White Stratocaster

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: White Stratocaster

Postby Teflon » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:38 am

Just to add an additional comment to this thread that may (or may not!) shed some light:

I was following a discussion on Facebook regarding 34346, and a chap posted to say he was very confused by the guitars used by The Shadows in the early years, mainly by the changes in fretboard type (maple to rosewood). He finished the comment with a "throw away" line, saying that he saw them in Cape town Alhambra theatre, 22 march 1961, and "even Cliff had a white Strat for the number "What'd I Say". Of course, I thought of this thread and the picture of the white Strat. Could this be the answer I wonder? I've personally no idea, but the date seems to tie in nicely.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Teflon » Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:57 pm

I just asked the chap on Facebook If the rest of The Shads also had white guitars when he saw them in Cape town. He said no. This would suggest that Cliff perhaps had 34346 resprayed white as soon as he got it back from Hank, rather than having it re-painted to match the Shadows white guitars later on. It could even have been the white 34346 that inspired the band to swap to white once they were offered their next set of instruments.

All guess work though - would be nice to ask Bruce the question.

Cliff
Teflon

Postby GoldenStreet » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:23 pm

Cliff - It has been interesting to re-read this thread. Looking again at the dressing room picture, I would suggest the Strat in question does have a maple board (although somewhat 'grubby' in appearance), featuring black dot fret markers, which logically would have shown up more readily as the white ones with a rosewood board. With this in mind, reinforced by the report of Cliff appearing with a white Strat, my conclusion is that this is another instrument altogether and nothing to do with 34346... unless, unless!

The photo would appear to pose another question! Was Jet (furthest away from the camera) blond haired at the time or sporting his natural darker haired look??

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby JimN » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:11 pm

The last time I had a chance to chat to Bruce about 34346, he told me that when The Shadows were issued with the JMI-loan red Fenders in 1961, the original Cliff-owned Strat had already been damaged (some would say "worn") on several different occasions, leant against doors which someone opened, etc.

The body paint had become chipped and scruffy. That can even be seen in some colour photographs of the time (especially alternative shots from the one which was used for the front cover of the first UK LP). And of course, in 1961, any idea of a vintage guitar market (or even of there being any difference in desirability between new and older guitars) was some years off in the future. Having the Strat's body resprayed would have seemed, as the kids say these days, a no-brainer.

One other thing: the white guitar seen in the hands of Cliff in that photo right back at the top of the thread may or may not have been 34346. But whereas there has been discussion as to whether it has a maple or rosewood fretboard, the conclusion that it might have had a rosewood board cannot be sustained. It has black position dots (clearly visible). That means a maple fretboard. So the evidence leans heavily towards that guitar being 34346.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Teflon » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:42 pm

Interesting to hear about Bruces comments regarding the condition of 34346 by '61. To think they were so in awe of the instrument when they first opened the case, but within a year or 2 were letting it get knocked about in that way. Honestly, the attitude of those youngsters!! :D :D

On a personal note, I'm inclined to agree with Jim that the evidence points to the guitar being 34346, which would mean it was re-finished far earlier that I originally thought. If I ever get to see Bruce at Hersham again, I'll have to try and ask him, instead of just shaking his hand and telling him he's Bruce Welch (something I suspect he may already be aware of!).

As to the colour of Jets hair in the photo - another puzzle. He's in the shadows in more ways than one in that pic :)

Cliff
Teflon

Previous

Return to The Shadows