RWCL cassette

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

RWCL cassette

Postby drakula63 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:01 pm

Absolutely delighted with my latest ebay acquisition... an original 1973 (I assume) cassette of Rockin' With Curly Leads. The cassette, box and inlay are all in great condition, albeit you can tell that they are almost half a century old. As with the 8-track, the running order is a bit different. Here it is:

The Shadows - Rockin' With Curly Leads. TC-EMA 762

Side 1
Pinball Wizard- See Me, Feel Me
Deep Roots
Good Vibrations
Years Away
Humbucker
Jumpin' Jack Input

Side 2
Jungle Jam
Wide Mouthed Frog
Gracie
Turn Around And Touch Me
Rockin' With Curly Leads
Gutbucket

An interesting running order. The cassette, as I say, looks perfect and although I didn't necessarily buy it to play (!) I shall maybe try later on.

As an added bonus; the box contained a very old looking receipt, which must have been for the original purchase of this cassette. The receipt is from
John Menzies and is for 3.25.

A bargain!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: RWCL cassette

Postby JimN » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:20 pm

Well done, Chris.

Is there a date on the receipt?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby drakula63 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:14 pm

Maybe. It's obviously a very old receipt and was folded up inside the inlay card. It's got the John Menzies name & logo at the top, then the price and then, bottom left, it's got what looks like:

04 X 76 9 7 5 7

Now an educated guess would be 4th of October 1976. Don't have any other old receipts to compare it with. But maybe that's it.
drakula63

Postby anniv 63 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:27 pm

I worked for this company( Menzies) in the 1970s. By around 1976 most of their larger Retail Store outlets
had changed to Gross itemiser type tills which had code for Record Dept sales and accessories. Part of the
code could refer to the shop itself for identification in an audit or check. Remember no computer links to
Head Office in those golden days!!!
Sorry I cant crack the code other than your educated guess!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby drakula63 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:17 am

I played the tape last night. Perfect! I was unsure if the almost completely different running order would work... but it sort of did. Odd hearing those tunes in a different order though. I am tempted to suggest that it would have worked even better if side one and been side two and side two had been side one. One thing I did notice was that a few of the tracks seemed to have a slightly slower fade out or cut off, so you heard a tiny bit more than usual. This, of course, could just be my imagination or maybe because of the different acoustic properties of the tape - if there is such a thing. Anyway, we're only talking about a second or two here or there, so nothing major. All in all... money well spent!
drakula63

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:01 pm

anniv 63 wrote:I worked for this company( Menzies) in the 1970s

So did I!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Gary Allen » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:08 am

I played the "String of hits" cassette recently and it sounded better than the cd...don't know why...strange...
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby iefje » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:49 am

Gary Allen wrote:I played the "String of hits" cassette recently and it sounded better than the cd...don't know why...strange...

Probably because it's an analogue medium, which is always superior to any digital source (including high resolution audio files) in terms of sonic information, under the condition of course that the tape is in mint condition.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:25 pm

STOP PRESS +++

Just received a cassette of 1977's TASTY from ebay. Looks to be in excellent condition. Amazingly, as with the RWCL cassette, there is a very old receipt tucked inside the inlay. It's very faded, but I can make out that it's from Woolworths and is for 2.99. And the date looks like 27 September 80.

I shall scan both receipts in and try to post them later!
drakula63

Postby drakula63 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:29 am

iefje wrote:
Gary Allen wrote:I played the "String of hits" cassette recently and it sounded better than the cd...don't know why...strange...

Probably because it's an analogue medium, which is always superior to any digital source (including high resolution audio files) in terms of sonic information, under the condition of course that the tape is in mint condition.

When all is said and done, these albums were all recorded on tape in the first place and so releasing them on the same medium is probably the most sympathetic way of presenting them. Cassettes always seemed to have a bit of a bad reputation, but this was probably more because they had a tendency to get twisted or to stretch or wear out with repeated playing. The sound quality was always good. Last night I played the second half of the Paris Olympia cassette that I bought a few weeks back and it sounded fantastic... as good as the record or CD. Sadly, the cassette of Tasty wasn't so good, but this seemed to be due to the physical condition of the tape itself... the music - what I could hear of it! - sounded OK.
drakula63

Return to The Shadows