Hank Marvin Dance With The Guitar Man

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW RELEASE SOON: Hank Marvin Dance With The Guitar Man

Postby davidherbert54 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:33 pm

"London's not too far" on this Cd is not correct as it is actually from The Mike and Bernie Winters Show, on the 6. Jan. 1968, with the Shadows and temporary including Brian Locking on bass. They also played "Naughty Nippon Nights". This makes this performance all the more special. These two numbers were also performed on "The Big Show,5 May 1968 but with John Rostill back on bass. I hope this puts the record straight.
davidherbert54

Full Real Name: dave herbert

Postby iefje » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:14 am

davidherbert54 wrote:"London's not too far" on this Cd is not correct as it is actually from The Mike and Bernie Winters Show, on the 6. Jan. 1968, with the Shadows and temporary including Brian Locking on bass. They also played "Naughty Nippon Nights". This makes this performance all the more special. These two numbers were also performed on "The Big Show,5 May 1968 but with John Rostill back on bass. I hope this puts the record straight.

Thank you for the information David, highly appreciated!
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:48 am

davidherbert54 wrote:"London's not too far" on this Cd is not correct as it is actually from The Mike and Bernie Winters Show, on the 6. Jan. 1968, with the Shadows and temporary including Brian Locking on bass. They also played "Naughty Nippon Nights". This makes this performance all the more special. These two numbers were also performed on "The Big Show,5 May 1968 but with John Rostill back on bass. I hope this puts the record straight.

I'll be interested to hear this. I remember watching that Mike & Bernie Winters Show with Licorice back in on bass. However, I thought, maybe wrongly, that they were miming to the commercial records. If this was actually a performance for TV then its rarity value is immense.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby iefje » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:11 pm

To my ears, the version of "London's Not Too Far" has a different instrumental accompaniment than the original single version, but doesn't sound like The Shadows at all, rather like an orchestra.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:34 pm

In that case I’d love to hear Naughty Nippon Nights done live. I always thought the official recorded version was just on the right side of chaotic. I also remember Lic’s face working as he tackled the busy bass part. If that wasn’t a mime, well done indeed!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:17 pm

Top - to go with the post about Hank with a Gibson
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin