Sky- A Time To Confess.

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Sky- A Time To Confess.

Postby George Geddes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:05 pm

Awakening and Life and other games have both been recently re-released on CD. well worth picking them up. His even rarer Guitar Junction album is available through ITunes.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby drakula63 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Sky were absolutely brilliant.

I can remember first hearing about them in the summer of 1978, when their formation was announced. It wasn't until 1980, however, that I eventually heard and saw them on Top of the Pops playing Toccata. I was absolutely blown away and became a fan there and then.

A few points of trivia:

Francis also plays on Brian Bennett's album Voyage - which really has to be in everyone's record collection. It was released commercially and as a library album with the titles changed.

Steve Gray, who replaced Francis in sky, also worked extensively with the Shadows and, in particular, Brian.

Hank guested on stage with sky in, I think, 1990, on their Australian tour. By now Hank had moved to Perth and was asked to get up and play Toccata with them as an encore. Apparently the crowd went wild. By the way, on that tour Steve was augmented on keyboards by none other than Rick Wakeman!

Sky released a live album in 1983, called sky five live, which was recorded in Australia in 1982. The album was a mixture of new material and their established classics, such as Hotta and Sahara. However, prior to this, they demo-ed the new tracks for the album in Abbey Road and the results really were (or are) worthy of being released on CD.

Francis is quite approachable and can be contacted via his website http://www.afkm.com

Oh yes, and they were managed by Peter Lyster-Todd, who is currently, I believe, involved with the Cliff and the Shadows reunion tours.

And finally, if anyone has a video recording of sky live at the Hammersmith Odeon, broadcast in the summer of 1980 on BBC2, then I will pay you virtually any amount of money for it. I have been trying to get hold of this for 30 years with no luck! There was a copy in the library in Perth, but living in the UK, I was never able to take advantage of this fact!!!!

I might also add that another member of this forum has asked me to write a piece on sky for his website, which I am very happy to do and flattered to be asked. Sorry it's not arrived yet, but I don't get much time on the computer these days!

All in all, sky were brilliant (individually and as a band) and I rate them almost as highly as I do the Shads...

:thumbup:
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby captainhaddock » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:46 pm

Once upon a time, I made a VHS recording of Sky at Westminster Abbey. I played it many times and as in those days blank VHS tapes were around £12-£15 each, I taped over it . Not one of my better moves was it ?
captainhaddock

Postby drakula63 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:49 pm

I also taped the Westminster Abbey gig, on Betamax, and still have it!!!

By the way; regarding Scipio. They never played it live during Monkman's tenure, as he didn't like the piece and refused to play it live. It got inserted into the set when Steve Gray joined the band and can be seen and heard on the aforementioned Westminster Abbey gig...
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby ecca » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:07 pm

It was all a bit smart arsed for me.
No balls.
ecca

Postby hbmartin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:35 pm

Oh yes, and they were managed by Peter Lyster-Todd, who is currently, I believe, involved with the Cliff and the Shadows reunion tours....

Yes That's the bloke I'm thinking of. He and Brian Goode used to be together in the same office and SKY and the Shadows were two of the groups they managed. I visited their office once in London and they had all these gold and silva records on the walls by the front door.
hbmartin

Postby MikeAB » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Does anyone know if Sky 5 Live is/has been available on CD - I've got the LP and have always wanted the longer live Meheeco version on CD - a download would do as well but iTunes don't seem to have it.
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby captainhaddock » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:16 pm

MikeAB wrote:Does anyone know if Sky 5 Live is/has been available on CD - I've got the LP and have always wanted the longer live Meheeco version on CD - a download would do as well but iTunes don't seem to have it.

I bought "Sky Five/Live" on a Music Club cd no MCCD 251, back in the late 90's. I paid £6.99 for it, tonight there was a copy on Amazon at the bargain price of £50. Amazon are also offering two new copies of "Sky 4 Forthcoming" at around £103.51.
There are some very optimistic people trying to sell on Amazon aren't there?
captainhaddock

Postby damart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:32 pm

Before leaving for the USA in 1981 I had gotten the first 3 Sky albums which were great. Have been able to get all their CDS here in the colonies ever since. Have a DVD of them live in Bremen , Germany 1980 when Francis Monkman was still with the band. Also they were on A&E network around the mid 80's.I think it was a Christmas concert for kids but that was well over 20 years ago and don't remember too much about it except Herbie Flowers playing his tuba.Also I believe I read somewhere John Williams came in and listened to The Shadows version of Cavatina at Abbey Road.
damart

Postby Bob Dore » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:27 am

> sky live at the Hammersmith Odeon

Sorry, no recording - but I was there.

Bob.
Bob Dore

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows