Brian B mentioned on BBC4

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Brian B mentioned on BBC4

Postby GoldenStreet » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:57 pm

Presumably, Brian played drums on the actual KPM recording used for Grandstand?

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby MartcasterJunior » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:01 pm

My memory of that KPM gig was that Grandstand was an encore (it was played as an excerpt at the end of a sports themes medley earlier in the night). BB had played on the track prior to this and stood up to exit the stage and make way for Ralph Salmins (who I think had played the earlier sports medley), who either wasn't ready or couldn't get to the kit as it was a very tight squeeze on the stage with all those horn players) Keith Mansfield started the count-in so BB sat down sharpish and had to 'read the dots' for the piece, which obviously he had no problem doing but he had his eyes on the music pretty intently through the whole thing.

Matt
MartcasterJunior

Full Real Name: Mathew Verril

Postby JimN » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:43 pm

Moderne wrote:It's one of three episodes...was he mentioned last week? He might get mentioned next week. You'd think any programme about TV music would feature Alan Hawkshaw - on the strength of his Grange Hill theme alone (which, in rearranged form, was also used as the theme to Bernard Cribbins' Star Turn quiz show if memory serves...I'll get me coat!).

Chicken Man was also used - if I remember correctly - for Thames TV's version of Charades, "Give Us A Clue". It was the same recording as used for "Grange Hill".

I don't remember ever seeing the Bernard Cribbins programme.

[Edit: I now see that "Give Us A Clue" had already been mentioned above.]
Last edited by JimN on Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:48 pm

George Geddes wrote:The Hawk was certainly mentioned in ep.1, and there was footage of Keith Mansfield with the KPM Allstars.

Have to disagree with Chris. I have watched all of Neil Brand's series and found them entertaining and quite informative.

George

Indeed. His previous sets of music documentaries, especially the three-parter on film music, were gripping stuff. I'm a fan. If he sometimes concentrates on pop music which is beyond the pale for me (and he does), it's only because he's eight or nine years younger than I am.

Episode one of the current programme also featured the redoubtable Johnny Trunk, from whom I get the weekly email each Friday. It started when I bought the CD "Music For Biscuits" (all Mike Sammes advert material), back in 2006.
JimN

Postby Moderne » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:00 pm

drakula63 wrote:
Moderne wrote:It's one of three episodes...was he mentioned last week? He might get mentioned next week. You'd think any programme about TV music would feature Alan Hawkshaw - on the strength of his Grange Hill theme alone (which, in rearranged form, was also used as the theme to Bernard Cribbins' Star Turn quiz show if memory serves...I'll get me coat!).

It was actually 'Give Us a Clue'. And yes, when I interviewed Alan, we covered that!

Yes, it was used on the Give Us A Clue programme...but I'm still sure that it was also the theme tune to Star Turn. I can't find any evidence on the interweb - but I clearly remember the programme, which was like a kids' version of Give Us A Clue, funnily enough. Talking of which, I also remember Hank being a guest on GUAC...
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby drakula63 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:49 pm

JimN wrote:

Chicken Man was also used - if I remember correctly - for Thames TV's version of Charades, "Give Us A Clue". It was the same recording as used for "Grange Hill".

I don't remember ever seeing the Bernard Cribbins programme.

[Edit: I now see that "Give Us A Clue" had already been mentioned above.]

It was a different recording. And yes, I asked Alan about re-arranging it for a quiz show! This is the kind of stuff you won't get in Neil Brand's show! Or Brian Bennett talking about the music to 'Countdown' whilst standing beside the very pedal-tympani he used on it (and the Live at the Paris Olympia album!). We also got Alan at his keyboard playing the theme to Channel 4 news and Francis Monkman playing the theme to The Long Good Friday on a harpsichord. But I guess Neil Brand playing the theme to The Prisoner on a piano in Portmeirion village square is much more relevant and interesting! Like I say, it all seemed like one big self-serving ego trip which told you very little.
:D
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby GoldenStreet » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:34 pm

In the context of Countdown and Channel 4 in particular, it was surprising that no reference was made to AH's Best Endeavours, the signature of the main news show. Also, from a British perspective, I wasn't entirely convinced of the relevance of the concentration on early American TV advertising jingles, a subject of questionable interest to me, personally.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby JimN » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:38 am

GoldenStreet wrote:In the context of Countdown and Channel 4 in particular, it was surprising that no reference was made to AH's Best Endeavours, the signature of the main news show. Also, from a British perspective, I wasn't entirely convinced of the relevance of the concentration on early American TV advertising jingles, a subject of questionable interest to me, personally.
Bill

The topic there was the history of advertising jingles and how that industry came into being. That cannot be properly addressed without significant reference to the American experience (where it all started). "The Sound Of TV with Neil Brand" is surely not limited to UK TV.

When Neil Brand did a similar three-part series on the history of music in the cinema, it would have been extraordinary if he had not concentrated upon early American musicals (especially "The Jazz Singer") plus the classic (American) scores of people like Erik Korngold.
JimN

Postby drakula63 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:02 am

I got the feeling that some of the programmes were in there not because the theme tune was particularly good or memorable, but because the programme itself was HUGE. That surely should not be the reason for including it. Game of Thrones springs to mind... how many people can whistle that tune or will be whistling it in 30 years time. That's right... about two. No mention of library music that became a famous theme tune should be considered complete without dwelling for a respectable amount of time on Chicken Man, AKA the theme to Grange Hill. And what about Chase Side Shoot Up... still being used after about 45 years as the BBC golf theme! No, it wasn't a complete disaster, but I am still far from impressed with Mr Brand's programme. By the way, as a composer and expert on music, did he mention that the theme tune to The Simpsons was written using the Lydian dominant scale... No? Hmmmmm....
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby GoldenStreet » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:25 pm

drakula63 wrote:By the way, as a composer and expert on music, did he mention that the theme tune to The Simpsons was written using the Lydian dominant scale... No? Hmmmmm....

Possibly, Howard Goodall is more the man for that depth of theoretical analysis! :)

Bill
GoldenStreet

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows