NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows Lost BBC Sessions

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows Lost BBC Sessions

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:17 pm

Bound to be some overlap - but a LOT of rare material across the 2 CDs. Yes, the 16 tracks from the W Music CD are here, but they are not the BBC Master Tapes (obviously) they are dubbed from 'Off - Air' recordings / old BBC Transcription Discs (in surprisingly good quality). There are 23 tracks* for which no Master Tapes exist. (* I meant to say 20). 10 of those were on extremely difficult to find (& long - deleted) 'Collectors' CDs'. 10 tracks (thought to be lost forever) have never been heard since they were broadcast back in the 1960s.

I doubt that the M, W & F material will be released as those tracks are still in copyright. Fans could ask Warner Music to issue the M, W & F material but, quite frankly, I do not think that they would consider it worth their while to do so.
Last edited by Arpeggio on Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arpeggio

Postby iefje » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:11 am

Arpeggio wrote:Bound to be some overlap - but a LOT of rare material across the 2 CDs. Yes, the 16 tracks from the W Music CD are here, but they are not the BBC Master Tapes (obviously) they are dubbed from 'Off - Air' recordings / old BBC Transcription Discs (in surprisingly good quality). There are 23 tracks for which no Master Tapes exist. 13 of those were on extremely difficult to find (& long - deleted) 'Collectors' CDs'. 10 tracks (thought to be lost forever) have never been heard since they were broadcast back in the 1960s.

I doubt that the M, W & F material will be released as those tracks are still in copyright. Fans could ask Warner Music to issue the M, W & F material but, quite frankly, I do not think that they would consider it worth their while to do so.

Rob, thank you very much for all the effort you put in the BBC sessions project, which started in about March, 1999 or maybe even earlier than that I think! Great to finally see the majority of The Shadows' BBC radio sessions officially released. You said that for 23 tracks no master tapes exist (anymore), which tracks are those?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Arpeggio » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:34 pm

Oh Lordy. If memory serves.....CD#1 Jet Black (24/10/59) / Dooby Dooby Wah / 3.30 Blues / Apache (E Beat) / F City (E Beat) / The Boys / Dance On (S Show) / Nivram (S Show) / Foot Tapper (S Show) / I T Mood

CD#2 - Somewhere / Nivram#1 / Nivram#2 / Deep Purple / Stardust / W F Rosie / Tomorrow's Cancelled / Tokaido Line / Alentejo / Foot Tapper.

Erm...well...OK...Actually that's 20 tracks isn't it? Probably that's what I originally meant to say!!!! 10 tracks on each CD with no surviving Master Tape versions. Still worth having I reckon. The sound quality on the vast majority of those is great. :D
Arpeggio

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:40 pm

Ordered!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby fenderplucker » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:05 am

Me too!
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby Pinner Fan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:51 am

What happened to the proposed Rollercoaster release of all this material ?
I believe Rollercoaster own the producer's original tapes of all of this material so all would be with audio quality as good as possible ?

Or is this release taken from these tapes ?

They did such a great job on their Cliff CD from the same era
Pinner Fan

Full Real Name: Frank Merrison

Postby Arpeggio » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:30 pm

Frank: I do not doubt that Rollercoaster will issue all of the Drifters / Shadows tracks in their possession. That will be a fantastic collection. These tracks (All from Master Tapes) cover the period 1959 - 62 ( With just one exception, an unexpected find from 1964). Some of the titles are on the Shadows - Lost BBC Sessions #1 (But the tracks used here are not the Rollercoaster masters!!). There are also other tracks (Eg "Shotgun", "All My Sorrows", "Bongo Blues" etc that do not appear on the aforementioned CD). However, the 10 tracks I listed above (previous post) will not be on the Rollercoaster CD - because there are NO master tape equivalents. Hope that all makes sense, Best Wishes, Rob :D
Arpeggio

Postby Pinner Fan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:27 pm

The appearance of this new release will surely totally undermine the case for Rollercoaster to issue their version as it will take away many sales and make a Rollercoaster issue possibly unviable.
Pinner Fan

Full Real Name: Frank Merrison

Postby iefje » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:15 pm

Arpeggio wrote:Oh Lordy. If memory serves.....CD#1 Jet Black (24/10/59) / Dooby Dooby Wah / 3.30 Blues / Apache (E Beat) / F City (E Beat) / The Boys / Dance On (S Show) / Nivram (S Show) / Foot Tapper (S Show) / I T Mood

CD#2 - Somewhere / Nivram#1 / Nivram#2 / Deep Purple / Stardust / W F Rosie / Tomorrow's Cancelled / Tokaido Line / Alentejo / Foot Tapper.

Erm...well...OK...Actually that's 20 tracks isn't it? Probably that's what I originally meant to say!!!! 10 tracks on each CD with no surviving Master Tape versions. Still worth having I reckon. The sound quality on the vast majority of those is great. :D

Thank you Rob. I look forward to hearing them. :thumbup:
iefje

Postby iefje » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:24 pm

Pinner Fan wrote:The appearance of this new release will surely totally undermine the case for Rollercoaster to issue their version as it will take away many sales and make a Rollercoaster issue possibly unviable.

Well, I don't know. As Rob says, there are a clutch of tracks in the possession of Rollercoaster Records on master tape, which will not appear on the forthcoming "Lost BBC Sessions" CD's. Likewise, the five BBC tracks from 1973, which appear on the Parlophone album "Live At The BBC" will not appear on the "Lost BBC Sessions" CD's, so all CD's will have their value to fans.
Perhaps The Shadows' tracks owned by Rollercoaster Records could be combined with unreleased Cliff RIchard & The Shadows tracks from 1961 and 1962.
iefje

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows