Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Richmond newspaper article about Bruce...good recent pics

Postby Moderne » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:59 pm

Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Re: Richmond newspaper article about Bruce...good recent pic

Postby Teflon » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:38 pm

Nice article - thanks for posting the link :)

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Gruntfuttock » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:50 am

Thanks for posting that link! I was born in Richmond, and really love that town! Some of the photos with Bruce were taken outside of what used to be my Grandfather’s and Great Grandfather’s boathouses. They were both boat builders and before the last war had many boats that were hired by the public. All that stopped in the sixties when my Grandfather sold up and the Boathouses became part of the Castle Hotel. I have so many wonderful memories of that area!
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby Tigerdaisy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:33 am

Nice article and Bruce is looking well! I knew the area well as I lived close by and used to inhabit Kingston in early sixties...
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby Twilight Ranger » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:13 pm

Thanks for posting the link. I had no idea where Richmond is, so I used Google Earth to find out. I wonder if the planes approaching Heathrow bother Bruce. Probably not, as he doesn't mention it in the article. Or am I mistaken about the location? Is there another Richmond somewhere?

Bruce does look good! I think he should play in Cliff's 80th anniversary tour band next autumn.
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Postby Tone » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:58 pm

Hi Lassi

Yes, you've found the correct Richmond.

It's only a few miles east of Heathrow so is certainly affected by aircraft noise when planes make their final approach over the town from east. The prevailing wind is from the west so an approach from the east happens a lot.

It is said that if you live in a place long enough your brain blocks out aircraft noise so I guess that's happened with Bruce or, if not, he's decided he can live with it because Richmond is such a nice place!

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby drakula63 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:08 pm

Since Bruce is happy for people to know that he lives in Richmond, I'll reveal that this is indeed where my mate Steven used to live and where he bumped into Bruce once. It's a nice place, I think I've only been there a couple of times, and I must admit that I didn't really notice any planes. Maybe my mind was on other things or maybe I was just lucky! It took about 40 mins on the train from London, if my memory serves me correctly, to get there. It would definitely be a great place to live... but I don't think mere mortals such as I could possibly afford it!

Bruce still looks great and, apart from his white hair (of which I am envious!), he doesn't seem to have aged much in decades. Obviously he drank from the same fountain as Cliff. And Hank. And Brian.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Vaughan » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:35 pm

Excellent article on Bruce in Richmond - thank you kindly :)
Vaughan

Full Real Name: Vaughan Hill

Postby Gatwick1946 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm

Thank you Clive,

My gratitude for the link. It is good to see any mention of The Shadows, in the current media.

Richmond, Surrey is certainly a lovely place to retire to, if one has a bit of brass put by, in order to put the madding crowds at a distance! As for noise - get triple glazing - in most of Southeast England it is difficult to avoid the constant roar of background noise.

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby Moderne » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:34 am

I'm glad so many people have enjoyed reading this article. I've been aware that Bruce lived in Richmond for quite some time - anyone know how long he's been there? It must have been quite a trek up to Hertfordshire for him when he was working regularly with Brian and Hank. And John Rostill in the 70s.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Return to The Shadows