Brian Bennett - Voyage (of re-discovery!)

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Brian Bennett - Voyage (of re-discovery!)

Postby drakula63 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:16 pm

With just a couple of days to go until Brian Bennett hits 81, I am pleased to see that an album that I first bought in 1981 - Voyage - is about to be released in an expanded edition on CD. 'a journey into discoid funk', as it is subtitled, has been a fave of mine for most of these last four decades. It is indeed danceable, and yet also quite hypnotic at the same time, with its pulsing synths and electronic soundscapes. A few years ago it was re-issued on both vinyl and CD by Isle of Jura, and whilst it sounded incredible, the packaging left a lot to be desired... indeed, it was mediocre at best. All we got was a simple fold-over single sheet inlay, the outside comprising a repro of the outer LP sleeve (the reverse being so small that the writing on it was unreadable) and absolutely nothing in the gatefold, but a b&w advert and a selection of Jura's back catalogue. Very disappointing and pathetic. This 2CD expanded edition fills me with confidence and expectation and I'm sure the accompanying booklet will be just as good to look at as the CDs will be to hear. I've already ordered mine from Leo's Den. Here's their info on the release.

Brian Bennett
Voyage - 2CD Set
PRE-ORDER March 26th Release.

12.99 GBP + Worldwide Shipping
It is so good to see that Warren has completed one of the many wonderful projects he has in the pipeline. This has been released with Brian’s blessing and Warren who worked closely with Cherry Red to complete, this 2-CD edition of VOYAGE. This release boasts the addition of previously unissued working mixes of the album, plus the rare 7” edits from the single ‘Pendulum Force’.

In 1978, inspired by the Disco boom, and particularly the space age Disco records emanating from the continent, Brian recorded what he described as “A Journey Into Discoid Funk”. Housed in a striking, colourful sleeve depicting – appropriately enough – a spaceship, VOYAGE was a departure for Bennett, serving up infectious, cosmic disco/jazz/funk with a nod towards his earlier, funky library work.

Fast forward to the noughties, when DJs, crate diggers and hip-hop artists are busy sampling old funk and disco records, a new generation discovered VOYAGE. These new fans of the LP had no knowledge of Brian’s past pedigree: they just heard funky breaks and beats, ensuring original copies of VOYAGE are now valuable.

Key track ‘Solstice’ has been sampled by around 60 different artists, including Kanye West, Nas, Madlib. Other tracks from the album to have been sampled include ‘Ocean Glide’ and ‘Chain Reaction’.
Please note if you order this release with any other title, the whole order will be shipped together in March. Thank you.

Track Listing:

DISC ONE
1. VOYAGE
2. SOLSTICE
3. CHAIN REACTION
4. PENDULUM FORCE
5. AIR QUAKE
6. OCEAN GLIDE

DISC TWO
1. PENDULUM FORCE (7” Edit)
2. OCEAN GLIDE (7” Edit)
3. VOYAGE (working mix) *
4. SOLSTICE (working mix) *
5. CHAIN REACTION (working mix) *
6. PENDULUM FORCE (working mix) *
7. AIR QUAKE (working mix) *
8. OCEAN GLIDE (working mix) *

* previously unissued

Also available on CD and LP WITHOUT the extras versions.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Brian Bennett - Voyage (of re-discovery!)

Postby UlrichS » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:03 pm

I am very much looking forward to this set. CD2 is the attraction as it includes the two edited single versions which are up to now only available on those singles. It will also be very interesting to compare the working mixes with the released versions.
But it is a pity that one track has been missed out: The album track "Solstice" (6:24) has been edited for a single release and given a new name "Soul Ice" (3:05). "Soul Ice" was the flipside of "Top Of The World" (DJS 10981, released 22. Jan 1982).
Soul Ice.jpg
Soul Ice.jpg (31.33 KiB) Viewed 6566 times

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby JimN » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:41 am

Solstice (or perhaps Soul ice) was used by Thames Television in early 1980 as the theme tune for an international quiz programme called "Top Of The World".

Hosted by the late Eamonn Andrews, it combined elements of "Mastermind" and other quiz games and pitted contestants from Australia, the United Kingdom and the United States.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_of_the_World_(TV_series)
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby iefje » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:03 pm

This is a very very interesting CD set indeed, I shall buy it! So far, I have the original album on the original 1978 LP, as part of the 1997 See For Miles CD "Rock Dreams/Voyage" and last year's CD issue on the Isle Of Jura label. I also have it on the 1980 Bruton Music library LP "Fantasia".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:21 pm

Just played the second disc of this new 2CD reissue. Incredible!

Disc 2 contains the rough, working mixes of the album, which seems to consist of the drums and bass very much as usual, but with a greatly reduced keyboard track. The keyboards here seem to mostly consist of electric piano, electric clavinet and the VCS3 and Mini Moog synths... in other words, much of the sweeping polyphony and intricate electronic embellishments are (mostly) missing. There is also some percussion missing here and there and the addition of the drum machine. The end result, whilst incomplete, is absolutely a feast for the ears. In its unfinished form, naturally, you can hear things here and there that were perhaps buried in the final mix. This, in a way, leads to a deeper appreciation. Ocean Glide sounds closest to the versions we all know, and yet this is devoid of drums and bass. There's also the added bonus at the start of most of the tracks of hearing Brian's voice counting the bars. This is going to get played a lot and, since it comprises three fifths of the 'live' line-up of Shadows of May 1977... I think it ought to be on everyone's shopping list! The presentation is certainly much better than the Isle of Jura release from last year and the booklet contains notes from Brian, Dick Plant and DJ Bill Brewster, along with a few photos. Congrats to everyone involved in this re-release and very special congrats to Brian, Francis Monkman and Alan Jones for recording this classic. Exactly 40 years since I first heard it, I'm discovering it again!
drakula63

Postby iefje » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:32 pm

drakula63 wrote:Just played the second disc of this new 2CD reissue. Incredible!

Disc 2 contains the rough, working mixes of the album, which seems to consist of the drums and bass very much as usual, but with a greatly reduced keyboard track. The keyboards here seem to mostly consist of electric piano, electric clavinet and the VCS3 and Mini Moog synths... in other words, much of the sweeping polyphony and intricate electronic embellishments are (mostly) missing. There is also some percussion missing here and there and the addition of the drum machine. The end result, whilst incomplete, is absolutely a feast for the ears. In its unfinished form, naturally, you can hear things here and there that were perhaps buried in the final mix. This, in a way, leads to a deeper appreciation. Ocean Glide sounds closest to the versions we all know, and yet this is devoid of drums and bass. There's also the added bonus at the start of most of the tracks of hearing Brian's voice counting the bars. This is going to get played a lot and, since it comprises three fifths of the 'live' line-up of Shadows of May 1977... I think it ought to be on everyone's shopping list! The presentation is certainly much better than the Isle of Jura release from last year and the booklet contains notes from Brian, Dick Plant and DJ Bill Brewster, along with a few photos. Congrats to everyone involved in this re-release and very special congrats to Brian, Francis Monkman and Alan Jones for recording this classic. Exactly 40 years since I first heard it, I'm discovering it again!

Thank you for the teaser Chris, that sounds very promising! My copy is on its way from Leo's Den, so I shall be hearing it very soon. I wonder how Brian, Francis and Alan started recording the tracks. Would the basic track have been recorded live with just Brian on drums and Alan on bass guitar, after which additional drums, percussion, bass guitar and of course all the keyboard parts could be added?
By the way, I wonder if a similar release of the "Rock Dreams" album will be released: the original album on disc one with the non-album B-sides "Clearing Skies" and "Jonty Jump" on disc two, along with working mixes of the album tracks.
iefje

Postby drakula63 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:31 am

The process of recording is explained in the notes to be found in the booklet. It's interesting stuff.
drakula63

Postby Timcooper555 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:25 am

By the way, I wonder if a similar release of the "Rock Dreams" album will be released: the original album on disc one with the non-album B-sides "Clearing Skies" and "Jonty Jump" on disc two, along with working mixes of the album tracks.[/quote]

I think "Rock Dreams" is a great very under rated album.
Would love to see it rereleased with B-sides and any different "takes" if they exist anywhere.
Timcooper555

Full Real Name: Tim L. Cooper

Postby drakula63 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:18 pm

I MUST tell you this! The booklet contains an article by the DJ Bill Brewster. I used to know Bill, about 40 years ago, and the very first gig I ever did (as drummer) was in a little three-piece band supporting the band that he was singing in at the time! But there's more... his best mate was another friend of mine named Roy Bainton. I once lent 'Voyage' to Roy (I'll guess in about 1983) and when he returned it, he said that he hadn't really enjoyed it, as it sounded like the sort of music you hear in lifts and supermarkets! Roy was a music journo who also wrote several books on maritime history and war, etc... He was also a regular contributor to The Fortean Times! It's amusing to think that Bill may well have been round at his house whilst 'Voyage' was in residence and yet he didn't, by his own admission, hear it until the 90s! In 1986 I wrote a short Doctor Who strip which a friend drew and which appeared in a local fanzine. The crew of the space shuttle 'Excalibur' were rendered with the likenesses of Bill and Roy! It's a small world! I haven't seen or been in contact with either of them in a very long time. I had heard that Bill had become a DJ - he also wrote for a football magazine called When Saturday Comes. So unless there's another Bill Brewster who's a DJ and looks almost identical, then it's him! Re. the booklet: To be honest, I don't want to take issue with him, but I tend to think that Tarney and Spencer play bass and drums on 'Ease Along', since I think they wrote it. But that's just a guess on my part. Brian does, of course, play drums and Alan Jones plays bass on MOST of the 'Green Light' album.
drakula63

Postby iefje » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:36 am

It does surprise me a bit, that the announcement of this reissue of the album "Voyage" hasn't been posted on Brian's own official website. The last news entry dates back to January 22nd, 2016, the release of the "Shadowing John Barry" album.
iefje

Next

Return to The Shadows