Favourite Hank Marvin Concert Tour

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Favourite Hank Marvin Concert Tour

Postby bgohara » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:56 pm

bor64 wrote:I've bin to all Hank tours multiple times.
Love then all, but the '97 was indeed a pleasant surprise, early in the tour Hank used some prototype Denis Cornell Hank Marvin amps with the also new Q2.
What a sound....when I visit a later gig in the tour ...a pair of Matchless DC30, again what a sound!!!
I asked Lionel(Hanks guitar tech) what happened with the Cornell amps....he told me with a grimly smile... they are out!
According to Warren Bennet every show was recorded at the sound desk, for future reference.
I've seen some raw footage of the videoed shows and it would be nice to have that on official release.
But I guess it's very expensive process.
It's easier to bring out a already made DVD with a different sleeve...
But the modern generation isn't interested in DVD's and the target group of our beloved music is shrinking by the day so.....

Cheers Rob

Rob

I believe that the Cornell Amps were in use during at least part of the 1998 tour. I saw a few gigs on that tour and he was definitely using them. This was also the tour where the easy mute trek made its first appearance as I recall.
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby bgohara » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:05 pm

drakula63 wrote:Now that I think about it, I think I went to see the 1997 tour at the Nottingham Royal Concert Hall. I seem to remember that Matt Letley was on drums and both me and my friend (who were both drummers) thought that his snare volume was far too loud compared to the rest of the kit. It spoiled the overall sound as it was just like a gunshot every second and didn't fit with the rest of the shall we say ambience. Always thought that Pete May was a better drummer and had a better sound and style. Having said that, I remember mentioning this to Warren and he disagreed. But, for me, May was the better fit of the two. I didn't see the 2002 tour.

Of the drummers on those solo tours (excluding Brian of course, who had equal billing with Hank in 1994), for me Peter May was the most genteel - a lovely guy but a journeyman (and of course he is very sadly no longer with us - he was also Cliff’s go to drummer for many years). Matt was a great rock drummer (indeed, he left part way through the 2000 tour to join Status Quo, on what turned out to be a long term stint, to be replaced by Pete May). I thought that Matt was a great player and gave the band a great edge. Though, as you say, he was LOUD! Fergus Gerrand struck me as a virtuoso - and a particularly good percussionist. Indeed he played with sticks on a guitar case during ‘Benny’s Toon’. I enjoyed them all in different ways. As Matt was on the 1997 and 1998 (and indeed the early part of the 2000 tour - I saw him at Wimbledon theatre), my vote probably goes to him as the best of the three.
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby drakula63 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:41 am

bgohara wrote:
drakula63 wrote:Now that I think about it, I think I went to see the 1997 tour at the Nottingham Royal Concert Hall. I seem to remember that Matt Letley was on drums and both me and my friend (who were both drummers) thought that his snare volume was far too loud compared to the rest of the kit. It spoiled the overall sound as it was just like a gunshot every second and didn't fit with the rest of the shall we say ambience. Always thought that Pete May was a better drummer and had a better sound and style. Having said that, I remember mentioning this to Warren and he disagreed. But, for me, May was the better fit of the two. I didn't see the 2002 tour.

Of the drummers on those solo tours (excluding Brian of course, who had equal billing with Hank in 1994), for me Peter May was the most genteel - a lovely guy but a journeyman (and of course he is very sadly no longer with us - he was also Cliff’s go to drummer for many years). Matt was a great rock drummer (indeed, he left part way through the 2000 tour to join Status Quo, on what turned out to be a long term stint, to be replaced by Pete May). I thought that Matt was a great player and gave the band a great edge. Though, as you say, he was LOUD! Fergus Gerrand struck me as a virtuoso - and a particularly good percussionist. Indeed he played with sticks on a guitar case during ‘Benny’s Toon’. I enjoyed them all in different ways. As Matt was on the 1997 and 1998 (and indeed the early part of the 2000 tour - I saw him at Wimbledon theatre), my vote probably goes to him as the best of the three.

Whilst I can fully understand why Matt would want to leave a 'backing group' to join a 'famous group', playing Quo numbers wouldn't have taxed him at all. Without wishing to sound disrespectful to any Quo drummer, I've played a couple of Quo songs in my time and you could virtually play them in your sleep. Yes, there's a skill to playing good, steady, hard and heavy drumming, but it's really not something that any drummer should baulk at. There was far more light and shade and variety in Cliff, Shads, Hank set lists. I'm sure that Matt was a fine drummer, but when (as a drummer oneself) you come away from a gig and all you can remember about the drummer was that his snare drum was too loud, it kind of says something. I remember Warren saying that what he liked about Matt was that he held his sticks 'like dad' - in other words with the 'military grip'. Fair enough, but I'm still inclined to think, based on my memory, that Pete fitted the band better than Matt. But, at the end of the day, they were both good enough for Hank and so that's good enough for me. But, purely on the drumming front, the 1994 gig was by far the best!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby drakula63 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:46 pm

I must just mention this 'memory'.

In 2002, on what was billed as Hank's final tour, for one reason or another, I decided not to bother going. Me and my friend had been to see two or three of his gigs at the Nottingham Royal Concert Hall, but in 2002, although we discussed it, I decided that I didn't really fancy going. I'm sure you can see where this is leading...

Anyway, a few days after the Nottingham gig, it became known to us that none other than Brian Bennett had got up at the gig - the gig we WOULD have been at if I'd decided to go! - and played a couple of tunes with Hank and the others (Wonderful Land and Foot Tapper...?). Anyway, you can imagine what was said to me over the phone at that point! And, yes, I was kicking myself! But, all was not lost. A year or so later, with the announcement of The Shadows final tour, I managed to get front row seats for the Nottingham gig and a year or so later, after enjoying the show, we both ended up meeting Brian Bennett and the others in the Indian restaurant near the venue! A night never to be forgotten and it more than made up for not seeing Brian at the 2002 Hank gig!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby bor64 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi Bernard,

I assume your right, as some wrote before me... difficult to set apart all tours in your mind and in combo with some senior moments...well what was I'm saying?

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Fenderman » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:18 pm

I only saw Hank live solo twice - 1994 and 2000. At the 2000 show which was at the Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow he walked on briskly and went into Shindig. It was fantastic gig, played all the old classics and i swear the man never missed a note or played any bum notes. As we were leaving i overheard someone say 'He doesn't need the other guys!'. I would have interjected but had a bus to catch! That was probably my favourite Hank gig.
The 1994 gig (with Brian Bennett) was a smaller affair probably as it was his first proper solo tour he was probably testing the water, he played the Motherwell Concert Hall.
After the 2nd of 3rd number Warren called Hank over and he announced the keyboard had cut out so he played Foot Tapper while it was repaired, he said a fuse had blown and it was fixed and said 'We'll have a whip round for the meter!'.
He played a few rock and roll tracks that weren't recorded but i only remember Twenty Flight Rock. He also played a new track called 'Motherwell Boogie' which i think turned into 'Redback' the following year. Another great gig.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby abstamaria » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:30 pm

You are all lucky to have seen The concerts. I have never seen Hank or the Shadows live. I’ve seen the Ventures twice, when they played here in Manila, but my other hero - Bob Bogle - was not with them.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby MikeAB » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:26 pm

I saw Hank's first tour gig with Wife and Daughter at the Manchester Apollo and it was only half full - corrected very quickly on later tours! On a freezing night those of us at the stage door were invited in and met Hank, Brian and the 'sons'. Always remembered and with a photo to prove it!
Last edited by MikeAB on Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby Derek Mowbray » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:01 pm

I am looking at the 1997 tour program me this was at The Grande Theater in Leeds ,Hank was in great form and he played Gonzales ,he said the Shadows never played this on stage ,this was the first tour with Matthew Letley on drums great concert .
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

Postby Fenderman » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:08 pm

When I went to see Hank in 2000 i'm sure the tour program said the drummer was Matthew Letley but it turned out to be Peter May, must have been a last minute change.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows