Hank Marvin new cd?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank Marvin new cd?

Postby bgohara » Wed May 12, 2021 10:23 am

Arpeggio wrote:I remember reading a comment somewhere (but I cannot recall the precise details) that, for whatever reason/s, Hank was ultimately dissatisfied with his "Guitar Syndicate" project. He was most unhappy that it came out on CD (See For Miles) apparently. So....I would guess that he would not sanction any kind of reissue of it nowadays.

Rob - don’t ever recall Hank making comments that he was dissatisfied with it - I do remember you asking him about that album in your Shadsfax / unpublished RC extensive interview and I recall him saying something like ‘I’d love to do something like that again’ - but I don’t remember him saying he was dissatisfied with it?

As for a reissue - and Hank being apparently against it, well they used 3 or 4 tracks on Hank’s 3 cd ‘Gold’ from a year or so back - including Ebb Tide, Bird of Beauty, Syndicated and Flamingo - and I thought Hank had been involved in the track listing. Maybe he’s possibly not happy with a couple of tracks (though, as someone else said, Jay Z seemed perfectly happy to sample New Earth) but I see the main barrier to a re release as being a commercial, rather than an artistic one
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby Fenderman » Wed May 12, 2021 5:18 pm

Sorry you are correct - i haven't played it for quite some time and dug it out and yes there is some b&w pictures of Hank, i must have got mixed up.
My memory must be failing!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed May 12, 2021 7:33 pm

If I may say so, failing memory is an increasing hazard as we try to dot the final i’s and cross the equivalent t’s as we chronicle the story of our heroes (as best we recall it.)
I remember Jet and Licorice both thinking they’d been on the same recording. And, before you ask, it wasn’t Bo Diddley...
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Derek Mowbray » Wed May 12, 2021 8:37 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:If I may say so, failing memory is an increasing hazard as we try to dot the final i’s and cross the equivalent t’s as we chronicle the story of our heroes (as best we recall it.)
I remember Jet and Licorice both thinking they’d been on the same recording. And, before you ask, it wasn’t Bo Diddley...

There are two versions of Some Are Lonely from Out Of the Shadows with different style of bass playing
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

Postby iefje » Thu May 13, 2021 10:00 am

Derek Mowbray wrote:
Iain Purdon wrote:If I may say so, failing memory is an increasing hazard as we try to dot the final i’s and cross the equivalent t’s as we chronicle the story of our heroes (as best we recall it.)

There are two versions of Some Are Lonely from Out Of the Shadows with different style of bass playing

One version was recorded on December 19th, 1961 and the other one on the 21st. Both versions feature Jet on bass.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Fenderman » Thu May 13, 2021 3:48 pm

Some are lonely was written by Cliff, did he ever record it or did he write is specially for the Shadows?
Fenderman

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu May 13, 2021 9:23 pm

Derek Mowbray wrote:There are two versions of Some Are Lonely from Out Of the Shadows with different style of bass playing

Yes, the earlier recording, known as the French version, is taken more slowly than the later one, done two days later. I guess everyone thought the French version was pretty much right but needed speeding up, so they went back in and did exactly that. I also suspect the French version may not have been intended for release but escaped somehow!

Fenderman wrote:Some are Lonely was written by Cliff, did he ever record it or did he write it specially for the Shadows?

Cliff saw them all as a 5 piece group in those days so contributing a number he wouldn't be singing on is arguably on a par with him playing that Chinese drum on Apache. There is no separate vocal version by Cliff that I know of.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby GoldenStreet » Thu May 13, 2021 9:50 pm

It would appear that neither Cliff nor anyone else ever wrote a lyric to the tune, and the only other recording I have found is by the Dutch cover band, Blue Explosion...

https://secondhandsongs.com/performance/1117278

From the their album, My Instrumental Dream...

https://www.samsammusic.com/Blue-Explos ... l-Dream/en

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Fenderman » Fri May 14, 2021 4:21 pm

drakula63 wrote:I wish someone would do a really good CD release of The Hank Marvin Guitar Syndicate. Surely this would sell enough to make it viable - and let's not forget that, apparently, Jay-Z sampled 'New Earth', so that alone would be worth mentioning as a selling point. Or maybe not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFS_RKtOqY4

I have this on both vinyl and CD. The vinyl version has a sticker on it saying 'Factory demonstration copy - not for sale'. Someone must have smuggled it out of the Hayes plant.
Fenderman

Postby P.G.M.G. » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:22 pm

Dear members,
The new cd of rare recordings from Hank, is announced at Leo's Den.

Best wishes,
Peter
P.G.M.G.

Full Real Name: Peter Geuijen

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows