45 years ago today...

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

45 years ago today...

Postby drakula63 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:39 pm

45 years ago today, 22nd March 1975, the Shadows came second in the Eurovision Song Contest with 'Let Me Be The One'. Of course they should have won, but a bit of tactical voting by the naughty Dutch put paid to that and secured them the victory! A shame... but there were are. When you look at the score board and realise that the Shads only lost by about 14 points and were miles ahead of everyone else, you realise how close they/we came to winning. As things stand, I can't honestly see us ever winning (or coming second!) again... certainly not this year, since the contest has been cancelled along with so many other things.

These are very worrying times, so let's cheer ourselves up with a photo or two, taken in the lead-up to the contest, with Lulu. Since there is no contest this year and since I can see a lot of 'live' programmes having to be temporarily shut down, maybe the BBC will treat us to an evening of 'The Best of Eurovision' ? If so, can I respectfully suggest, and hope, that the Shads are included!

Good Luck everyone.
Attachments
shadslulu4_opt.jpg
(47.54 KiB) Downloaded 2768 times
shadslulu5_opt.jpg
(44.23 KiB) Downloaded 2768 times
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: 45 years ago today...

Postby abstamaria » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:42 am

Wonderful photos, Chris. Thank you.

Yes, we’re in uncharted waters and must look for the good things - Manila is very quiet, and the air is clean! - and keep ourselves occupied. It’s good to see that photo with Lulu.

With good wishes for all,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Re: 45 years ago today...

Postby Didier » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:11 am

drakula63 wrote:45 years ago today, 22nd March 1975, the Shadows came second in the Eurovision Song Contest with 'Let Me Be The One'.

I remember Hank saying during the final Tour in 2004 : "we have been asked not to win, so we came second"...

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Return to The Shadows