Hank Marvin Dance With The Guitar Man

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW RELEASE SOON: Hank Marvin Dance With The Guitar Man

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:14 pm

Moderne wrote: … incidentally this and numerous other Shadows/Hank performances from the '70s/'80s seem to have disappeared from YouTube - anyone else noticed this?)

Yes, YouTube is full of material that legally shouldn’t be there. Rights holders are constantly trawling the site for stuff they own, either to stamp on the breach of their copyright or to monetise it. If you see something on YouTube that you want, bear in mind it may not be there next time!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby GoldenStreet » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:24 am

Iain Purdon wrote:
Moderne wrote: … incidentally this and numerous other Shadows/Hank performances from the '70s/'80s seem to have disappeared from YouTube - anyone else noticed this?)

Yes, YouTube is full of material that legally shouldn’t be there. Rights holders are constantly trawling the site for stuff they own, either to stamp on the breach of their copyright or to monetise it. If you see something on YouTube that you want, bear in mind it may not be there next time!

In this context there were, at one time, quite a few uploads on YouTube by a character identified as Andrewshadowy of earlier Shadows recordings, particularly broadcast and unissued material, none of which appears to be there now.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:44 am

Indeed. I do not know who Andrewshadowy is/was. Maybe the cybercops got him?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby JimN » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:47 am

Arpeggio wrote:Yes...you can refer to it as the Seguidilla from "Carmen" if you like - but I have also heard it being referred to as "Spanish Gypsy Dance". Of course, I realise that it is confusing as there is the more well - known "Spanish Gypsy Dance" (Narro) & doubtless many others. :lol:

Well, it is confusing, because Joe, when he used to play the Bizet piece live, referred to it as Seguidilla. An instance of that was at the 1964 NME Pollwinners' Concert (televised as "Big Beat '64"). I still have a recording of that somewhere.

On the other hand Joe is featured on a BBC recording of Narro's España cañí under the title Spanish Gypsy Dance.

Was it the Bizet piece that Hank and Joe played?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Arpeggio » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:19 pm

Yes.....they did the Bizet & not the "S G Dance" that Joe normally played for so many, many years. So..it was the 'Seguidilla" - but it's listed on this CD as "S G Dance". Pretty rare performance whatever it's referred to as. :o :shock: :D
Arpeggio

Postby JimN » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:50 pm

GoldenStreet wrote:
dave robinson wrote:Dance With The Guitar Man is Duane Eddy all day long. ;)

I can't really imagine anyone else playing it! One thing I've always wondered: Guild or Gretsch?
Bill

Although Duane was playing his signature Guild guitar by the time that Dance With The Guitar Man was released (1962) and was even pictured with it on the USA sleeve of the single, I'm sure I've seen him quoted as saying that he continued to record with his 1950s Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Hollowbody guitar.
JimN

Postby JimN » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:53 pm

Arpeggio wrote:Yes.....they did the Bizet & not the "S G Dance" that Joe normally played for so many, many years. So..it was the 'Seguidilla" - but it's listed on this CD as "S G Dance". Pretty rare performance whatever it's referred to as. :o :shock: :D

Thanks, Rob. I've got to hear this!
JimN

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:19 pm

JimN wrote:Thanks, Rob. I've got to hear this!

Seconded!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby Arpeggio » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:42 pm

In all probability...Joe playing the main melody with Hank just providing back up. I am guessing that he found it a LOT easier than "Zorba's Dance"!!!! :D :) :shock:
Arpeggio

Postby Fenderman » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:40 am

GoldenStreet wrote:
Iain Purdon wrote:

In this context there were, at one time, quite a few uploads on YouTube by a character identified as Andrewshadowy of earlier Shadows recordings, particularly broadcast and unissued material, none of which appears to be there now.

Bill

I often wondered who his source was as he would post a lot of very rare stuff, mostly tracks that were played live once then never heard again.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows