Bruce With the white Telecaster

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Bruce With the white Telecaster

Postby JimN » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:31 pm

The studio clock, like the "Sound On" sign next to it, is a prop.

This isn't a recording studio, it's a corner of the ATV Elstree studio mocked up to look a bit like one. There are all sorts of clues as to that, including the most odd-looking mixing desk, laden with ammeters and ohmeters. The screaming girls are all part of the TV studio audience, behind the camera positions.

That is a live to camera performance. It's certainly not the issued record release.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Arpeggio » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:56 pm

Refs "Mumblin' Mosie": Uncle Fiesta: "Certainly not for that one - exploiting someone's speech impediment for musical purposes would surely be seen as politically incorrect these days!" Quite. Indeed "Mumblin' Mosie" was actually banned by the BBC for that very reason!! Aha....but read on, read on. In 1965 "My Generation" was slated for a BBC ban on account of Roger Daltrey's stuttering "Why Don't you all...F...F.. Fade away..." (etc). BUT......to the huge and massive embarrassment of the ultra starchy / stuffy Music and Dance Policy Committee (responsible for such bans)...it was pointed out to them (by a junior research aide) that "K...K..K..Katy (The Sensational Stammering Song)" had been performed on BBC radio over 2,000 times - most recently...the previous week on Sing Something Simple. Metaphorically 'Red - Faced' - they immediately rescinded the ban on "My Generation" AND....lifted the ban on "Mumblin' Mosie"!!!!! :lol:
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Postby artyman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:59 am

Look at the mess in the forum.... G G Granville F F Fetch a cloth :mrgreen:
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby iefje » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:50 am

Although the lyrics of "Mumblin' Mosie" seem politically incorrect nowadays, I still think it's a great rock 'n' roll song, if it was only because of The Shadows' tremendous accompaniment.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby iefje » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 am

Arpeggio wrote:Aha....but read on, read on. In 1965 "My Generation" was slated for a BBC ban on account of Roger Daltrey's stuttering "Why Don't you all...F...F.. Fade away..." (etc). BUT......to the huge and massive embarrassment of the ultra starchy / stuffy Music and Dance Policy Committee (responsible for such bans)...it was pointed out to them (by a junior research aide) that "K...K..K..Katy (The Sensational Stammering Song)" had been performed on BBC radio over 2,000 times - most recently...the previous week on Sing Something Simple. Metaphorically 'Red - Faced' - they immediately rescinded the ban on "My Generation" AND....lifted the ban on "Mumblin' Mosie"!!!!! :lol:

There are some other tracks by The Who with controversial lyrics, for which alternative vocal tracks were recorded, just to get them released in the United States! Their 1966 hit "Substitute" has the lyric "I look all white, but my dad was black", which was changed for the US version to "I try walking forward, but my feet walk back". Their 1978 hit "Who Are You" has the lyric "who the f*** are you", which was changed for the US version to "who the hell are you". In England both tracks were released with the original lyrics.
I think there are also a few cases where some of The Beatles' songs were considered controversial. "A Day In The Life" and "The Ballad Of John And Yoko" spring to mind.

I see I have gone quite off topic by the way. :o
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby JimN » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:29 pm

iefje wrote:
Arpeggio wrote:Aha....but read on, read on. In 1965 "My Generation" was slated for a BBC ban on account of Roger Daltrey's stuttering "Why Don't you all...F...F.. Fade away..." (etc). BUT......to the huge and massive embarrassment of the ultra starchy / stuffy Music and Dance Policy Committee (responsible for such bans)...it was pointed out to them (by a junior research aide) that "K...K..K..Katy (The Sensational Stammering Song)" had been performed on BBC radio over 2,000 times - most recently...the previous week on Sing Something Simple. Metaphorically 'Red - Faced' - they immediately rescinded the ban on "My Generation" AND....lifted the ban on "Mumblin' Mosie"!!!!! :lol:

There are some other tracks by The Who with controversial lyrics, for which alternative vocal tracks were recorded, just to get them released in the United States! Their 1966 hit "Substitute" has the lyric "I look all white, but my dad was black", which was changed for the US version to "I try walking forward, but my feet walk back". Their 1978 hit "Who Are You" has the lyric "who the f*** are you", which was changed for the US version to "who the hell are you". In England both tracks were released with the original lyrics.

Before the advent of the internet, it was possible for most people never to hear recordings as released in other territories. No chance of that nowadays.

iefje wrote:I think there are also a few cases where some of The Beatles' songs were considered controversial. "A Day In The Life" and "The Ballad Of John And Yoko" spring to mind.

One or two of The Beatles' lyrics seem to have gone unremarked outside Liverpool.

The "Walrus" line Yellow matter custard, dripping from a dead dog's eye, for instance, was quoted almost-but-not-quite verbatim from a Liverpool street skipping song (as unlikely as that may seem). And even in an adult forum such as this, I am not prepared to explain the meaning and significance of the Liverpool euphemism contained within the line: fish and finger pie.

Like a few others here, I've always had misgivings about the lyrics for Mumblin' Mosie.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby GoldenStreet » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:27 pm

JimN wrote:
Like a few others here, I've always had misgivings about the lyrics for Mumblin' Mosie.

Apart from the Johnny Otis original (wonder if a white Telecaster could have featured on it at all!), the only cover version of the period was by Cliff and the Shadows.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Previous

Return to The Shadows