NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows Lost BBC Sessions

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows Lost BBC Sessions

Postby DustyShoes » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:57 am

Yet, there is some charm about these recordings that I like.
Sure, these are not pristine from original recordings, but I'm not bothered about that at
all, neary a jot in fact.
It looks like this to me: after all these years since these tunes were first broadcast, we have a very welcome
opportunity to hear and enjoy some early broadcast material and in such a way that we have been given
a chance to take a magic carpet ride back to a time when all these tunes were part of a BBC broadcast.
Now that very though is in a way, a nostalgia packed experience.
I wasn't there first time around, but now that doesn't matter, not one bit at all.

Simon.
DustyShoes

Full Real Name: Simon Disawari

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:33 pm

Derek Mowbray wrote:To be quite honest I don`t want to buy recordings done off the radio on home tapes I did that with Billy Fury and The Tornados Luxembourg sessions poor quality recordings I would much prefer proper studio recordings.

What makes you think these Shadows tracks are poor quality? They sound good to me!
As Ulrich says, many are from BBC Transcriptions, and therefore studio quality. As to off-air recording, there is a world of quality difference between medium wave (Luxembourg) and FM (BBC Light Programme).
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Andy Stace » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:05 am

Well i'm certainly glad I purchased these CDs! Considering the age and recording methods I think Dusty have done a great job in getting the best out of them. The poorest qaulity recordings are Dooby Dooby Wah and 3.30 Blues, but this is aknowledged in the notes and as they are the only surviving recordings i'm glad they were included. If last year I had to choose between another Polydor compilation / a repeat of final tour live and these 2 Cds it would have been a no brainer! I know that Rob Bradford has been trying for an awful long time to get this material out there, so well done and thanks to him for getting there at last!
Andy Stace

Full Real Name: Andrew Stace

Postby iefje » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:32 pm

I have received my copies of both CDs over a week ago. Great stuff! As I always keep myself busy with details like for instance recording dates and various versions of tracks, I noticed the following:
- The version of “Three-30-Blues” is similar to the one on Dusty Tapes' “F.B.I.” CD, but is complete, whereas the other version has a fade-out. However, it is very likely that the version on the “F.B.I.” CD is from the BBC radio show, while the one on the “Lost BBC Sessions Vol.1 1959-1964” CD is from the Radio Luxembourg show. The latter has a lot of noise, which could be evidence for this fact.
- The version of “Cerveza” included here has very good sound quality, but it sounds as though it is the same recording as the one featured on Radio Luxembourg. Another possibility is that the version of which we have all believed to be from Radio Luxembourg (which most of us probably heard on the 1994 Italian CD "Dakota - The Classic Collection"), is in fact the BBC version, so the Radio Luxembourg version may have not survived as a recording. Or, The Shadows recorded just one radio version of "Cerveza", which was used on both BBC Radio and Radio Luxembourg. Does anyone know more about this?
- The 2012 UK Rollercoaster Records Cliff Richard & The Drifters / The Shadows double album “Let Me Tell You Baby...It's Called Rock 'N' Roll!” lists June 20th, 1959 as the recording and broadcast date for "Driftin'" (version #1) and "Jet Black" (version #1), while the "Lost BBC Sessions Vol.1 1959-1964" CD lists June 16th, 1959 as the recording date and June 20th, 1959 as the broadcast date. Which one is correct?
- The tracks "Quatermasster's Stores" and "Apache" (version #1) are the same as on the Rollercoaster double album. However, the liner-notes on the Rollercoaster double album list a recording date of August 2nd, 1960 and a broadcast date of August 6th, 1960 for these two tracks, while the "Lost BBC Sessions Vol.1 1959-1964" CD lists a recording date and broadcast date of July 9th, 1960. Is it possible that the recordings of the two tracks in question were used for both the July 9th and August 6th, 1960 broadcasts?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Fenderman » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:12 pm

I ordered the 1965-68 volume from Leo's Den as sadly the first volume is out of stock. Just had an email saying it's been shipped.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Fenderman » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:34 pm

I've just noticed, on the back of the BBC CD 1965-68 Bruce has a brown burns. I've never noticed this before, is this perhaps a black and white photo digitally colourised or did they use brown burns at some point? I've never seen a burns in brown. Hank is using his green but John also looks to have a brown model, i am partially colour blind but i know this colour. Can someone clarify this?
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:08 am

Fenderman wrote:I've just noticed, on the back of the BBC CD 1965-68 Bruce has a brown burns. I've never noticed this before, is this perhaps a black and white photo digitally colourised or did they use brown burns at some point? I've never seen a burns in brown. Hank is using his green but John also looks to have a brown model, i am partially colour blind but i know this colour. Can someone clarify this?

See the beginning of this thread where the colour is discussed.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:25 am

iefje wrote:... or, The Shadows recorded just one radio version of "Cerveza", which was used on both BBC Radio and Radio Luxembourg. Does anyone know more about this?

I don’t think that’s an option, Ivo. Luxembourg and BBC radio were separate, competing services. They would have not have shared studios, nor recordings. Each station would have produced its own broadcast version.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby iefje » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:27 am

Iain Purdon wrote:
iefje wrote:... or, The Shadows recorded just one radio version of "Cerveza", which was used on both BBC Radio and Radio Luxembourg. Does anyone know more about this?

I don’t think that’s an option, Ivo. Luxembourg and BBC radio were separate, competing services. They would have not have shared studios, nor recordings. Each station would have produced its own broadcast version.

OK thank you Iain. The fact still remains that the recordings on the 1994 "Dakota - The Classic Collection" CD, the 2020 "F.B.I." CD and the 2020 "Lost BBC Sessions Vol.1 1959-1964" CD are the same. The first two feature an introduction by Cliff Richard and come from the same source and sound quite shaky (because of the sound quality of the source), while the third excludes the introduction by Cliff Richard and sounds first-rate. My theory is that all three recordings must therefor come from either Radio Luxembourg or BBC Radio. My guess would be BBC Radio, because the sound quality on the third recording is so good.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby UlrichS » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:33 pm

iefje wrote:
Iain Purdon wrote:

OK thank you Iain. The fact still remains that the recordings on the 1994 "Dakota - The Classic Collection" CD, the 2020 "F.B.I." CD and the 2020 "Lost BBC Sessions Vol.1 1959-1964" CD are the same. The first two feature an introduction by Cliff Richard and come from the same source and sound quite shaky (because of the sound quality of the source), while the third excludes the introduction by Cliff Richard and sounds first-rate. My theory is that all three recordings must therefor come from either Radio Luxembourg or BBC Radio. My guess would be BBC Radio, because the sound quality on the third recording is so good.

I agree with you, Ivo, that all these three recordings are identical. They vary a little bit in the speed but this comes most likely from not exact speeds of tape recorders especially when copies were made. When one adjusts the different speeds it is obvious that these versions are identical.

I also agree with you, Iain, that the BBC and Radio Luxembourg would never ever swap recordings. The BBC and RL were strongly competing and regarded themselves as a kind of enemies.

The BBC version of Cerveza was broadcasted on Saturday Club #105 on 1. October 1960. The guests list included Cliff Richard and The Shadows. So it might have been possible that Cliff made the announcement for Cerveza, but this was usually done by the host of the program.
On the other hand the intro by Cliff which can be heard on the Dakota and the F.B.I. CDs is very typical for those Me & My Shadows programs on Radio Luxembourg. Compare it with the announcement of Barney's Blues.
Remains the quality of the recording on Lost BBC Sessions Vol.1 CD. Other Shadows and Cliff recordings of very good quality have been published which originate definitely from RL's Me & My Shadows programs. So there must have been places and circumstances with little to no interference and fading. Another explanation could be that these RL recordings were transferred from tape to acetates at RL. I remember a report in the mag of the German Cliff & Shads club that a radio DJ of RL attended a club meeting and forgot acetates with Cliff recordings.

My bet regarding the origin of this version of Cerveza is Radio Luxembourg. (Helmet on!)

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows