Marvin & Farrar concert setlists

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Marvin & Farrar concert setlists

Postby iefje » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:14 pm

Does anyone have any information on setlists of concerts by Marvin & Farrar, apart from their set in Tokyo from the "Cliff 'Live' In Japan '72" double live album? I think it has been discussed here before, but I cannot find the thread or threads.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: Marvin & Farrar concert setlists

Postby Moderne » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:32 pm

Hi Ivo,

On 31st March 1974 at Lakeside Country Club, their set was:-

Keep the Customer Satisfied
Lonesome Mole
Wonderful Land
Music Makes My Day
Marmaduke
Turn Around and Touch Me
Flingel Bunt
Lara's Theme
Tiny Robin
Time Drags By
Take Me Home, Country Roads
The Banks of the Ohio
In the Country
The Day I Met Marie
Apache
FBI
Lucille/Rip It Up/Blue Suede Shoes

The band were:- Cliff Hall (keyboards), Dave Ackley (bass), Andrew Steel (drums) and Jean Hawker (b/vocals)

I got this information from the Patrick Doncaster/Tony Jasper biography of Cliff...which has a number of interesting Cliff/Shadows set lists at the back (this is the only Marvin & Farrar one, though).

All good wishes,

Clive
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby alewis41 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:01 pm

Hey Clive!

Very cool to see this info and the mention of Jean Hawker. We know of course that Pat Carroll also did backing vocals with Marvin and Farrar after Bruce left but I didn't know about Jean.

Asccording to Google, Jean Hawker (née Ryder) was a member of the Breakaways who provided backing to Jimi Hendrix and many others, the De Laine Sisters along with Maggie Stredder previously of The Ladybirds and the Vernon Girls!

The Shads connection seems to be from husband Mike Hawker who co-wrote "Help It Along" with Brian Bennett for Cliff.

Interesting setlist also.

Cheers,

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby iefje » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:47 am

Hello Clive, thank you for the setlist, a very interesting one indeed! Very varied it is too: some Shadows hits, some Marvin, Welch & Farrar tracks, some Cliff Richard hits, some standards and also the (then) latest Shadows single, as well as their own single and album track "Music Makes My Day". Did they ever perform any of the other tracks from the album "Hank Marvin & John Farrar"?
iefje

Postby Moderne » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:42 am

Thanks...glad it was of interest. Here's that book I mentioned...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cliff-Richar ... Swt8JeIHBn

...worth buying for the setlists at the end!

I never made the Mike Hawker connection, Andrew. How interesting! According to The Story of The Shadows Mike Read book, he and Brian Bennett had a publishing company around 1969-70.

Would love to know who sang lead on the two Livvy hits which M&F included. As far as I know they never performed any other songs from the Hank Marvin & John Farrar album. They can be seen singing Music Makes My Day (from the 1974 Cliff Richard series) on YouTube. They were guests on the first episode and Cliff and Hank did some comedy sketches like they had done a few years previously on the It's Cliff Richard show.
Last edited by Moderne on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby UlrichS » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:58 am

Hi Ivo,

I have this information:

19.-25.08.1974 - La Dolce Vita in Birmingham

Hank Marvin (g, voc), John Farrar (g, voc), Mo Foster (bg), Pat Carroll (syn, voc), Andrew Steele (drms)

Keep The Customer Satisfied – Lonesome Mole – Wonderful Land – Music Makes My Day – Marmaduke – Turn Around And Touch Me – The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt – Sleepwalk – Willie And The Hand Jive – Apache – F.B.I. – Lucille / Rip It Up / Blue Suede Shoes

Best wishes,

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby iefje » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:55 am

UlrichS wrote:Hi Ivo,

I have this information:

19.-25.08.1974 - La Dolce Vita in Birmingham

Hank Marvin (g, voc), John Farrar (g, voc), Mo Foster (bg), Pat Carroll (syn, voc), Andrew Steele (drms)

Keep The Customer Satisfied – Lonesome Mole – Wonderful Land – Music Makes My Day – Marmaduke – Turn Around And Touch Me – The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt – Sleepwalk – Willie And The Hand Jive – Apache – F.B.I. – Lucille / Rip It Up / Blue Suede Shoes

Best wishes,

Ulrich

Another interesting setlist, some tracks similar to the ones Clive posted. This is probably where they developed the dual lead guitar arrangement of "Sleepwalk", which we all know from the "Live At The Paris Olympia" album. Great that they did "Willie And The Hand Jive" too. I wonder how they sang that one as a duo. Also interesting to see a line-up change of the backing band in just five months time. Thank you for the information Ulrich! :thumbup:
iefje

Postby StuartD » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:35 am

HI

They played Wakefield Theatre Club. Alan Jones was on Bass and Bobby Worth on Drums.

It was Alan's First appearance with them in any form and Pat Farrar played ARP synth and sang harmonies.

They opened with So Hard to Live with and the rest of the set was similar to the ones already posted

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby iefje » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:10 pm

StuartD wrote:HI

They played Wakefield Theatre Club. Alan Jones was on Bass and Bobby Worth on Drums.

It was Alan's First appearance with them in any form and Pat Farrar played ARP synth and sang harmonies.

They opened with So Hard to Live with and the rest of the set was similar to the ones already posted

Regards

Stuart

Another change of personnel. I would love to have heard a live version of "So Hard To Live With". I think it's one of the best songs on Hank and John's album. Thanks Stuart!
iefje

Postby alewis41 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:42 pm

In his excellent book 17 Watts aka Play Like Elvis Mo Foster tells a funny story about being on tour with Marvin & Farrar.

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Next

Return to The Shadows