Hank on Gary Kemp's Rockonteurs Podcast on Sunday

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank on Gary Kemp's Rockonteurs Podcast on Sunday

Postby russ » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:21 pm

Looking forward to this podcast sometime on Sunday ,maybe more Shadows or related guests later in the year?

Tried posting the link on Facebook from Hank's Official Page, but didn't work for me, sorry.
I am sure it will be on Spotify or Apple Music if not.

Enjoy!
Kindest Regards

Russ
russ

Full Real Name: Russell Smith

Re: Hank on Gary Kemp's Rockonteurs Podcast on Sunday

Postby MartcasterJunior » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:25 pm

They usually show up on YouTube soon after posting as well, so you don't need podcast-catching software to get it: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ockonteurs
MartcasterJunior

Full Real Name: Matthew Verrill

Postby Rich Cowling » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:09 pm

Rich Cowling

Full Real Name: Richard Cowling

Postby UlrichS » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:27 pm

UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby drakula63 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:15 pm

I have to say... that's one of the best interviews with Hank that I've ever heard. There was real humour and respect there. There were even some stories that I hadn't heard before. Nice to hear the one about Alan Tarney. Recommended.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby GoldenStreet » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:00 am

Hank sounds relaxed and totally at ease despite the constant interruptions by the two interviewers, frequently talking over each other.

I was surprised, though, when discussing distorted sound, he mentioned Shotgun as an example of this. I would agree this applies probably more to Man Of Mystery, as stated, complete with its unrestrained middle section!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Rich Cowling » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:52 pm

Thought the same Bill..... blast!! they've interrupted him...
Rich Cowling

Full Real Name: Richard Cowling

Postby MeBHank » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:03 am

Rich Cowling wrote:Thought the same Bill..... blast!! they've interrupted him...

I get the impression it was a mixture of the delay on the Internet link and Kemp and Pratt's obvious enthusiasm. I do that far too often, and people think I'm being rude; I'm not - I just bubble over a bit too much.

It was great to hear such genuine interest and fascination from two highly respected members of the music industry. That's the passion you get when musicians communicate with other musicians.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby tolo » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:39 am

MeBHank wrote:
Rich Cowling wrote:Thought the same Bill..... blast!! they've interrupted him...

I get the impression it was a mixture of the delay on the Internet link and Kemp and Pratt's obvious enthusiasm.

Totally agree with this - I think there was both genuine respect for Hank as a guitarist and influencer and real fondness for him as a human being. It was clear that they had done their homework - and were fully aware of how Hank and The Shadows had impacted the British music scene down the years - as well as having full appreciation for the MWF albums and more recent Gypsy guitar material. I am happy that they didn't dwell on his solo cover albums though :)

I particularly liked the line 'Have you got a painting in the attic?'!!
http://www.tonylowther.com

ProTools 2020 - UA Apollo - Furman AC210 - 10.13 - i7 3.4Ghz Quad - 32G Crucial DDR3
tolo

Full Real Name: Tony Lowther

Postby djangomarvin » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:50 pm

Totally agree with previous posts - such an enjoyable interview. More like a wide-ranging chat between friends. Gary and Guy really did their homework and showed total respect. Hank as ever was more than happy to tell old familiar stories, but also gave new insights. Every aspect of his career was covered - he was modest about his Gypsy Jazz work, calling it ‘a bit of fun’, but those like me who have the Django’s Castle CD will know that he has a superb jazz feel, and a real love for the music. I love Django Reinhardt’s music and was lucky enough to see Stephane Grappelly live, so I can see how close he gets to that unique sound. I can’t imagine ever hearing a better interview with Hank. I look forward to hearing a few more of this pair’s podcasts if they’re half as good as this one.
djangomarvin

Full Real Name: Francis O’Connor

Return to The Shadows