A question for the Shads detectives

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: A question for the Shads detectives

Postby Fenderman » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:49 pm

Looks like their rehearsing something and i'd guess this picture was taken between 1966-68.
What's that at Hank's foot? An effects pedal or just a plug?
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby JimN » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:39 pm

Fenderman wrote:Looks like their rehearsing something and i'd guess this picture was taken between 1966-68.
What's that at Hank's foot? An effects pedal or just a plug?

It looks like a mains distribution board with four plugs connected.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RogerCook » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:18 am

Waiting for Rosie sounds a bit "Gretschy" so maybe running through that before recording.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:47 pm

I agree it is a staged photo but the cables and amps suggest it was taken during a session or rehearsal.

Why would it be Waiting For Rosie though? Brian is using brushes on that track and I can hear some distinctive Burnsiness in the lead. On the other hand Bruce is certainly playing electric rhythm on it and John could easily be using a Fender bass (although I wonder what the rules were about NOT using Burns guitars!)

The video of WFR does indeed include a similar shot but it also includes loads of photos that were certainly not taken when it was recorded, so it could be a red herring.

So back to the question. I have still not come up with a Shads number that sounds like it was done with that gear!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby StuartD » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:30 pm

Hi

It is no secret that John preferred the Fender Bass.

I don't know how often he used it in the studio but i would suspect quite a lot in the last 18 months before they split up. He told me that he used to use it straight into the desk in later years. The Burns was well knackered by then.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:15 pm

StuartD wrote:Hi
It is no secret that John preferred the Fender Bass.
I don't know how often he used it in the studio but i would suspect quite a lot in the last 18 months before they split up. He told me that he used to use it straight into the desk in later years. The Burns was well knackered by then.
Regards
Stuart

If that is indeed what happened, then the famous Burns bass "clack" (as Chris Jarvis used to call it) might also have been made on a Fender Jazz bass. Chris always thought John's recipe was to pick the Burns bass near the neck using the Neck and Middle Pickups. But a J-bass with both pickups engaged, although not the same, isn't far off.

From the "Jigsaw" LP, I'm thinking Tennessee Waltz, Stardust, Semi-Detached S Mr J, Friday on my Mind, With a Hmm-hmm, Green Eyes. Some could be Burns, others Fender. What do you think?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby bor64 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:51 pm

Bruce Marvin has still the Burns logo....maybe that's a indicator of timespan?

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby StuartD » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:18 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:If that is indeed what happened, then the famous Burns bass "clack" (as Chris Jarvis used to call it) might also have been made on a Fender Jazz bass. Chris always thought John's recipe was to pick the Burns bass near the neck using the Neck and Middle Pickups. But a J-bass with both pickups engaged, although not the same, isn't far off.

From the "Jigsaw" LP, I'm thinking Tennessee Waltz, Stardust, Semi-Detached S Mr J, Friday on my Mind, With a Hmm-hmm, Green Eyes. Some could be Burns, others Fender. What do you think?

Hi Ian

Very possible. The sound on Don't forget to catch me is very clicky. Going straight into the desk made a massive difference. On Love Truth and Emily Stone, I understand it was Herbie Flowers on bass and that has the clicky sound. Herbie used a Jazz Bass koi NI
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Previous

Return to The Shadows