Favourite Hank Marvin Concert Tour

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Favourite Hank Marvin Concert Tour

Postby drakula63 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:56 am

Fenderman wrote:When I went to see Hank in 2000 i'm sure the tour program said the drummer was Matthew Letley but it turned out to be Peter May, must have been a last minute change.

Yes, it was. Matt Letley started the tour but then got offered the chance to join Status Quo, so Hank let him go and got Pete May back for the remainder of the tour.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:55 am

abstamaria wrote:You are all lucky to have seen The concerts. I have never seen Hank or the Shadows live. I’ve seen the Ventures twice, when they played here in Manila, but my other hero - Bob Bogle - was not with them.

Andy

I quite like The Ventures' music too. A pity I never got to see them live, as to my knowledge, they mostly performed in their native USA, Japan and some other countries in that region. When you saw The Ventures, was that after Bob Bogle's retirement from the group or after he died? Was it Bob Spalding on bass guitar?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby andykombi » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:38 pm

It was all ways fun to try and get to the front and have a butchers at the set list .
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Postby Andy Stace » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:09 pm

I liked all of the tours as it was seeing the man himself. However I never really had the same level of anticipation or expectation that I had for Shad's concerts, did anyone else feel the same?
Andy Stace

Full Real Name: Andrew Stace

Postby abstamaria » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:31 am

[/quote] I quite like The Ventures' music too. A pity I never got to see them live, as to my knowledge, they mostly performed in their native USA, Japan and some other countries in that region. When you saw The Ventures, was that after Bob Bogle's retirement from the group or after he died? Was it Bob Spalding on bass guitar?[/quote]

Hello, Ivo. Bob Bogle had retired by the time of the two concerts I saw. I can’t recall if he had passed away by the 2nd concert. Bob Spalding was at least in the 2nd concert; Nokie was so weak he was propped up against a stool. Don Wilson was as enthusiastic and energetic as usual: he thanked his parents for the genes to allow him to keep doing the tours and his children for making it necessary. I got the large Manila paper sheet taped on the stage floor in front of Don with the set list written in LARGE letters.

They didn’t sound at all like the early recordings, but if was a treat to watch them still.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby Shadsguy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:22 am

It's been great to hear everyone's views memories and opinions on Hank's concert tours I saw 4 in total the 1997,1998 ,2000 and 2002 final your
All fantastic playing setlist and stage presentation fantastic band with ben,Warren and Mark regular band members I liked both Pete May and Matt Letley on drums Fergus seemed good too but as I said previously the sound of the KCP Marvin Amplifier put me off the show either too mellow or too bassy on certain tracks just my opinion Hanks playing always professional and outstanding I loved the Matchless and Cornell amplifier far more vintage sounding and more suited for the classic sound I enjoyed the Hank plays Live 1995 tour on Dvd it's a pity the Dvd doesn't have wonderful land living doll and the rest of the show the full concert on Dvd but the concerts were all a good experience and very enjoyable
I really enjoyed the Birmingham Encore Concert 2005 what a sound I believe Matchless Amplifier Heads and Pinnacle speakers were used a really vintage sharp sound with plenty twang and treble on that show I wish that had been videod for Dvd release
Shadsguy

Full Real Name: Gavin Ankers

Postby LONGPLAYER09 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:40 am

Like most people, I've been lucky to see a lot of their tours (& with Cliff). Just dug out an old diary (1980) & found that i saw them at Blackpool. It was October 25th, & very cold. I can just about remember them joking about wearing overcoats on stage. Hazy memory now, but at least i recalled the night. Sure it was a good show!
LONGPLAYER09

Full Real Name: Mick Annis

Postby andykombi » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:37 pm

Talking about Amps
Why did hank change from vox to
A amp thats a name of a classic british motorcycle
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Postby Fenderman » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:07 pm

I think Hank himself was unhappy with the KCP amp and ditched it after the tour.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby MikeAB » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:20 pm

Too late
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows