RUN BILLY RUN - TV appearance!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: RUN BILLY RUN - TV appearance!

Postby DustyShoes » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:19 am

Cheers Ivo - thank you for your answer to my question.
DustyShoes

Full Real Name: Simon Disawari

Postby drakula63 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:59 pm

Pgoodw2 wrote:
JimN wrote:
Pgoodw2 wrote:I’ve never seen the Cliff and The Shadows ‘Run Billy Run’. Does anyone have the audio of this that they are prepared to share?

The track is available on the compact discs:

"Listen To The Shadows" CD EMI/CfP (UK) CC 240 (stereo) / CD EMI/Sovereign (UK) 8 59106 2 (stereo)
and
"Specs Appeal Plus" CD EMI (UK) 7 80042 2 (stereo)

They ought to be easy to find (and a secondhand CD plays as well as a new one, after all).

I am after the version with Cliff, not the single version. I have both of those CD’s but they contain the studio version

You might want to read my earlier post.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:27 pm

Pgoodw2 wrote:
JimN wrote:
Pgoodw2 wrote:I’ve never seen the Cliff and The Shadows ‘Run Billy Run’. Does anyone have the audio of this that they are prepared to share?

The track is available on the compact discs:

"Listen To The Shadows" CD EMI/CfP (UK) CC 240 (stereo) / CD EMI/Sovereign (UK) 8 59106 2 (stereo)
and
"Specs Appeal Plus" CD EMI (UK) 7 80042 2 (stereo)

They ought to be easy to find (and a secondhand CD plays as well as a new one, after all).

I am after the version with Cliff, not the single version. I have both of those CD’s but they contain the studio version

The version with Cliff has never been released on any audio format whatsoever, but was only used for the TV broadcast.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:13 pm

Assuming that they were miming to a backing track, then this backing track must have been either a) the instrumental track(s) from the EMI single version or b) Newly recorded instrumental/vocal tracks. It may be that they were performing entirely 'live', but my suspicion is that only the vocals would have been live. Anyone at the time with a tape recorder could have recorded this appearance off air and, as unlikely as it is, someone may even have videoed it. There WILL be a recording of it out there somewhere, it's just a matter of finding it.

(I know where there's one and I know someone who could get it for me. Sadly, we sort of fell out about four years ago and although we are now on speaking terms, I can't see this person doing me any big favours any time soon.)
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby DustyShoes » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:15 am

iefje wrote:
DustyShoes wrote:I wonder who played bass - Alan Tarney, perhaps?

According to my sources, it's Dave Richmond on bass guitar.

Thank you for the info.
Wasn't Dave Richmond bass player with Manfred Mann?
DustyShoes

Full Real Name: Simon Disawari

Postby RayL » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:36 pm

[/quote] Wasn't Dave Richmond bass player with Manfred Mann?[/quote]

He certainly was - and I have memories of seeing Manfred Mann week after week in Southsea in the autumn of 1963 (that was before they had the big hits). The five of them crowded on to a small stage in Kimball's Ballroom. I can't be sure if he had the black Burns Bison bass that became his trademark in later years.
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby JimN » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:03 pm

RayL wrote:
Wasn't Dave Richmond bass player with Manfred Mann?[/quote]

He certainly was - and I have memories of seeing Manfred Mann week after week in Southsea in the autumn of 1963 (that was before they had the big hits). The five of them crowded on to a small stage in Kimball's Ballroom. I can't be sure if he had the black Burns Bison bass that became his trademark in later years.
Ray[/quote]

I have tried to find - and have now abandoned the search for - any pictures of the transient Manfred Mann line-up(s) from 1966 which featured Dave Richmond. I know he played double-bass on their EP "Instrumental Assassination", but his credit on the sleeve seemed to distance him a little from the other members:

https://img.discogs.com/Q43zyWW0fz5MN-N7vLVZ7QE1ogE=/fit-in/600x598/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-2072947-1481820459-2391.jpeg.jpg

Manfred Mann seemed to change bassist very rapidly during the period 1966-1968. Variously, the bass role was held by Tom McGuinness (who swapped to guitar after Mike Vickers departed), Dave Richmond, Jack Bruce (this during the period where the band had a brass section) and Klaus Voorman. Perhaps others too. I wasn't watching them all that carefully.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Previous

Return to The Shadows