Hank Marvin Dance With The Guitar Man

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW RELEASE SOON: Hank Marvin Dance With The Guitar Man

Postby Moderne » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:05 am

My copy has just arrived - I've only listened to half of it...I can't take any more excitement in one go!! Just one little query - the version of Do You Wanna Dance is attributed to The Cliff Richard Show - January 1970. It featured in the August Bank Holiday 1971 TV special Getaway With Cliff and I always assumed he was backed by Marvin, Welch, Farrar on this; I'm sure I can hear John Farrar's voice in the chorus. Are the compilers sure it was a January 1970 recording? I'm assuming you wrote the sleeve notes, Rob?
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Arpeggio » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:48 am

Yes.....I was asked to contribute notes to this very worthy project. Of course, perhaps not unsurprisingly, I should point out that this CD is not approved / sanctioned by Hank's management team. Such is life I'm afraid. I think that the confusion with the date probably arose because various sources have given out different (not always 100% correct) information about transmission dates / shows over the course of several years. I believe that you are correct in what you say- 1971 and not 1970. :)
Arpeggio

Postby Moderne » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:43 pm

I’m sorry, Rob - don’t think I sounded appreciative enough. It is an awesome release!!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby bgohara » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:59 pm

I love it. Quite a few highlights - but I think the arrangement of Chelsea Boot is brilliant. Much better than the Jogsaw original. Hank on acoustic lead certainly in the early part of the track - but the melody is played on a bass towards the end - I wonder if he dug out his Fender Bass VI to play that bit?? Love it
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby Pgoodw2 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:16 pm

I had most of the tracks included on the CD but even so I will be purchasing it soon. I do have a few queries regarding the sourcing of the following couple of tracks : 1 London’s Not Too Far, 11 Something,
Pgoodw2

Full Real Name: Philip Goodwin

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:47 am

Arpeggio wrote:I should point out that this CD is not approved / sanctioned by Hank's management team.

This begs a question.
Who owns the recordings?
What say is Hank's management entitled to have?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Arpeggio » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:01 am

Iain, I cannot say too much. Naturally, it's not a question of ownership as I believe that all of the 1968 - 1970 broadcast audio only recordings are now in the Public Domain. Also, the majority of the TV programmes themselves no longer exist (having been wiped / destroyed / lost) in any TV or Film archive. It is more a question of Dusty Records / Tapes not having informed or approached Hank's management about the impending release - apparently. I was simply asked to write some notes for the CD - which I duly did.

Philip: "London's Not Too Far" was from "The Mike and Bernie Winter's Show" (actually January, 1968 and not December, 1968 as stated). "Something" was from "It's Cliff Richard!" (January, 1970)
Arpeggio

Postby iefje » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:05 am

Arpeggio wrote:"Something" was from "It's Cliff Richard!" (January, 1970)

Hank also performed a version of "Something" on the "Cliff In Scandinavia" special, recorded in July or August, 1970 and transmitted on October 1st, 1970.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Pgoodw2 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:46 am

Arpeggio wrote:Iain, I cannot say too much. Naturally, it's not a question of ownership as I believe that all of the 1968 - 1970 broadcast audio only recordings are now in the Public Domain. Also, the majority of the TV programmes themselves no longer exist (having been wiped / destroyed / lost) in any TV or Film archive. It is more a question of Dusty Records / Tapes not having informed or approached Hank's management about the impending release - apparently. I was simply asked to write some notes for the CD - which I duly did.

Philip: "London's Not Too Far" was from "The Mike and Bernie Winter's Show" (actually January, 1968 and not December, 1968 as stated). "Something" was from "It's Cliff Richard!" (January, 1970)

Thanks very much Rob
Pgoodw2

Full Real Name: Philip Goodwin

Postby iefje » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:31 pm

I think I have read somewhere (most likely on this forum) that Hank performed "London's Not Too Far" on television with the other members of The Shadows backing him. Is this true for the performance on the "Mike & Bernie Winters Show"?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows