RUN BILLY RUN - TV appearance!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: RUN BILLY RUN - TV appearance!

Postby RayL » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:02 am

The camera seen in shot is an EMI 2001. Since sales of this camera were almost exclusively to UK TV companies (both commercial and BBC) that confirms the clip as coming from a UK studio.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Pgoodw2 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:59 pm

drakula63 wrote:
George Geddes wrote:Gosh! What else can you say?

I've seen the 'reunion' with Cliff from Jim'll fix it when they sang RBR, but that one is such good quality. Any idea of the show it comes from?

George

I'd like to see the Jim'll Fix It appearance. I'm working on it... but my hopes are not high.

I'll assume that the one here must be from a European TV show, as I don't recognise the surroundings or the logo/design on the side of the studio cameras.

I’ve never seen the Cliff and The Shadows ‘Run Billy Run’. Does anyone have the audio of this that they are prepared to share?
Pgoodw2

Full Real Name: Philip Goodwin

Postby Fenderman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:53 pm

Shame it never charted as i quite liked the track and after recent Eurovision and a new LP out it looked like to be a hit - sadly not.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby JimN » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:57 am

Pgoodw2 wrote:I’ve never seen the Cliff and The Shadows ‘Run Billy Run’. Does anyone have the audio of this that they are prepared to share?

The track is available on the compact discs:

"Listen To The Shadows" CD EMI/CfP (UK) CC 240 (stereo) / CD EMI/Sovereign (UK) 8 59106 2 (stereo)
and
"Specs Appeal Plus" CD EMI (UK) 7 80042 2 (stereo)

They ought to be easy to find (and a secondhand CD plays as well as a new one, after all).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby drakula63 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:52 pm

JimN wrote:
Pgoodw2 wrote:I’ve never seen the Cliff and The Shadows ‘Run Billy Run’. Does anyone have the audio of this that they are prepared to share?

"Listen To The Shadows" CD EMI/CfP (UK) CC 240 (stereo) / CD EMI/Sovereign (UK) 8 59106 2 (stereo)
and

They ought to be easy to find (and a secondhand CD plays as well as a new one, after all).

I'll assume that when they appeared on Jim'll Fix It, the instruments were mimed but the vocals were 'live'. I have a suspicion that the guy who used to run the Jet Harris fan club (sorry, forgotten his name) may have a recording of it on cassette. I used to have some extensive lists of recordings from him, I'll look for them later but I suspect they have gone AWOL, and I think it was among them. I have both the CDs you mention, plus the complete A's and B's which also contain it.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Pgoodw2 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:14 pm

JimN wrote:

and

I am after the version with Cliff, not the single version. I have both of those CD’s but they contain the studio version
Pgoodw2

Full Real Name: Philip Goodwin

Postby Teflon » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:06 pm

I've always quite liked Run Billy Run, but it always puts me in mind of something Paul McCartney might have recorded. No bad thing I suppose :) .

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby DustyShoes » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:31 am

GoldenStreet wrote:John Farrar's palm pedals can be seen clearly towards the end of the clip, produced by Bigsby in the 1970s, and still in production by all accounts. Not too sure they really caught on, though.

Bill

Along withe a string bender, activated by pulling down on the guitars neck, the palm pedal
was a fairly common accessory fitted to Telecasters by Country Music players in the rapid
fire "chicken scratch" style.
Somewhat Shadows related, there is a clip shared on one of the Shadows FB groups
a guy playing: 36-24-36 on a Telecaster copy in the style of American country music.
DustyShoes

Full Real Name: Simon Disawari

Postby DustyShoes » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:44 am

If memory serves, I think that I first heard Run Billy Run on a local radio station around the time of the
songs release. This was at a time when a new release from The Shadows was still a big deal.
I like the song and have it still on a USB stick I use in the car.
I wonder who played bass - Alan Tarney, perhaps?
DustyShoes

Full Real Name: Simon Disawari

Postby iefje » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:05 am

DustyShoes wrote:I wonder who played bass - Alan Tarney, perhaps?

According to my sources, it's Dave Richmond on bass guitar.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows