Bruce using a capo

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Bruce using a capo

Postby Stuart » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:31 pm

Does anyone know why Bruce used a capo on The Final reunion tour with Cliff.Notably on "Sea Cruise" which is in B flat.I don't think there was any finger picking work on that number and he is a very competent rhythm player.Any Ideas?
Stuart

Full Real Name: Stuart Watson

Re: Bruce using a capo

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:11 pm

I don’t know why but, if he used the capo on the first fret so he could play it in “A”, why not! He uses the capo on the third fret for 36-34-36 to great effect. It means the second chord in the rhythm solo can be “open string” which is a lot easier than a barre all the way across. One other thought, with arthritis I’m finding chord shapes harder to maintain. I’m not suggesting that’s Bruce’s reason but it would certainly help.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Stuart » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:19 pm

Yes Iain,you are right, he did exactly that, playing the A , D and E shape chords as you would at the nut end of the neck but it seemed surprising to see from someone of Bruce's standard.Possibly there was an injury or medical problem at the time??
Stuart

Postby artyman » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:52 pm

My colleague and I use Capo's on occasions to utilise different chord shapes and a mix of sounds. I seem to recall seeing Hank use one as well
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby Stuart » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:47 pm

Using a capo to allow fingerstyle picking of any or all strings in different keys is what it was designed for .But seeing it used for straight forward strumming of chords seems to point to a special reason.Playing B flat, E flat and F at the bottom of the neck using bar or barre chords sounds just the same with your finger doing the job of the capo.Its no big deal really, it just intrigued my curiosity!
Stuart

Postby Jay Bass » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:50 pm

Its also sometimes good to use a capo to obtain a better tone
open string chords to tend to ring and sustain a bit more than bar chords. also the bass side would sound cleaner
so maybe it was just a sound preference.
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby RayL » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:12 am

I agree with Jay. The way that open strings ring out when using a capo is somehow greater than when a forefinger is trying to hold down six strings.

In addition, Bruce would have been learning his chords in the mid-1950s. The available books, like 500 Chord Shapes For The Guitar by Keith Papworth (B.Feldman & Co Ltd, 3/-) show you the shapes, but not how to achieve them. No mention of the barré technique. It just looks as if you use the ends of your fingers. If you watch Bruce's left hand, he very rarely uses barré - its just the way he learnt to play.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Moderne » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:13 am

There seems to be an implication that using a capo when strumming chords indicates a lack of ability or degree of laziness. They are used so that the best-sounding chords can be played most easily - why make things difficult for yourself if you don't have to? The Shadows have used capos since the 60s - one can clearly be seen on the 5th fret of a Gibson acoustic on the cover of Brian's Change of Direction LP, a still from their Split '67 Song Contest performance, and Marvin, Welch, Farrar used capos on songs such as Lady of the Morning (2nd fret...so that the Key of D chords could be played although the song is in E, from memory!) Bruce's (or Hanks's) earliest use of a capo would be a more interesting discussion topic.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby bazmusicman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:46 am

RayL wrote:I agree with Jay. The way that open strings ring out when using a capo is somehow greater than when a forefinger is trying to hold down six strings.

In addition, Bruce would have been learning his chords in the mid-1950s. The available books, like 500 Chord Shapes For The Guitar by Keith Papworth (B.Feldman & Co Ltd, 3/-) show you the shapes, but not how to achieve them. No mention of the barré technique. It just looks as if you use the ends of your fingers. If you watch Bruce's left hand, he very rarely uses barré - its just the way he learnt to play.

I still have that chord book, '500 Chord Shapes For The Guitar' by Keith Papworth I bought in about 1960! Also 'Play in a Day' by Bert Weedon which I bought in about 1958/9.
I did have the pleasure of meeting Bert and his wife in about 1977, a really lovely bloke.
Regards,
BAZ.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby artyman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:45 am

I still have my 500 chord shapes as well, though the Bert Weedon tome has long since disappeared, an original is probably a collectors item now!
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Next

Return to The Shadows