NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows Lost BBC Sessions

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows Lost BBC Sessions

Postby Rich Cowling » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:18 pm

Two sleeves of gold dust....I just sat entranced...great atmosphere.....brilliant journey.... particularly liked Jigsaw live.
Rich Cowling

Full Real Name: Richard Cowling

Postby Fenderman » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:52 am

Listening to the second volume of the BBC sessions, i wonder if the version of Tomorrow's cancelled was allowed overdubs?
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby iefje » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:33 pm

Fenderman wrote:Listening to the second volume of the BBC sessions, i wonder if the version of Tomorrow's cancelled was allowed overdubs?

You're right about that. The track includes overdubbed xylophone and kettledrums by Brian.

Other tracks from the BBC sessions with overdubs are these:
- "I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Arthur": a multi-tracked electric rhythm guitar part by Bruce.
- "Lady Penelope": a multi-tracked electric lead guitar part by Hank.
- "Scotch On The Socks": tambourine by Brian.
- "Jigsaw": a multi-tracked electric lead guitar part by Hank.
- "Tennessee Waltz": a multi-tracked electric lead guitar part by Hank.
- "Bombay Duck": a multi-tracked electric lead guitar part by Hank and tambourine by Brian.
- "Lara's Theme": tambourine by Brian.
- "Snap, Crackle And How's Your Dad": a multi-tracked electric lead guitar part by Hank and a multi-tracked electric rhythm guitar part by Bruce. There's also a piano on this version, but it is unknown whether this has been played live by a fifth musician or an overdub by either of the four members of the group.
- "The Wild Roses (Nobara Saku Michi)": a multi-tracked electric lead guitar part by Hank.
- "Evening Glow": tambourine by Brian.
- "Wonderful Land" (1973 version): synthesizers by Brian.
- "Turn Around And Touch Me": piano by Brian.
- "Stardust": a multi-tracked electric lead guitar part by Hank and a multi-tracked acoustic rhythm guitar part by Bruce.
- "Waiting For Rosie": a multi-tracked electric lead guitar part by Hank.
- "The Tokaido Line": bongos by Brian.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:16 pm

iefje wrote:... the track includes overdubbed xylophone and kettledrums by Brian. Other tracks from the BBC sessions with overdubs are ...

Ivo, opinions are divided on this but are you aware of any bass double-tracking by John, either in the BBC sessions or in the official EMI releases?

Cheers - Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby iefje » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:39 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:
iefje wrote:... the track includes overdubbed xylophone and kettledrums by Brian. Other tracks from the BBC sessions with overdubs are ...

Ivo, opinions are divided on this but are you aware of any bass double-tracking by John, either in the BBC sessions or in the official EMI releases?

Cheers - Iain

It is possible of course, that Brian had his drum kit, kettledrums and xylophone set up in the BBC studio, in a way so he could play them live during the performance.
I have listened again to the original studio single version and the sequences from 1:06 to 1:09 and 2:01 and 2:04 have a different bass guitar sound, compared to the rest of the track, so this could indeed have been an overdub by John. I also listened to the BBC version again, but because it's mono and because the sound quality isn't crystal clear, it's difficult to hear if John overdubbed the same passages. My guess is he didn't. Or is there any documentation available which tells otherwise?
I do think that the other tracks I have mentioned include additional parts, which couldn't have been performed in one go. The Who and Led Zeppelin have done the same on some of their BBC radio recordings.
In case of the additional guitar parts, I would find it very unlikely if a third guitarist was present.
iefje

Postby Fenderman » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:03 pm

I remember reading that the Beatles BBC sessions a few years earlier the engineers were always clock watching and pushed for time so overdubs weren't always possible. Maybe The Shadows had more time available.
I read The Searchers asked to overdub some BBC tracks and they said no so they said forget it and were never asked back!
Fenderman

Postby StuartD » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:37 pm

Hi

I know a story about the BBC sessions with MWF, but I cant put it on here!! It was told to me by Hank

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby drakula63 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:18 pm

I know I'll be late to the party, but I've got these two CDs down on my Christmas list... Only 8 months to go... :D
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:26 am

drakula63 wrote:I know I'll be late to the party, but I've got these two CDs down on my Christmas list... Only 8 months to go... :D

If releases like these became available many months before December, I wouldn't have the patience to wait until Christmas to get them as presents! ;) I had to when I was a child though. I became a Shadows fan when I was about five or six years old and I remember I asked Santa Claus for the 1997 CD "The Shadows At Abbey Road". It seemed like ages before Christmas finally arrived that year!
iefje

Postby Fenderman » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:54 pm

StuartD wrote:Hi

I know a story about the BBC sessions with MWF, but I cant put it on here!! It was told to me by Hank

Regards

Stuart

You could always PM folk who asked :D
Fenderman

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows