Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Marvin & Farrar concert setlists

Postby andykombi » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:51 pm

What echo unit was hank using
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Postby bor64 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:07 pm

Either a Baby Binson or a Echoplex...I reckon....

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby StuartD » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:09 pm

HI

He was using the Echoplex. He had a a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a couple of AC30's and we spent the whole afternoon listening to various combinations with me playing the white Strat and Hank listening.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby StuartD » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:11 pm

alewis41 wrote:In his excellent book 17 Watts aka Play Like Elvis Mo Foster tells a funny story about being on tour with Marvin & Farrar.

Andrew

They also did a great version of The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down with Hank playing slide on Gibson Melody Maker.
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby andykombi » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:52 pm

Like most ive only heard the paris concert from
75 . But i have seen photos that show a binson
Echo unit .from around i think 71 or maybe a little later. but not heard anything on YouTube or here live
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Postby Fenderman » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:15 am

Slightly off topic i was browsing the Internet Movie Database the other day and found that Hank in 1971 had appeared on i think, The Golden Shot but was billed as 'The New Shadows'. I have never seen Hank or the boys billed as this. Was this a short lived new venture? Perhaps to bring John Farrar into the band but i thought the Shadows were inactive at this time?
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby drakula63 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:16 pm

Fenderman wrote:Slightly off topic i was browsing the Internet Movie Database the other day and found that Hank in 1971 had appeared on i think, The Golden Shot but was billed as 'The New Shadows'. I have never seen Hank or the boys billed as this. Was this a short lived new venture? Perhaps to bring John Farrar into the band but i thought the Shadows were inactive at this time?

This MUST be simply an error, as at this point they were Marvin, Welch and Farrar.

This programme went out at 4.40 on Sunday 18th July 1971 on Anglia (4.45 on London Weekend). In the TV TIMES they were billed as 'Marvin, Welch and Farrar. The Anglia TV Times has a small write-up; "Former Shadows Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch have teamed up with Australian John Farrar to form a vocal / Instrumental group."
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Moderne » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:08 pm

iefje wrote:
StuartD wrote:HI

They played Wakefield Theatre Club. Alan Jones was on Bass and Bobby Worth on Drums.

It was Alan's First appearance with them in any form and Pat Farrar played ARP synth and sang harmonies.

They opened with So Hard to Live with and the rest of the set was similar to the ones already posted

Regards

Stuart

Another change of personnel. I would love to have heard a live version of "So Hard To Live With". I think it's one of the best songs on Hank and John's album. Thanks Stuart!

I think So Hard to Live With is one of the best opening tracks on any album; what a great concert opener that would've been!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Previous

Return to The Shadows