Favourite Hank Marvin Concert Tour

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Favourite Hank Marvin Concert Tour

Postby Shadsguy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:05 pm

I don't think this has been asked on here if it has I apologize
What was the best Hank Marvin Tour between 1994-2002 six concert tours
For me it was the 1997 tour to promote Hank Plays Holly fantastic great sound too with the Alesis Q2 programmed with EFTP echo system and his Matchless DC30 amplifier great to hear Everyday Peggy Sue Oh Boy Raining In My Heart It Doesn't Matter Anymore That'll Be The Day and The Shads Medley to finish great to hear Midnight on this tour too for the first time in many years
Apache Wonderful Land Atlantis and The Savage sounded authentic like the originals
In saying that the 1998 tour was outstanding with Sacha and the acoustic guitar stand Phantom Of The Opera and Shadoogie to start the show Gonzales and Peace Pipe were played too as was The Stranger and 36-24-36 in the fantastic Shads Medley
All Hanks Tours were outstanding I enjoyed the Final Your too just never liked the sound of the KCP Marvin Amplifier not my taste enjoyed the more treble vintage sound from Vox Matchless or the Pinnacle used on the 2005 tour fantastic Vox/Matchless style amplifier just my opinion
Hank's playing and presentation faultless polished and professional as always
Would be great to hear other viewsregarding set list sound etc favourite tunes played live
Gavin
Shadsguy

Full Real Name: Gavin Ankers

Re: Favourite Hank Marvin Concert Tour

Postby bgohara » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:34 pm

Good post Gavin. 1997 was the first tour I saw (though the 1995 tour obviously came out on video and CD I think just before) - and the EFTP was a revelation. I remember hearing Wonderful Land and just thinking ‘wow’. There was a great set list on that tour as you say - and the stage presentation was superb with the bendy strat. Hank did ‘it doesn’t matter anymore’ on the stand - and as you say, it was fantastic to hear Midnight which was always one of my favourites, alongside the medley.

I saw the 1998, 2000 and 2002 tours after that. All were superb. Like yourself, a personal favourite was Sacha on the acoustic on the stand - which looked and sounded great (I believe he played it on the 1998 and 2002 tours). The medleys were slightly different on each of those tours - but again were all brilliant (36-24-36 making an appearance). I believe Warren and Mark must have had an influence on those setlists - rarities / never heard before tracks like Golden Street and Mustang making an appearance in 2000.

I like all the tours for different reasons. I loved the acoustic stuff in 2002 - to tie in with the Guitar Player tour, and the 2000 tour was very special for me as Hank played in Belfast (and I did get to go the sound check and met up with Warren). The 1997 tour opened and closed with Apache - superb, and the Hank version of the Brian May version of the Shadows version of FBI. But I would say probably the 40th anniversary tour in 1998 was my favourite, brilliant set list - including Shadoogie, Phantom of the Opera, Sacha. I loved those solo tours - Hank’s playing was superb, the band was great (couple of different drummers - all great) and the material and presentation was first rate. It’s a shame there isn’t an official record of each of the solo tours from 1994 onwards - I know that tour with Brian was videoed (but was deemed unusable for some reason) but I’m sure that the band recorded audio from each tour. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if the audio from a show from each tour could be officially released? Indeed, Hank does have some home video taken from his camcorder from at least the 2000 tour which he has teased he could maybe do some work on and ‘get out there’. It would be fantastic if that happened.
With best wishes and thanks for bringing back memories of those tours with your post.
Bernard
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby MikeAB » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:25 pm

1997 was without doubt the best sound, and maybe the best tour as well - a great shame the Strat sound wasn't set up like that for the Shads Final Tour DVD.

The first tour was a revelation though - loved the 2 I's segment.
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby Shadsguy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:37 pm

Good thoughts on HanksTours Bernard yes I hope Hank gets around to releasing the 2000 Tour on Dvd would be fantastic especially with great audio
Yes MikeAB got to agree Hanks 1997 sound was mind-blowing great vintage tone from his Matchless Amplifier
It's always great to hear other people's views and opinions on things it's what makes these fan community boards worthwhile
Shadsguy

Postby bor64 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:54 pm

I've bin to all Hank tours multiple times.
Love then all, but the '97 was indeed a pleasant surprise, early in the tour Hank used some prototype Denis Cornell Hank Marvin amps with the also new Q2.
What a sound....when I visit a later gig in the tour ...a pair of Matchless DC30, again what a sound!!!
I asked Lionel(Hanks guitar tech) what happened with the Cornell amps....he told me with a grimly smile... they are out!
According to Warren Bennet every show was recorded at the sound desk, for future reference.
I've seen some raw footage of the videoed shows and it would be nice to have that on official release.
But I guess it's very expensive process.
It's easier to bring out a already made DVD with a different sleeve...
But the modern generation isn't interested in DVD's and the target group of our beloved music is shrinking by the day so.....

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Shadsguy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:04 am

thanks for the info rob thats interesting to hear information regarding hanks tours they were all good especially the outstanding 1997 tour and 1998 40th anniversary tour
we can only hope for any official releases especially with the upcoming 60th anniversary of apache this july
Shadsguy

Postby drakula63 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:04 pm

I went to several of these tours, can't exactly remember which years now. I was certainly at the first, in 1994, when me and a friend went to see Hank, Brian and the lads in Hull.

For me, however, the one I do remember the most was the one in 2000. A friend and I went to see Hank in Nottingham and, thanks to Warren Bennett, we got back stage, actually onto the stage and sat in on the soundcheck. Won't forget that in a hurry! Thanks Warren! Also got to meet our esteemed leader, Dave Martin and his son, and Ben Marvin. Hank walked within a couple of feet of myself and my friend, as we were waiting back stage, and although he smiled and said 'Hi', we didn't actually speak. Also got to meet the legendary Hoffers, who was also back stage.

2000 was a helluva great year - for so many reasons! - and this was one of the highlights. Sadly, now, I cannot really differentiate between the various gigs in terms of sound, set lists, etc. I do remember that the late Peter May was on drums for this tour and I preferred his way of playing to that of his successor.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Hank2k » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:43 pm

My favourite was the 1997. Went to see Hank at Brentwood Theatre with my Mum and Dad.

Wonderful memories and i still pour over the 1997 tour brochure to this day. Great picture on the back of Hank with his autograph strat with 2 post trem!
Hank2k

Postby drakula63 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:51 pm

Now that I think about it, I think I went to see the 1997 tour at the Nottingham Royal Concert Hall. I seem to remember that Matt Letley was on drums and both me and my friend (who were both drummers) thought that his snare volume was far too loud compared to the rest of the kit. It spoiled the overall sound as it was just like a gunshot every second and didn't fit with the rest of the shall we say ambience. Always thought that Pete May was a better drummer and had a better sound and style. Having said that, I remember mentioning this to Warren and he disagreed. But, for me, May was the better fit of the two. I didn't see the 2002 tour.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:31 pm

The only concert of Hank's solo tours I saw, was at the Concertgebouw in The Hague on April 19th, 2000, so I cannot compare with concerts from other tours. Nevertheless, it was a very special one for me and also my father, because it was the very first time we ever saw Hank in concert. Highlights were tracks from the then new album "Marvin At The Movies", other solo material, a performance of The Shadows' "Mustang" and a new composition by Hank and Ben, which was untitled then, but was later called "A Tall-A Tall Dark Stranger".
Of course we did see Hank in concert again, but as a member of The Shadows in 2004, 2005 and 2009.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Next

Return to The Shadows