Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows Lost BBC Sessions

Postby StuartD » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:18 am

True!!
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby Fenderman » Mon May 24, 2021 1:09 am

That's me received my copy of volume 1 of the BBC sessions, sound quality is mostly very good.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Fenderman » Mon May 24, 2021 3:36 pm

I find it insane that the BBC saw no value in keeping their recordings and as a result there is massive holes in their archives. Many important recordings are lost forever. Same goes for the TV vaults.
Fenderman

Postby Fenderman » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:03 pm

I'm a bit confused - i thought Cerveza was only performed on Radio Luxemburg but it's on the BBC Lost recordings volume 1 appearing on Saturday Club. I didn't realise two versions were recorded, i'm only now managing to play the Lost Recordings in full as i've been busy the last few weeks decorating and had no time.
Fenderman

Postby Arpeggio » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:54 pm

Yes...they did "Cerveza" on Saturday Club....October 1st, 1960.
Arpeggio

Re: NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows Lost BBC Sessi

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:10 am

Fenderman wrote:I find it insane that the BBC saw no value in keeping their recordings and as a result there is massive holes in their archives. Many important recordings are lost forever. Same goes for the TV vaults.

I should declare an interest. As well as being a Shadows fan I also worked 43 years for the BBC. Here’s my thought on this issue.
Analog tape is expensive but it can be used over again. If the BBC had stored all its audio and video tapes in case of possible archival interest, it could not have re-used them, so every recording would have included the cost of brand new tapes. Then somewhere would have had to be found to store them. Year upon year of all sorts of recordings being kept just in case? You’re talking large buildings here with air conditioning and damp proofing. Massive costs. Who would pay?
The problem lay in identifying what was an “important” recording and likely to be of interest way into the future. Yes, a programme or programme item would be kept for a while in case the schedulers decided to repeat it but, once they had concluded it had served its time, they would do the economical thing and use the tape for something new.
Digitisation has changed everything. Now a programme can be stored as an audio or video file and can live invisibly on a file server. But they didn’t have that technology back then. And, of course, live programmes didn’t need to be recorded in the first place.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby GoldenStreet » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:50 am

Thanks, Iain - spot on!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Fenderman » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:13 pm

Yeah that's a fair point. I'd forgot to take into account the economical aspects and yes, space would be an issue.
Fenderman

Postby GoldenStreet » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:40 am

Arpeggio wrote:Yes...they did "Cerveza" on Saturday Club....October 1st, 1960.

By coincidence, Elaine Delmar, referred to in a recent thread in association with Brian Bennett, also featured in that edition of Saturday Club.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Previous

Return to The Shadows