Hank with his 1958 Strat

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank with his 1958 Strat

Postby Teflon » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:42 pm

Gatwick1946 wrote:Crikey!

............ Tony Sheridan - Lost out to Hank (bit of bad luck methinks) to be in the Drifters for Cliff's first tour, but did Hank ever meet Tony?

I saw an interview with Hank a while ago (might even have been on "The Shadows at 60" - can't remember) where Hank mentioned Tony Sheridan and claimed that he used to give Tony tips on how to play things whilst at the 2i's.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby JimN » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:33 am

I remember the Ted Taylor Four (had their 45prm M1 - presume this was recorded about the time the M1 opened in 1958).

The first stretch of the M1 (Garston, Herts to Crick, near Rugby) was opened to traffic in November 1959.

Gatwick1946 wrote:So maybe Hank missremembered - was a long time ago!

A few more people who could have given Hank a few tips:-

Eddie Silver - owner of the Vega guitar, said to have been about 23 years old when Hank borrowed it in 1958.

Tony Harvey - used to sit in with the Chesternuts? in the Two I's basement.

Tony Sheridan - Lost out to Hank (bit of bad luck methinks) to be in the Drifters for Cliff's first tour, but did Hank ever meet Tony?

Ike Isaacs - wrote The Rumble on the Shads' 2nd LP.

Ivor Morrantz - not sure if this the correct spelling, but I recall he owned a music store in Denmark St and wrote some guitar tutors?

Mairants (similar to the hi-fi brand). Ivor's music shop was, and I think still is, in Rathbone Place, just off the north side of the eastern end of Oxford Street.

Gatwick1946 wrote:This a quote from Hank in 'The Shadows by Themselves & Royston Ellis:-

"My teacher was the experience gathered twice nightly at shows throughout the country, and the tutor-books which started me off in the early days.
Being in the business, I often meet other guitarists. It's from them that I pick up whatever tips I can, as we chat about our instruments".

Chas McDevitt - lent his strat to Hank (did Bruce borrow it as well?) when Hank broke a string. Hank later got a Gretch as a spare on stage. (no roadies in them days, apart from Sam).

Michael Cox and The Hunters - on the same bill at Colston Hall in Sept 1960.

Finally I wonder who Hank met on their first US tour? Joe Brown has spoken of the advice he got from Eddie Cochran about banjo strings etc.

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Last edited by JimN on Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:41 pm

Ivor Mairants closed as a bricks and mortar shop at the end of last year when the lease on their premises ended, but still have an online presence:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/ivormairants ... 7675.l2563
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:46 pm

Apologies should it have been posted previously, but just come across this video, if you have a spare 25 minutes, of a potted history of the Strat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWFw23PLr-Y

A plethora of facts and figures here... Hank gets a mention too!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Gatwick1946 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:13 pm

Thanks Bill, I will have a look at that.

I think I may be close to straining the moderator's and member's patience with this thread, so with your forbearance, I will start a new thread in How to Get "THAT SOUND".

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby Brynel » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:40 pm

Gatwick1946 wrote:Thanks Bill,

I must do a bit more research online. I can only, from memory, think of Joe Brown and Bert Weedon who Hank would have chatted to about guitars/amps etc. - but neither of them were Fender players then (1959). Hank does mention some other names, but they would have been older chaps who's grounding was in Jazz/ dance band music.

Its a mystery,
Kindest regards,
Christopher

I have a friend who is an avid Joe Brown fan and he very kindly sent me this picture--Joe,Hank and Bert.
phpV61nDcAM.jpg
phpV61nDcAM.jpg (15.86 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
Brynel

Full Real Name: Brian Linkin

Re: Hank with his 1958 Strat (it was a 1959!)

Postby JimN » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:59 am

I remember the Ted Taylor Four (had their 45prm M1 - presume this was recorded about the time the M1 opened in 1958).Christopher

That was November 1959, I think.

Nearly a year after the Harold MacMillan's opening of the Preston Bypass (running north from the A49 at Bamber Bridge to the A6 near Garstang, with one intermediate junction at the A59 near Samlesbury).

Although the bypass was intended to form part of the M6 (and eventually did), it was not given its M-number until later. This has sometimes led to the M1 being erroneously quoted as the first UK functioning motorway. But it wasn't.

More to the point, this was about five or six months after Hank's receipt of 34346. I don't recall Bob Rogers ever claiming to have had a Fender as early as the 1950s (or, in fact, at all). He was wedded to his beloved Gibson L-7 with a Dearmond pickup.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:38 pm

Brynel wrote:
I have a friend who is an avid Joe Brown fan and he very kindly sent me this picture - Joe, Hank and Bert.

The picture was taken on the steps of All Souls Church (often described as the BBC Church) in Langham Place, adjacent to Broadcasting House.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Previous

Return to The Shadows