NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows Lost BBC Sessions

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows Lost BBC Sessions

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:09 pm

Pinner Fan wrote:The appearance of this new release will surely totally undermine the case for Rollercoaster to issue their version as it will take away many sales and make a Rollercoaster issue possibly unviable.

Rollercoaster have not exactly behaves like a roller coaster in this matter. By the time they get round to it, I imagine they'll sell their stuff - as long as we're not all dead.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Arpeggio » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:12 pm

PinnerFan wrote:The appearance of this new release will surely totally undermine the case for Rollercoaster to issue their version as it will take away many sales and make a Rollercoaster issue possibly unviable.

Cannot agree with this statement at all. Rollercoaster have 34 tracks (29 with Hank, Bruce, Jet & Tony). Superb sound. 5 of the tracks - they put out on the Cliff set....but that was 8 years ago now. So, everything in brilliant sound and many tracks still previously unreleased (since their original broadcast). I look at it from a fan's point of view. I bought the Warner CD. Would I buy the 2 'Dusty' CDs? Yes. Would I buy a Rollercoaster Set - as described? Yes!! Wouldn't just about every fan buy them all?? IMHO - YES!!!! They all offer something unique.

Will Rollercoaster issue their tracks - Yes!!!
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Postby iefje » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:30 pm

Arpeggio wrote:Pinner Fan wrote:
The appearance of this new release will surely totally undermine the case for Rollercoaster to issue their version as it will take away many sales and make a Rollercoaster issue possibly unviable.

Cannot agree with this statement at all. Rollercoaster have 34 tracks (29 with Hank, Bruce, Jet & Tony). Superb sound. 5 of the tracks - they put out on the Cliff set....but that was 8 years ago now. So, everything in brilliant sound and many tracks still previously unreleased (since their original broadcast). I look at it from a fan's point of view. I bought the Warner CD. Would I buy the 2 'Dusty' CDs? Yes. Would I buy a Rollercoaster Set - as described? Yes!! Wouldn't just about every fan buy them all?? IMHO - YES!!!! They all offer something unique.

Will Rollercoaster issue their tracks - Yes!!!

I couldn't agree more.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Fenderman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:47 pm

All we need now is an visual companion of rare tv appearances but looks unlikely.
We can but hope!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Fenderman » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:54 pm

Just out of interest has anyone bought the 2 new CD's? Due to personal issues it went out my head and i totally forgot but may buy them very soon.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby DustyShoes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:47 pm

Yes, I did, bought mine from LeosDen.
Listening to Volume 1 so many times, that after a good few weeks, I've yet to give Volume 2
a spin, a pleasure delayed as they say. Volume 1 features tunes from the earlier Drifters/Shadows era
right up until '64 and there is right at the top of my personal hit parade and from what some followers
refer to as, the classic era.
Both the music and the line-up of players and from not long after the beginning of British R n Roll.
Hugely important and for a while, hugely influential and still hugely enjoyable to listen to.

Cheers
Simon.
DustyShoes

Full Real Name: Simon Disawari

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:26 am

Fenderman wrote:Just out of interest has anyone bought the 2 new CD's? Due to personal issues it went out my head and i totally forgot but may buy them very soon.

Gosh, thanks for the reminder. I did buy them but didn't get round to listening. They're on now!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Derek Mowbray » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:47 pm

To be quite honest I don`t want to buy recordings done off the radio on home tapes I did that with Billy Fury and The Tornados Luxembourg sessions poor quality recordings I would much prefer proper studio recordings.
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

Postby anniv 63 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:35 pm

Yes I too was extremely disappointed with the Luxembourg Billy Fury/ Tornados CD that came out.
I think Roger Lavern the organist may have been the person who had access to these off air/ home tapes
as he mentioned this to me when I met him at I think the Pipeline Convention one year.
It is possible that recordings of Billy Fury/ Tornados made at Joe Meek studio could now see the light of day
as part of the Tea Chest Tapes and they indeed should be quality recordings!!!
Let us hope not too long as well!!! for a legal official issue

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby UlrichS » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:24 am

Derek Mowbray wrote:To be quite honest I don`t want to buy recordings done off the radio on home tapes I did that with Billy Fury and The Tornados Luxembourg sessions poor quality recordings I would much prefer proper studio recordings.

Nearly all of the tracks are taken from BBC Transcription Discs which were used by the BBC's overseas radio station for their programmes. Thus the quality cannot be compared with home tape recordings.
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows