The Shadows: live recordings with overdubs?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Shadows: live recordings with overdubs?

Postby iefje » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:30 pm

The Shadows have released a fair number of live recordings over the years, not nearly as much The Ventures, but sufficient I think.
I was wondering about some of the later live recordings though. Whether some parts have been replaced to repair mistakes in the original performance. I have noticed, that the concert footage from the 1984 reunion concerts with Cliff Richard have some differences in Hank's lead guitar parts, when comparing the official 1984 VHS/Betamax video release with the recent release on Cliff Richard's official YouTube channel. It seems that Hank's lead guitar parts are genuinely live in the version of the YouTube channel, but for some parts altered for the VHS/Betamax version. This made me wonder if the live recordings from the 1978 reunion concerts with Cliff Richard are entirely genuine, especially also because remix/overdub sessions took place at Abbey Road Studios in December, 1978. Someone here on the forum once noticed a repair/overdub on one of the 1989 live recordings from the "At Their Very Best Live" VHS video/laser disc release and also one of the 2004 live recordings from "The Final Tour". Does anyone know more about this?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: The Shadows: live recordings with overdubs?

Postby iefje » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:29 am

I posted this thread a year ago, but during the last couple of days began to wonder about the subject again. Does anyone have any information about this?
iefje

Re: The Shadows: live recordings with overdubs?

Postby iefje » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:18 pm

I see I have already more or less asked this question in the following thread, seven and a half years ago:
http://shadowmusic.bdme.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11224&p=80486&hilit=thank+you+very+much+overdubs#p80486
iefje

Return to The Shadows