Bruce With the white Telecaster

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Bruce With the white Telecaster

Postby iefje » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:21 am

RayL wrote:While the instruments are being played live on the Mumbling clip, Wllie is being mimed to a backing track (apart from Cliff's vocal?). As discussed in previous threads, that means that the instruments seen on stage are not necessarily the instruments that were used for the track.

I think "Willie And The Hand Jive" in the clip is pretty much a genuine live performance. All the guitars are plugged in and the movements on the guitars match with what you hear, although the sound and picture are a little bit out of sync, but that's probably because of the digital processing of the clip on YouTube. I have seen this same performance elsewhere before with perfectly synchronous sound and vision.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:04 pm

On this particular Willie video, the close-up shots suggest Cliff could have been miming too. My technical insight is non-existent, but presumably differing production considerations would determine why performances were (recorded) live for some shows and mimed to pre-recorded tracks on others?

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby RayL » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:40 am

iefje wrote:I think "Willie And The Hand Jive" in the clip is pretty much a genuine live performance.

Look at the way Hank and Bruce swing away from the mic after each chorus. Their voices stay at the same level, yet they have moved away from the mic.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby iefje » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:04 am

RayL wrote:
iefje wrote:I think "Willie And The Hand Jive" in the clip is pretty much a genuine live performance.

Look at the way Hank and Bruce swing away from the mic after each chorus. Their voices stay at the same level, yet they have moved away from the mic.

Yes, I noticed that, but as I said in my previous post, the sound and vision are out of sync here, so that may explain this. I have seen it before with sound and vision in sync.
iefje

Postby JimN » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:45 pm

RayL wrote:While the instruments are being played live on the Mumbling clip, Wllie is being mimed to a backing track (apart from Cliff's vocal?). As discussed in previous threads, that means that the instruments seen on stage are not necessarily the instruments that were used for the track.

That is true.

I think it's fair to say that this thread, though, is about instruments seen to be in use on particular dates rather than which instrument is used on a particular commercial recording.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:49 pm

iefje wrote:

I think "Willie And The Hand Jive" in the clip is pretty much a genuine live performance. All the guitars are plugged in and the movements on the guitars match with what you hear, although the sound and picture are a little bit out of sync, but that's probably because of the digital processing of the clip on YouTube. I have seen this same performance elsewhere before with perfectly synchronous sound and vision.

I remember Bruce saying, one year at Shadowmania, that the famous "in the studio" performance staged for one of these ATV shows (the one with Norrie Paramor pretending to supervise) was mimed and that the two-tone Ac15s weren't in use. But every sign, visual and aural, was that it was a live performance (live to videotape, if not live to transmitter).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby iefje » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:05 pm

JimN wrote:
iefje wrote:

I remember Bruce saying, one year at Shadowmania, that the famous "in the studio" performance staged for one of these ATV shows (the one with Norrie Paramor pretending to supervise) was mimed and that the two-tone Ac15s weren't in use. But every sign, visual and aural, was that it was a live performance (live to videotape, if not live to transmitter).

That must be this one:
iefje

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:30 pm

If that’s a mocked-up studio performance, where are the screaming girls supposed to be - and why?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby iefje » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:50 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:If that’s a mocked-up studio performance, where are the screaming girls supposed to be - and why?

Yes, I would hate to disagree with Bruce's recollection, but just like "Willie And The Hand Jive" this performance of "Gee Whiz It's You" looks and sounds genuinely live. The sound, ambience and also the volume of the performance sounds very 'in your face', much more than you would have with a pre-recorded track being played back in the TV studio. I could be fooled of course.
iefje

Postby RayL » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:19 pm

For me, 'Gee Whiz' is mimed. For example. the only 'drum mic' is way over on Tony's left and unlikely to pick up the kit with any accuracy, particularly if sound is coming out of the amps.
Oh yes, and even the 'studio clock' is miming badly - the hands don't move!
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows