Rocking with curly leeds

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Rocking with curly leeds

Postby flingal64 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:35 am

Just a small input. From time to time , I play my old shadows albums,(actually, I do it very often)
and yesterday it was RWCL. What a fantastisc album. I know it's hard
to rate all the albums, but could this be the best?
I cannot find anything 'wrong' with this album. :clap:
flingal64

Full Real Name: Gerhardt Folgerø

Re: Rocking with curly leeds

Postby Fenderman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:57 am

Hmm, it's certainly a different sounding album, a bit heavier than earlier albums. I like some tracks on it (Pinball wizard, Gracie and the title track spring to mind). It's not my favourite by a long way (that would go to Shadow Music or Tasty). It didn't do very well when it first came out and i don't think the other Shads have a high regard for it now but all in all it's a fine album.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby captainhaddock » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:35 pm

I have always loved this album. I remember buying it at the age of 11 when it first came out and it was the first new release album, by the Shadows, that I bought. I was immensely proud of the album and didn't care who knew that I owned it , unlike many of the subsequent releases by the band. I particularly loved and still do love the track "Humbucker", the fantastic interplay between Hank Marvin and John Fararr at the end of this track still sends shivers down my spine when I put the CD on in the car today. It reminds me of my 11 year old self hearing it for the first time via headphones, right channel-v-left channel, I believe this is called "Call and Response" in the Jazz world ?. So for me, if I am allowed an opinion on this forum, it has to rank as one of the best Shadows albums of all time and a reminder of what the band could have produced when stretched by a genius like John Fararr. The only sad thing for me now is what would it have been like with the input of John Rostill ?
captainhaddock

Postby JimN » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:58 pm

Like captainhaddock, I was bowled over by "Rocking With Curly Leads". I was a bit older than 11 when I got the LP (at the beginning of 1974). It was completely unexpected at the time and it didn't seem to me that there would ever be another Shadows album, or even a Shadows appearance.

Yes, for me (and, I understand, for Brian Bennett, who sounds as though he is having a ball), this is the best-ever Shadows long-player; it retains much of the original early sixties sound, but tempers it with the best of the rock guitar developments which had occurred over the thirteen years since Apache.

I keep a copy in the car for the CD-player and was listening to it just this week. I can't see that ever happening for "Simply Shadows" ;)

JN
Last edited by JimN on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby roninnes » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:51 pm

I don't remember the city of Leeds being that curly.

However as an album, Rocking with curly LEADS does rate as one of their best efforts, mainly because it was different. I am sure that it is probably a love it or hate it album for the aforementioned reason.

1vote for love it.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby aardvarkd » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:30 pm

For anyone who missed the album there are copies available on Amazon for a mere £85 to £95 at the moment.... possibly time for a budget-price reissue?
aardvarkd

Postby Pierre TEODORI » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:29 pm

This album is one of my favourite. I know it's not the cup of tea of those of us who only like the first Shadows albums, but anyway it's really a great album, with great tunes, great sounds and playing.
Regards
Pierre
Pierre TEODORI

Postby Ramon » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:50 pm

roninnes wrote:I don't remember the city of Leeds being that curly.
:lol: :lol:

I hardly knew the Shadows when I bought the RWCL reissue in 1999. I had also just bought a great HiFi equipment for my home just a bit before. These two factors combined meant a turning point in my musical taste. The sound and perfection in songs like "Years Away" or "Turn Around and Touch Me" seem unbelievable to me. Actually I thought at that time that most surely the Shadows wouldn't play live, as it was impossible to come close to such perfect sound in a live environment. Little did I know I would get to see them live twice a few years later.

Cheers,
Ramon.
Ramon

Postby Moderne » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:41 pm

I think it's a great LP with superb playing and a nice range of contemporary guitar sounds. Brian's playing is every bit as good as Hank, Bruce and John (and Alan T) and I enjoyed the anecdote he relayed to Rob B about an old dear who brought them sandwiches while they were rehearsing in a Finchley Scout hut. My least favourite tracks are the two covers, as - for me - they're not significantly different to the originals...I can't see the point of them other than having recognizable titles on the tracklisting (another 6 years before this policy took over completely, of course!). Humbucker (Hank and John's superb interplay already mentioned), the wistful Gracie and Jungle Jam with Hank's marvellous fade-out are my favourite song on the LP - which still sounds great on vinyl! The Hipgnosis sleeve is a masterpiece as well. Those were the days - and to think it only came out a few months after Hank Marvin & John Farrar!! I think I (aged 10) was more into Tie a Yellow Ribbon and Eye Level at the time!

Clive
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:20 am

To me it was a delight after the somewhat disappointing Shades of Rock especially as I never thought there'd be another Shads album at all. I liked the fact that they had developed musically and were doing new things so well. The only shame to me was that the single release was the rather "safe" Turn Around and Touch Me which seemed more of a hark back to former glories than many of the other more innovative tracks. That said, I know many people love it! I remember Wogan's surprised comment when he first played it "The Shudders are back!"
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Next

Return to The Shadows