Queen’s Platinum Jubilee 2022

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Queen’s Platinum Jubilee 2022

Postby howarddobson » Wed May 12, 2021 9:36 pm

Gov.uk website says: The UK will celebrate Her Majesty The Queen’s 70th anniversary as monarch with a blockbuster weekend of celebrations, Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has announced

I wonder if there’ll be a special concert... I’m sure Cliff would be asked to perform.
howarddobson

Full Real Name: Howard Dobson

Re: Queen’s Platinum Jubilee 2022

Postby bgohara » Thu May 13, 2021 11:13 am

Did you see him at the last one? The thing that struck me about that show was how poor he, Elton and Paul McCartney were. He was even a little off key (in my opinion) - which is not like Cliff - maybe he couldn’t hear himself? Tom Jones was the only one of the veteran performers in that show who shone (in my opinion)
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby Teflon » Thu May 13, 2021 1:25 pm

bgohara wrote:Did you see him at the last one? The thing that struck me about that show was how poor he, Elton and Paul McCartney were. He was even a little off key (in my opinion) - which is not like Cliff - maybe he couldn’t hear himself? Tom Jones was the only one of the veteran performers in that show who shone (in my opinion)

He was suffering from a cold, so decided to change the key for "Dynamite" to make it easier to sing. There was subsequently an issue with the sound system, and a number of performers were unable to hear their own vocals. In Cliffs case, instinct kicked in and he sang "Dynamite" in his usual key, so was out of tune with the band. It's the reason that so many performers sounded dreadful on that occasion. I recall Cheryl Cole in particular getting a lot of stick for her performance, but it really wasn't her fault (not that I'm a particular fan of hers).

Just to redress the matter a little, check out this live version of "We Don't Talk Anymore". :

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby anniv 63 » Thu May 13, 2021 5:17 pm

I am sure Her Majesty will be looking forward to to this Event especially with a nice cup of tea
and ginger snap as well!!!
Even She (I have great respect for her) must have to try to sit through and listen to music she dislikes
irrespective as to the legends they might be. How much will she be consulted on programme content?

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu May 13, 2021 8:51 pm

bgohara wrote:Did you see him at the last one? The thing that struck me about that show was how poor he, Elton and Paul McCartney were. He was even a little off key (in my opinion) - which is not like Cliff - maybe he couldn’t hear himself? Tom Jones was the only one of the veteran performers in that show who shone (in my opinion)

As Teflon says, he was flying blind. The same happened to Elton and Macca. They did their professional best but were let down by bad monitoring.

Tom Jones was terrific. Whether he had better luck with the technology than the others I don't know...
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby artyman » Thu May 13, 2021 9:35 pm

Will Brian May play on top of Buckingham Palace again ?
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Re: Hank Marvin new cd?

Postby howarddobson » Thu May 13, 2021 10:26 pm

Anyway if the Shads needed something big to put in an appearance it probably wouldn’t get much bigger than that
howarddobson

Postby howarddobson » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:05 pm

Announced today 2/6:

Details of celebrations to mark the Queen's Platinum Jubilee next June have been revealed by Buckingham Palace.

There will be a special four-day Bank Holiday weekend from 2-5 June 2022 - Thursday to Sunday - when communities are encouraged to celebrate together.

A live concert at Buckingham Palace, called the Platinum Party at the Palace, will feature "the world's biggest entertainment stars".

On the Saturday, the Queen will be joined by members of the Royal Family at the Derby, held at Epsom Downs. The live concert at the palace will take place that evening.

Performers have yet to be named, but it is billed as bringing together some of the world's biggest stars to celebrate the most significant and joyous moments from the Queen's seven-decade reign.

The Sunday will see communities take part in the Big Jubilee Lunch, with street parties held across the UK.
howarddobson

Postby howarddobson » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:32 am

It seems as though Cliff is performing at the Platinum Party at the Palace, at 81. No sign of any Shadows yet though.
howarddobson

Postby SJB » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:49 pm

I have been told that top of the bill will be a demo of Loopers. :lol:
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Return to The Shadows