F.B.I. live on TV

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

F.B.I. live on TV

Postby drakula63 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:20 pm

Never seen this version before. It's a bit rough here and there! Any ideas what programme it's from...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOft4NbBjz4
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: F.B.I. live on TV

Postby JimN » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:43 pm

There was a series of ATV one-hour programmes starting in (I think) late 1960 and carrying on through the first part of 1961. It seems that most, if not all, of them still exist, since various excerpts have surfaced on various retrospective compilations and documentaries over the years.

ATV were connected (of course) with the Grade Organisation, who were the theatrical agents for Cliff Richard and The Shadows. This partly explains the number of times they appeared in ATV shows, including SNATLP, these early Cliff Richard Shows from 1960/61 and the later series of weekday spectaculars from 1965. There was also a half-hour Shadows show in the later summer of 1962, from which only the audio is currently known to survive. All (apart from Palladium appearances) made at the ATV Elstree studio complex which now belongs to the BBC and where "Eastenders" is made.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:18 pm

That’s a terrific live version. It has the energy, attack and texture of the original record. They didn’t do it like that afterwards - and nor did anyone else!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby drakula63 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:58 pm

I should have guessed it was a Cliff Richard show of some sort... the letters C R on the left should have given it away. It's a good performance, but Hank seems to make a few mistakes. If these were intended, then they don't really work... to my ears anyway. Bruce seems to forget the choreography at one point too. Apart from that, perfect!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby bazmusicman » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:14 pm

In 1965 I had one of those TV Front AC30's that they are using.....( I think 10 were made for The Shadows ) I have a picture of me with it but I don't know how to post it!

Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:22 pm

According to http://www.cliffrichardsongs.com/crseries/ this performance of F.B.I. (recorded in January 1961) was transmitted on Thursday 2nd March 1961, episode 3 of the ATV series, Cliff. A ctrl-f search on F.B.I. will quickly locate this and subsequent broadcast versions of the tune. There is also a reference to the only known vocal version performed by CR in the one-off 1967 show, Cliff Richard.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:27 pm

drakula63 wrote:Hank seems to make a few mistakes. If these were intended, then they don't really work... to my ears anyway. Bruce seems to forget the choreography at one point too.

This was ATV, who were very stingy with studio time. If it was live, so much the better. If it was recorded, you did it "as live" and they wouldn't do retakes unless they had to. "Emergency Ward 10" was (initially) done live. "Crossroads" was recorded "as live", hence the notorious wobbling sets! Actors fluffing their lines knew the only way they could force a retake was to swear!

A minor mistake by a guitarist wouldn't be enough! Anyway, Jet did say of Hank, "the man was a genius - even his mistakes were in tune!"

Incidentally, EMI were much the same. There are plenty of mistakes in the early Shads recordings: as soon as a take was "good enough", the studio moved on regardless.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby EJK » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:29 pm

Back to the glory years.

No matching red guitars, no bow ties plus a gutsy driving performance.

Great!
EJK

Full Real Name: Eric Kidd

Postby dave robinson » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:03 pm

This is great and reinforces that the recording studio was the magic ingredient. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Fenderman » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:39 am

Very powerful performance but i'm not sure if Hank was tired or hungover but he made mistakes. Bruce was concentrating so hard on his playing he forgot the dance routine!
There's a small clip of this performance on the first episode of The Beatles Anthology series.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Return to The Shadows