Hank Marvin Dance With The Guitar Man

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank Marvin Dance With The Guitar Man

Postby iefje » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:27 pm

Another great CD from Dusty Tapes to be issued very soon and available from Leo's Den: Hank Marvin "Dance With The Guitar Man" subtitled "A Collection Of Very Rare TV Recordings 1969-1970".
https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.php?id_product=2243&controller=product
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: NEW RELEASE SOON: Hank Marvin Dance With The Guitar Man

Postby iefje » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:30 pm

I look forward to hear the two versions each of both "Goodnight Dick" and "Classical Gas" and the live version of "Break Another Dawn". I do think that the subtitle is not entirely correct as for instance the track "(Dance With The) Guitar Man" comes from one of the "It's Cliff Richard" episodes from 1971.
iefje

Postby Twilight Ranger » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:39 pm

Is Dance With The Guitar Man the Duane Eddy hit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gk85_TIT_w
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:08 pm

Dance With The Guitar Man is Duane Eddy all day long. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby iefje » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:19 am

Twilight Ranger wrote:Is Dance With The Guitar Man the Duane Eddy hit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gk85_TIT_w

Yes it is, although the lead guitar part is of course in Hank's own style of the time, his Burns guitar combined with a wah-wah pedal. This recording has appeared before on the 1995 Italian semi-bootleg CD on the Fremus label "Wonderful Cliff - The Classic Collection". This CD also includes "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)", "Wake Up Little Susie" and "Bye Bye Love". All three tracks will also appear on the new Dusty Tapes CD.
iefje

Postby Arpeggio » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:59 pm

Thanks Lefje. As I am sure that you are doubtless aware.....over the course of many, many years...different sources have attributed different dates / shows to different tracks. It is sometimes extremely confusing...but..you are probably correct that "D W The G Man" may actually be from 1971...ah well!!! :)
Arpeggio

Postby iefje » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:16 pm

This page has a lot of information on the various TV shows by Cliff Richard, The Shadows, Hank Marvin and Marvin, Welch & Farrar:

http://www.cliffrichardsongs.com/crseries/
iefje

Postby GoldenStreet » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:44 am

dave robinson wrote:Dance With The Guitar Man is Duane Eddy all day long. ;)

I can't really imagine anyone else playing it! One thing I've always wondered: Guild or Gretsch?

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Moderne » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:09 am

iefje wrote:This page has a lot of information on the various TV shows by Cliff Richard, The Shadows, Hank Marvin and Marvin, Welch & Farrar:

http://www.cliffrichardsongs.com/crseries/

Thanks for posting this, Ivo. Unfortunately - although there's some very useful information here, particularly about Cliff's early '60s TV shows - some of the information is incorrect regarding Hank's appearances on Cliff's It's Cliff Richard shows. Hank declined the offer of a residency on the 1972 series of It's Cliff Richard, presumably because he was devoting most of his time to MWF. He also turned down the offer of his own series - as a Victor Borge-style music compere - around this time (I read this somewhere - Rob Bradford can doubtless provide more details). Regarding the 1974 series, Hank only appeared as guest in the first episode - also appearing with John Farrar singing Music Makes My Day and Wilie and the Hand Jive (with Cliff).

It would be great if Dusty Tapes could release a similar CD to the soon-to-be-issued Hank live disc for Cliff/Hank/MWF; I've heard some of the songs Cliff sang with MWF and they're awesome! (Also some more of his duets with Hank would be good - for example the Spanish Harlem/Bird Dog/Proud Mary medley. Incidentally this and numerous other Shadows/Hank performances from the '70s/'80s seem to have disappeared from YouTube - anyone else noticed this?)
Last edited by Moderne on Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby iefje » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:18 am

Moderne wrote:Also some more of his duets with Hank would be good - for example the Spanish Harlem/Bird Dog/Proud Mary medley.

This medley will be issued on the new CD.
iefje

Next

Return to The Shadows