NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows Lost BBC Sessions

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows Lost BBC Sessions

Postby iefje » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:21 am

I've just seen two very very welcome soon to be released CD's by Dusty Tapes on Leo's Den: The Shadows "Lost BBC Sessions Vol.1 - 1959-1964" and The Shadows "Lost BBC Sessions Vol.2 - 1965-1968". The second CD covers 16 out of the 21 tracks on Parlophone's album "Live At The BBC", but here a lot of the interview segments (mostly with Brian Matthew) have been included. I have already ordered my copies. Check it out!

https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.ph ... er=product
https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.ph ... er=product
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows Lost BBC Sessions

Postby Moderne » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:25 am

How exciting! Thanks for the 'heads-up', Ivo!!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby drakula63 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:13 am

Great news. I think I'll buy vol.2 just for the photo on the back, which shows the Shads using their Burns guitars in a colour scheme that I have never seen before... especially not re. John and Bruce. Seriously... I shall be buying both! Mainly for the music!!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby JimN » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:18 am

drakula63 wrote:Great news. I think I'll buy vol.2 just for the photo on the back, which shows the Shads using their Burns guitars in a colour scheme that I have never seen before... especially not re. John and Bruce. Seriously... I shall be buying both! Mainly for the music!!

I've seen the photograph to which you refer. I'm sure it's been re-touched from monochrome.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby iefje » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:25 am

JimN wrote:
drakula63 wrote:Great news. I think I'll buy vol.2 just for the photo on the back, which shows the Shads using their Burns guitars in a colour scheme that I have never seen before... especially not re. John and Bruce. Seriously... I shall be buying both! Mainly for the music!!

I've seen the photograph to which you refer. I'm sure it's been re-touched from monochrome.

Yes, Bruce's guitar and John's bass are in redburst color now! :o
iefje

Postby iefje » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:27 am

I have a feeling that Dusty tapes will maybe release a third CD The Shadows and Marvin, Welch & Farrar "Lost BBC Sessions Vol.3 - 1971-1974". Always possible now Dusty is going to release archive recordings from after 1962! ;)
iefje

Postby drakula63 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:11 pm

iefje wrote:
JimN wrote:

Yes, Bruce's guitar and John's bass are in redburst color now! :o

How odd. I didn't think I'd seen those guitars in that colour before. Oh well. Maybe they'll alter it prior to release. Quite a striking image though, even if it is totally inaccurate!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:27 am

I wonder whether "Cerveza" will be the actual BBC version. A lot of us will know the version from Radio Luxembourg's "Me And My Shadows". I also have never heard the third BBC version of "Apache", the second versions of "Man Of Mystery" and "The Stranger", "The Frightened City", "In The Mood", "Tomorrow's Cancelled", "Alentejo" and the 1968 version of "Foot Tapper".
iefje

Postby Fenderman » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:00 pm

The photo on the second volume is one of my favourite Shadows photos but only ever seen it in b&w.
I'll be ordering these as soon as i get paid at the end of the month! Good to see someone is marking the 60th anniversary of Apache/The Shadows.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Unsospero » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:47 pm

I guess credit needs to go to Rob Bradford who's collaborated on the venture.

I was a little surprised there wasn't more digging when Rob hinted at new releases in his post towards the end of the 'Shadows at the BBC (2)' topic.

Thanks Rob it must have taken some putting together, looking forward to hearing them.

Graham
Unsospero

Full Real Name: Graham Wyld

Next

Return to The Shadows