Shakin' All Over

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Shakin' All Over

Postby Twangaway » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:53 am

A little nostalgia - I must admit I always thought, Mick Green was the lead guitar player on the Johnny Kidd and The Pirates hit. In recent years he played with McCartney on that Internet telecast at the Cavern, and was a great guitarist but apparently joined the Pirates after the hit in a later revamped group. Just heard he died Jan 11 aged 65, probably reported here at some point.

I have just discovered that it was a guitarist called Joe Moretti, who played all that twangy lead. Would be keen to know what his career was and why he left, what groups did he feature in aftewards and what guitar he used on the big hit. Any photos would be great to see too. I always believed he used a solid, but there again Move It was not played on a solid, so am probably wrong

Twangaway
Twangaway

Re: Shakin' All Over

Postby cockroach » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:58 am

Joe was a Scotsman who turned up in London in the late '50's working with various bands and artists, then he became a session man from then at least until the '70's.

Evidently the lead on Shakin' All Over was played on his Grimshaw SS (London built thinline f-hole with two pickups- Joe Brown, Tony Sheridan, Bruce and others also used Grimshaws at that time, before Gibsons and Fenders etc were available in the UK) although later by the early '60's he had a big Guild Stratford three pickup archtop, then later he also used a Telecaster- he may have also played on some of Jet's solo stuff and/or with his stage band.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby BarryH » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:08 pm

http://grimshawguitars.co.uk/gallery/players/

Joe Moretti is shown towards the bottom of the page.

Good also to read about Pete Townshend's "fake" Rickenbacker truss rod cover on his Grimshaw.

Cheers
Barry
BarryH

Postby Stranded Albatross » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:58 pm

I can remember Johnny Kidd's guitar playing a Futurama, three pickup version, on the film promo of Shakin'All Over, and this influenced my decision to buy one. I can't substantiate whether it was used on the recording or the Grimshaw, which was popular in the UK at that time. I can also remember Alvin Lee playing a Grimshaw at a gig at the Wimbledon Palais. He had an amazing sound and we stood in front of the stage in awe as he blew away all Scotty Moore's early Presley solos.
Stranded Albatross

Postby StuartD » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:28 pm

Stranded Albatross wrote:I can remember Johnny Kidd's guitar playing a Futurama, three pickup version, on the film promo of Shakin'All Over, and this influenced my decision to buy one. I can't substantiate whether it was used on the recording or the Grimshaw, which was popular in the UK at that time. I can also remember Alvin Lee playing a Grimshaw at a gig at the Wimbledon Palais. He had an amazing sound and we stood in front of the stage in awe as he blew away all Scotty Moore's early Presley solos.

That will probably have been Alan Caddy. He was lead player at that time, Bass was, I think, Brian Gregg and Clem Cattini was on the drums. Good band - before Mick Green - and a very good one with him and Nicky Simper in it.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby Stranded Albatross » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Thanks for that info Stuart. Whilst I loved the band because of the excitement they generated, I never took note of their names. However when Mick Green joined, the band really took off for me. Mick's rhythm inspired leads were out of this world and have not been bettered since in my view.

Cheers
Ian
Stranded Albatross

Postby Moderne » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:43 am

Joe has his own foul-mouthed website which includes reference to his time in the Jet Harris and Tony Meehan band. Apparently it was Joe who played lead on Scarlett O'Hara and Applejack...

Clive
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby dave robinson » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:06 am

'Foul mouthed website'? Well tickle me tits 'til Friday, show us the way . . . . . . . :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Moderne » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:47 am

dave robinson wrote:'Foul mouthed website'? Well tickle me tits 'til Friday, show us the way . . . . . . . :lol:

Here is the page from Joe's website referring to Jet and Tony.

http://joemoretti.org/page22.htm

If you're easily offended, look away now!

Clive

(NB I remember this being discussed at least once before on the old MSN website and is common knowledge to Shads cognoscenti (spelling?!) apparently. The 2 'I's page is also worth a read if - like Joe - you aren't an Oasis fan!)
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby dave robinson » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks, I just had a read and enjoyed the story about John Mac. He certainly tells it like it is! :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Next

Return to The Shadows