Apache-Demo question

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Apache-Demo question

Postby GoldenStreet » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:40 pm

I haven't checked, but didn't Hank say he came up with the intro to Apache during The Shadows At Sixty documentary? What a legacy!

I have often thought there must have been more to the old story of Jerry Lordan, with his ukelele, on the tour coach humming the rudimentary tune to the assembled company within earshot! One would imagine that FD&H (Lordan's publisher - later taken over by EMI Music Publishing) must have been involved in the process at some point, in addition to the existence of the Bert Weedon recording.

It would be nice to think that demos/tapes, unsolicited or otherwise, were archived for posterity, but it is probably more likely they were lost or disposed of back in the mists of time, if not purchased by or coming into the possession of collectors of such items!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby shadowriter » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:50 am

Thanks everybody, you all certainly helped me scratch an itch.
What a brilliant, helpful, friendly site this is. I don't know about anyone else
but it's certainly helped me get through these depressing times. Thanks to
all and keep staying safe.

Norman
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Postby bor64 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:12 pm

On the CD Lost BBC Sessions vol1.
You can clearly hear 3 different versions of Apache clearly "growing" in Hanks hands towards the version we all love.
As with the unreleased Do You Wanna Dance recording in one of cd boxes years ago.
You can hear the solo is just coming to live more and more in Hanks playing.
So I find strange that nobody connect the dots about Apache and Hank brilliant musical mind, instead we are writing about a certain not well known guitarist that suppose to be the guideline for the shads please....

I know also some old rumours about Apache....Apache was recorded and played note for note , before Hank eyes because he couldn't play it....yeah right.
Apache was pre-recorded by studio pro's and they were standby in case the Shads couldn't....please get my coat. ;)

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Previous

Return to The Shadows