Vote for The Shadows

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Vote for The Shadows

Postby RayL » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:33 am

Boom Radio are asking their listeners to vote for their favourite instrumental, with the 'Boom Instrumentals Chart' going out on Bank Holiday Monday (August 30th).
https://www.boomradiouk.com/the-boom-in ... tal-chart/
They have offered a list of over 100 instros to vote for. The Shadows (with six on the list*) have more on offer than any other.
*Apache, Atlantis, Dance On, Theme From The Deer Hunter, Foot Tapper, Wonderful Land
Jet and Tony have Diamonds and Scarlett O'Hara

Of course, you could be perverse and vote for Clog Dance by Violinski . . .
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Re: Vote for The Shadows

Postby George Geddes » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:04 pm

Mouldy Old Dough by Lt. Pigeon, surely...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:33 pm

Shadows have 5,effectively. Whose idea was it to add that awful dirge the Deerhunterto the list when the John Williams version was already there?

It's an odd list anyway - nothing by Henry Mancini, and none of John Barry's greats are there either.

Anyway, I've made my selection out of the somewhat limited choice available. (Sorry chaps, it wasn't by the Shadows.)
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby MartcasterJunior » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:55 pm

George Geddes wrote:Mouldy Old Dough by Lt. Pigeon, surely...

They've clearly not listened to it very closely if they've included it on that list!
MartcasterJunior

Full Real Name: Mathew Verril

Postby martcaster » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:51 am

Thank goodness someone has, at last, had the courage to express his opinion on Deerhunter. I've never cared for it, though I must say I've seen club members play it superbly at meetings; and there's no doubting its genuine popularity. I think, on reflection, it's Elias and his Zigzag Flutes for me.
martcaster

Full Real Name: Martin Verrill

Postby tolo » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:08 am

MartcasterJunior wrote:
George Geddes wrote:Mouldy Old Dough by Lt. Pigeon, surely...

They've clearly not listened to it very closely if they've included it on that list!

Coventry legends! It sold nearly 800,000 copies - and is the only British #1 to feature Mother & Son!
http://www.tonylowther.com

ProTools 2020 - UA Apollo - Furman AC210 - 10.13 - i7 3.4Ghz Quad - 32G Crucial DDR3
tolo

Full Real Name: Tony Lowther

Postby iefje » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:13 am

I personally like "Theme From The Deer Hunter (Cavatina)". I think the best recorded live version is the one from the group's concert in Rotterdam on April 2nd, 1980. Hank's guitar is almost 'crying' during the second half of the track, very moving I think.
By the way (and off-topic), everyone's entitled to their opinion and you're free to express it here. I personally don't like the so-called 'rautalanka' instrumental music from Scandinavia. I have seen a couple of performances of Scandinavian groups during the International Cliff Richard & The Shadows Fan Meeting in Berkel-Enschot, but I think much of it is monotonous and boring. Multiple tunes in the same key with the same rhythm. Although a lot of them are played at breakneck speed, that doesn't make them worthwhile to me.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby JimN » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:19 am

martcaster wrote:Thank goodness someone has, at last, had the courage to express his opinion on Deerhunter. I've never cared for it, though I must say I've seen club members play it superbly at meetings; and there's no doubting its genuine popularity. I think, on reflection, it's Elias and his Zigzag Flutes for me.

I'm not a huge fan of Cavatina (to give it its correct title), but I do prefer it to Don't Cry For Me, Argentina, which is a real dirge as an instrumental.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:22 am

RayL wrote:Boom Radio are asking their listeners to vote for their favourite instrumental, with the 'Boom Instrumentals Chart' going out on Bank Holiday Monday (August 30th).
https://www.boomradiouk.com/the-boom-in ... tal-chart/
They have offered a list of over 100 instros to vote for. The Shadows (with six on the list*) have more on offer than any other.
*Apache, Atlantis, Dance On, Theme From The Deer Hunter, Foot Tapper, Wonderful Land
Jet and Tony have Diamonds and Scarlett O'Hara

Having so many Shadows' records to pick from is probably going to mean that they don't "win".

I'm no fan of Proportional Representation, but the better way to count the result would surely be to first identify the act with a plurality of votes overall, then select their most voted-for record.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:09 pm

JimN wrote:I'm no fan of Proportional Representation, but the better way to count the result would surely be to first identify the act with a plurality of votes overall, then select their most voted-for record.

Depends whether you’re voting for the tune or for who’s playing it!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Next

Return to The Shadows