Paris Olympia cassette

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Paris Olympia cassette

Postby drakula63 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:19 pm

Just been listening to the cassette version of Live at the Paris Olympia. Recently acquired from ebay. The cassette is in superb condition and the sound was brilliant. Because I didn't look closely at it beforehand, I was surprised to discover that the running order has been changed a bit, with Nivram, Honourable Puff Puff and Little 'B' changing sides, as it were, presumably to make the music fit better.

TC-EMC 3095

Side 1
The Rise and Fall of Flingel Bunt
Man of Mystery
Little 'B'
Lady of the Morning
Tiny Robin
Sleepwalk
Apache

Side 2
Shadoogie
Guitar Tango
Marmaduke
Somewhere
Nivram
Honourable Puff Puff
MEDLEY:
Lucile, Rip it Up, Blue Suede Shoes.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Paris Olympia cassette

Postby iefje » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:37 am

That's very interesting. The original LP fades in at the start of side one and fades out at the end of that side and the same again with side two. The cassette issue has a different running order, but does it still have full loudness all the way through side one and also side two? In other words, on the original LP, after "Man Of Mystery" comes "Lady Of The Morning", but on the cassette "Little 'B'", so does the sound fade out after "Man Of Mystery" and fade in again just before "Little 'B'" or is there full loudness between those two tracks? Is this the same with the other places where the running order has been altered?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:04 pm

To the best of my memory and having only played it once, the audience sound between tracks is maintained... no fades in or out that aren't on the original LP. Side 1 fades in with Flingel Bunt and fades out after Apache. The 'joins' (where edits have been made to the LP running order) are fairly smooth. I did notice that at one point a bit of dialogue had been cut in two - the first bit retained where it had been originally and the rest of it moved. I think this was from the start of Nivram. The overall effect is very good and if you can get over the fact that Little 'B' (i.e. a drum solo!) is the third track, then it all runs pretty smoothly and if you weren't familiar with the LP then you might not realise what had been done. As I say, the sound is perfect and I will play it again soon. I had never seen it before and so snapped it up as soon as I saw it on ebay.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby George Geddes » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:20 pm

Very interesting. I have the MfP double cassette which pairs Olympia with the Sankei Hall album.

The cassette running order is the same as the original LP.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Timcooper555 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:23 am

drakula63 wrote:Just been listening to the cassette version of Live at the Paris Olympia. Recently acquired from ebay. The cassette is in superb condition and the sound was brilliant. Because I didn't look closely at it beforehand, I was surprised to discover that the running order has been changed a bit, with Nivram, Honourable Puff Puff and Little 'B' changing sides, as it were, presumably to make the music fit better.

TC-EMC 3095

Side 1
The Rise and Fall of Flingel Bunt
Man of Mystery
Little 'B'
Lady of the Morning
Tiny Robin
Sleepwalk
Apache

Side 2
Shadoogie
Guitar Tango
Marmaduke
Somewhere
Nivram
Honourable Puff Puff
MEDLEY:
Lucile, Rip it Up, Blue Suede Shoes.

I love it when people find out things like this, well done.
Just goes to show that years after these releases there is always something new to find out.
I collect all Cliff (sorry!) but have never bothered with cassettes, apart from when they use to issue cassette singles. Perhaps I should start looking out for some.
Timcooper555

Full Real Name: Tim L. Cooper

Return to The Shadows