Cliff & The Shadows Night

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Cliff & The Shadows Night

Postby Teflon » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:43 pm

I received the latest news letter from Leos Den today, and it contained a link to a youtube video from Indonesia of a Cliff & The Shadows night. As a result, I've just spent a very pleasant evening watching a terrific performance of Cliff & Shads material performed by a very talented group of musicians.

A particular highlight for me was seeing some of the Shadows numbers performed with an actual string section, rather than the usual reliance on keyboards. The chap who plays lead is very talented and does a cracking job in my view and the whole performance has a pretty authentic feel to it. Well worth a watch in my opinion - I'd be interested in the views of other members.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Re: Cliff & The Shadows Night

Postby Uncleboko » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:03 pm

Many thanks for this, as you said it's very good indeed, the lead guitarist is excellent!
Uncleboko

Full Real Name: Stephen Giles

Postby Stu's Dad » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:05 pm

They're an excellent band and I agree about the lead guitarist, he was great. The singer was OK, but if I were him I'd hang on to the day job. Maybe he comes across better with his own songs. I wonder why there was no audience?

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby MeBHank » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:10 am

What a cracking production! I know Andy on this site (username: abstamaria) has done something similar with backing singers and live string sections, and he and his team seem to play the music with a more purist approach than these guys. At first listen, there are some parts of the arrangements that I'd prefer not to hear included, including the constant use of piano, extra fills on the drums that needn't be there, and additional orchestral parts. If I was producer I'd be telling the MD that not everyone on stage needs to be involved in every tune, but, overall, I'm knocked out by the polished presentation. At first I didn't like the synth strings being used to fill out the sound seeing as there is a string section, but the resultant sound is huge.

Looking further at the videos on the same YouTube channel, it seems the ThomShell Light Orchestra is a/the resident group at the Ballroom at Djakarta Theatre, and it seems to be the venue that has put this together, seeing as this is posted on their YouTube channel. I see that the same ensemble has, with different lead singers, produced lots of similar shows. There are other tribute 'nights' in the list (ones based on the music of Tom Jones and Connie Francis). The musicians seem to be professionals who play all sorts of music at various times, and don't seem to have spent their lives focusing on The Shads as many of us have!

That said, the lead guitarist, Echank Caesar, gets a great sound... and he's playing a Custom Shop Hank signature Strat, complete with Easy-Mute trem and the 'right' Fender guitar strap (now discontinued). He reallys plays the sound, too, and captures Hank's musical personality brilliantly, which tells me he's a Hank nut just like many of us! He wouldn't be out of place leading a band at ShadowMania. Maybe he was partly responsible for getting the orchestra to do a show of Cliff and The Shads' music. Oh, and the other videos feature the same stage layout, with the lead and rhythm guitarists on stage left and right respectively, with the bassist in the middle! Hmm! I wonder where that idea came from!

The band are so tight, too! The version of When the Girl in Your Arms Is the Girl in Your Heart is utterly stunning. The more I listen the more I like this outfit. Such a professional sound.

I wish someone had put together a project, complete with a string section, for the purpose of appearing at ShadowMania. I expect it wouldn't have been cost effective, though.

In fact, looking more closely, they've really pushed the boat out. Just look at the backline - all those Boogies and AC30s! The Voxes don't appear in any of the company's other videos, as far as I can see. I struggle to understand how this project has happened, especially without an audience! As someone who has put a professional show together, I can identify when a hell of a lot of effort has gone into a production. It can't be time- or cost-effective in any way! Complete, extensive, scored orchestral arrangements. Authentic guitars (mainly) and equipment. A fully edited video projection for the stage backdrop. All filmed, edited, and professionally-produced... for YouTube (with no ads for revenue)! The final product is made to a higher standard than anything we've seen from the Shads community since the Cliff and The Shads DVD was released!

I'll say now, I'd love to have a similar budget to put on such a show as this! I'm envious!

Stu's Dad wrote:I wonder why there was no audience?

These are recent uploads to YouTube, so you can safely bet this was filmed during COVID restrictions/lockdown (perhaps the whole project was put together during the pandemic). In some of the videos of other shows you can see the musicians wearing facemasks. I expect these projects were a way for this company to keep working and have a creative outlet (though, as I said, I'm stumped as to how it materialised).

Despite being played by, for want of a better title, session musicians, it's fantastic to see the continued, worldwide appeal of this music. I'd love to see this show filmed with a full audience! I wonder what the popularity would be with the Indonesian public in terms of ticket sales; the ballroom/theatre is obviously a large auditorium.

Brilliant stuff. Superbly executed. So many questions!
Last edited by MeBHank on Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby Twilight Ranger » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:16 am

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed this group's version of Travelling Light more than the "unplugged" version Cliff & The Shadows performed on their final tour. I wonder why they had forsaken the original arrangement? Now that Cllff and The Shadows no longer play together, these guys could go on a world tour as a good replacement! :)
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Postby Rich Cowling » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:17 pm

Doesn't Cliff and The Shadows music travel well... an excellent production, great choice of numbers just a great salute to the music they love.... thanks for the link.
Rich Cowling

Full Real Name: Richard Cowling

Postby Teflon » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:35 pm

Glad you all enjoyed it :) . For me, the guitarist Echank Caesar was the real star of the show. Not only did he have a great sound and playing style, but he really seemed to be enjoying every moment of the performance. As Justin says, surely he has to be a Hank fan! I'd love to know what he was saying when he was interviewed just before playing Wonderful Land. I was particularly impressed with the fluent way he played Deer Hunter without using a volume pedal. I have seen players use the guitar volume control like that on a few occasions in the past, but he really made it look so simple and easy.

Having said that, it really was a first class performance from all involved and it was evident that a heck of a lot of work had gone into the presentation, as well as the musical arrangements. A nice touch were those moments when the video backdrop of Cliff was singing in sync with the performance - a lovely little detail :) .

I for one would love to see them live.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:21 pm

Teflon wrote:I'd love to know what he was saying when he was interviewed just before playing Wonderful Land. I was particularly impressed with the fluent way he played Deer Hunter without using a volume pedal. I have seen players use the guitar volume control like that on a few occasions in the past, but he really made it look so simple and easy.

Cliff

Yes, Echank Caesar, in particular, is a bit special. It's ironic we have the English subtitles for the songs sung in English, but none for the on stage announcements and conversation between numbers.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Syd62 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:09 pm

All shows that involves Cliff and the Shads always goes down well with me. But that guitarist was absolutely superb. What a talent. I have never heard Adios Muchachos played live before. Brilliant.
Syd62

Full Real Name: Syd Langston

Postby Tone » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:29 pm

I've watched and listened to this over several sessions and I really enjoyed it. I endorse what everyone else has said - and that's a brilliant summary by Justin.

It may just be me but I thought I detected a different tone on the lead guitar in Part 2. It seemed to have more of a growl to it, particularly on 'Foot Tapper.' Is it possible that the guitarist was using the Vox in the first part and the Mesa Boogie in the second (or vice versa)? I didn't notice an echo unit so it was probably off-stage. I'm sure the purists observed that whilst he changed pickups in 'Adios Muchachos' he didn't for the intro and outro in 'Atlantis'!

Every song was mainstream apart from 'The Girl On The Bus' which certainly isn't and I wonder how that crept in. And I think there could have been a better final number than 'All My Love.' But this is a very minor niggle in the context of an excellent performance by all involved.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Next

Return to The Shadows