The Shads Live in 1964

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shads Live in 1964

Postby JimN » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:28 pm

RayL wrote:
JimN wrote: Nivram, which up until then, I regarded - reasonably - as being a mere filler track on their first album and of no particular significance.

Reasonably? a mere filler?
Shadows EP.JPG

Ah, Jim, while you were buying the album in 1961, I could only afford the EP, and I was really taken with Nivram from the start. To begin with, there's Bruce playing twin lead along with Hank. As Cliff says in the notes on the EP, "I think the most pleasing are the instrumental harmony pieces from Bruce and Hank" - and he's not wrong.
Then there's a bass guitar solo from Jet. How many bass guitar solos had there been on pop records before then? None. That was a first, and it was a solo that had been composed on as well as for a bass guitar, complete with that cheeky quote from the Sailors' Hornpipe at the end. Any Shadows band who plays Nivram expects the bass to play that solo note for note.

That was no filler.
Ray

I had that EP (in 1963) as well. I didn't get a copy of the LP until 1966 (a birthday present).

But consider this: I never heard any mention of Nivram except on that EP and LP. In particular, it was never played at any of the three live performances I saw before 1969. For me, it was literally just an album track. I liked it but not as much as Shadoogie, See You In My Drums or Find Me A Golden Street. What other significance did it have for someone in my position? Not a lot.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: The Shads Live in 1964

Postby drakula63 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:18 pm

I've literally just played the 1962 'Live at Kingston ABC' live album. Incredible! The band is on fire and Little B is like a controlled explosion! I really find it hard to believe that Columbia didn't think it was good enough to release at the time... it would have been a smash hit and I'm sure would have been very highly regarded as live albums go. Jet's solo in Nivram is substantially different. Interesting that although they sort of start with it, they don't actually play Apache. This is certainly a recording worth getting. I've had it since it was (eventually!) released in 2002 but, until now, hadn't played it for years. I'd forgotten how great it is.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Previous

Return to The Shadows