It's Been A Blue Day - "Extra" note

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: It's Been A Blue Day - "Extra" note

Postby iefje » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:46 am

During the drumsolo of "Little 'B'", someone shouts "yeah!" a couple of times. This can be heard very clearly on the stereo version, but is almost inaudible on the mono version. Also, at the end of "Fly Me To The Moon", someone knocks on the body of the acoustic guitar. This can be heard on the mono version, not on the stereo version.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:57 pm

iefje wrote:During the drumsolo of "Little 'B'", someone shouts "yeah!" a couple of times. This can be heard very clearly on the stereo version, but is almost inaudible on the mono version. Also, at the end of "Fly Me To The Moon", someone knocks on the body of the acoustic guitar. This can be heard on the mono version, not on the stereo version.

Again, as with the John Rostill examples given earlier, I'd say that these exclamations during Little B - 'Yeah' and 'Hup - Hup Hup!' - are meant to be there. Sounds like Brian to me. Or Hank.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Tone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:08 pm

iefje wrote:During the drumsolo of "Little 'B'", someone shouts "yeah!" a couple of times. This can be heard very clearly on the stereo version, but is almost inaudible on the mono version. Also, at the end of "Fly Me To The Moon", someone knocks on the body of the acoustic guitar. This can be heard on the mono version, not on the stereo version.

I've always assumed it was Brian himself shouting on Little B. I haven't checked but, if I remember correctly, it comes at the first climax of the piece (before the other group members start playing again) and he was letting it all out!
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby GoldenStreet » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:57 pm

They sound genuine and spontaneous expressions of excitement and energy as the uniquely extended work (at the time) begins the approach to its climax.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:54 pm

I agree. Licorice tells of the session where Little B was recorded and said the rest of them gathered round Brian to encourage him. They also played the various percussion instruments so the "yeahs" could have been any of them - but most likely Brian (IMHO).
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Gatwick1946 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:36 pm

When CD's became popular in about 1985, I was amazed at the sound quality. On the 1961 recording of Nivram I can hear what I think is the drum kit (snare drum wires?) buzzing when Jet plays the bass solo. And, I admit that this could be my imagination, when I have seen The Rapiers play live, they reproduce these noises? i.e. little buzzes and clicks??? Perhaps its only my brain making the connection, because I have listened to the original recordings so much?

I'll get me coat!
Kindest regards and stay safe,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby JimN » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:50 pm

Gatwick1946 wrote:When CD's became popular in about 1985, I was amazed at the sound quality. On the 1961 recording of Nivram I can hear what I think is the drum kit (snare drum wires?) buzzing when Jet plays the bass solo. And, I admit that this could be my imagination, when I have seen The Rapiers play live, they reproduce these noises?

You immediately remind me of guitar shops (well, music shops) in the 1960s.

Whenever an electric guitar or bass was plugged in for demonstration purposes at (say) Hessy's in Liverpool, any loud note would make every snare drum in the shop rattle (and there might easily be ten of them around the sales area). Once heard, never forgotten.

One other thing... you weren't able to get Nivram on CD in 1985! It wasn't released on any CD until 1990 (when it was included on "The Original Chart Hits 1960-1980" as a bonus track - for the CD version but not the LP version).

The first re-release of the whole 1961 "The Shadows" LP on CD didn't happen until 1991 when it was released as a 2-on-1 with "Out Of The Shadows".
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:18 am

If you listen to the stereo version someone shouts something that sounds like 'hold it!' at the 1 minute mark. You can't hear it on the mono version.
Also about Fly me to the moon, i've heard this as well and wondered if 2 separate takes were done for mono and stereo.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby RayL » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:29 am

JimN wrote:Whenever an electric guitar or bass was plugged in for demonstration purposes at (say) Hessy's in Liverpool, any loud note would make every snare drum in the shop rattle (and there might easily be ten of them around the sales area). Once heard, never forgotten.

Snares are tensioned across the snare head by moving a lever. At the end of a gig or a session the drummer will normally take off the tension because it makes the snare last longer. Perhaps Hessy's were selling drum kits so fast that the assistants weren't bothered?
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Previous

Return to The Shadows