Wonderful Land glitch - and others

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Wonderful Land glitch

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:54 pm

iefje wrote:
franz wrote:And lets not forget Gonzales and its 54 or was it 76 takes before they got it right.

59 takes were recorded of "Gonzales", but take 58 was chosen as the master.

Slightly straying off topic, is it so that a 59th take was attempted? If the information in the Vic Rust discography is reliable, the 1997 compilation, The Shadows at Abbey Road, features take 57 and following studio chat, with the final 58th take being issued on the eponymous first album.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby iefje » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:09 am

GoldenStreet wrote:
iefje wrote:
franz wrote:And lets not forget Gonzales and its 54 or was it 76 takes before they got it right.

59 takes were recorded of "Gonzales", but take 58 was chosen as the master.

Slightly straying off topic, is it so that a 59th take was attempted? If the information in the Vic Rust discography is reliable, the 1997 compilation, The Shadows at Abbey Road, features take 57 and following studio chat, with the final 58th take being issued on the eponymous first album.

Bill

Yes, 59 takes (whether complete or breakdowns) were attempted. I have heard a couple of the last takes. "Gonzales" on the CD "The Shadows At Abbey Road" includes the breakdown of a previous take and studio chat, but that's not from take 57, but I think take 50 or 51. The take for The Shadows' first album is indeed take 58. By the way, I wouldn't use the Victor Rust discography as a basis for this kind of information, Malcolm Campbell's books are the most reliable.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby StuartD » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:18 am

[Slightly straying off topic, is it so that a 59th take was attempted? If the information in the Vic Rust discography is reliable, the 1997 compilation, The Shadows at Abbey Road, features take 57 and following studio chat, with the final 58th take being issued on the eponymous first album.]

I couldn't agree more!!

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby iefje » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:26 am

It is possible that a certain number of takes were recorded of a track and eventually an earlier take is selected as master. It doesn't always have to be the last take that will be chosen as the master. I have read that in some cases, tracks by The Beatles were represented not always by the last take of a track.

According to my sources, 59 takes were recorded of "Gonzales", with take 58 chosen as the master. Unless of course my sources are incorrect.
iefje

Postby UlrichS » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:26 pm

I can confirm that a complete take 59 of Gonzales was done and recorded. Copies including the announcement "Gonzales, take 59" are existing.

I hope this is of help

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:32 pm

UlrichS wrote:I can confirm that a complete take 59 of Gonzales was done and recorded. Copies including the announcement "Gonzales, take 59" are existing.

Yes that all makes sense, Ulrich.

I am reminded of Burt Bacharach coming to Abbey Road to produce Cilla Black singing Alfie. After 32 takes everyone was getting tired and George Martin, who was hosting the session, asked Bacharach how much more he wanted to do. If I recall correctly, BB said "I'm still looking for that certain something." Martin said, "We had it in take 8! Let's send everyone home and use that."
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby GoldenStreet » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:40 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:
UlrichS wrote:I can confirm that a complete take 59 of Gonzales was done and recorded. Copies including the announcement "Gonzales, take 59" are existing.

Yes that all makes sense, Ulrich.

I am reminded of Burt Bacharach coming to Abbey Road to produce Cilla Black singing Alfie. After 32 takes everyone was getting tired and George Martin, who was hosting the session, asked Bacharach how much more he wanted to do. If I recall correctly, BB said "I'm still looking for that certain something." Martin said, "We had it in take 8! Let's send everyone home and use that."

Yes, a good story... as the takes start to pile up, inevitably everyone involved gradually becomes more frayed around the edges, an atmosphere scarcely conducive to producing progressively superior performances!

Thanks, Ulrich, for the confirmation... I never doubted anyone's word, I was merely curious about a seemingly unique recording marathon! Were there ever more takes for one track?

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby iefje » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:07 am

GoldenStreet wrote:Yes, a good story... as the takes start to pile up, inevitably everyone involved gradually becomes more frayed around the edges, an atmosphere scarcely conducive to producing progressively superior performances!

Thanks, Ulrich, for the confirmation... I never doubted anyone's word, I was merely curious about a seemingly unique recording marathon! Were there ever more takes for one track?

Bill

In the book "The Shadows By Themselves" and/or "The Story Of The Shadows" Jet mentioned that it took over 90 attempts to record "Jet Black".
iefje

Postby iefje » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:12 am

Of The Beatles' opening track "I Saw Her Standing There" from their first album "Please Please Me", at least 9 takes were recorded. Interestingly, in the end, take 1 of the track was used on the album, with Paul McCartney's count-in from take 9.
iefje

Postby GoldenStreet » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:23 pm

iefje wrote:
In the book "The Shadows By Themselves" and/or "The Story Of The Shadows" Jet mentioned that it took over 90 attempts to record "Jet Black".

Yes, that quote comes from the Mike Read book (and A Pocket Guide.) For, essentially, such a simple and uncomplicated tune and with their inexperience in the studio at the point, it would appear to demonstrate remarkable patience and tolerance on Norrie's part that he allowed that number of attempts at the track. Clearly, he must have thought it deserved such perseverance!

Bill
GoldenStreet

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows