Cliff’s Great 80 tour…and 34346

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Cliff’s Great 80 tour…and 34346

Postby George Geddes » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:30 am

There is a good photo on Bobby's Facebook page. The strap is round the headstock behind the nut! No drilling required..

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Teflon » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:26 pm

MeBHank wrote:.......... even with Cliff's track record of spoiling that guitar, like hell would they drill a hole in the wrong horn!

Your comment got me thinking (never a good idea!). I suspect that when Cliff had it sprayed white, 34346 was probably considered to be just another old guitar, and in it's day I'm sure it suffered it's fair share of knocks, mods etc. So if they had have drilled an extra hole to accommodate a strap button why wouldn't that have just been seen as another part of the guitars story?

Don't get me wrong, I'm as relieved as the next person that they didn't vandalise it in that way, but it just got me wondering: at what point in it's life did 34346 cease being "just an old guitar" and become an historic artifact that must be preserved in it's current state? Should it perhaps have been preserved in it's "original" re-fin colour of white as that formed part of it's history? Why is that any different from Rory Gallaghers Strat - no-one would ever advocate restoring that.

From a personal point of view, I'm glad the guitar was restored to it's former glory, and relieved that it's likely to stay that way, so I guess I'm just playing "Devils Advocate" whilst being a little bored on a quiet Sunday. All the same, it would be interesting to hear other views.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Gatwick1946 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:36 am

I think the fashion for old guitars grew in the mid-1970's. Old, well crafted instruments have always been valued by serious musicians, but once some players, possibly under the influence of recreational substances, started to miss-treat their expensive guitars, just because they could, then the general public started to follow the trend (as they usually do!). A bit like the fashion for ripping holes in expensive jeans? Always puzzled me that this never caught on with owners of expensive cars.

I think if there had been a hole drilled in the body of 34346, Bruce might have mentioned it at some point, as I recall he once said that a tuning peg had broken and been replaced. But, as Bruce has had a lot to remember over the years, perhaps not. After all, 34346 was a guitar off the production line, and had a slow rise to fame, boosted, IMHO, by the return to an all red Fender line-up in the early 1980's, by first Hank, then Bruce, Mark and Alan.

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby Teflon » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:23 am

Gatwick1946 wrote:............I recall he once said that a tuning peg had broken and been replaced..........

I had a conversation a while ago with the chap who arranged the restoration and re-fin of 34346. He mentioned the tuning peg, and said he kept the old one, feeling pleased to own a little bit of history. He was quite disappointed (but not at all surprised) when Bruce 'phoned him and asked for it back so it could stay with the guitar for completeness.

Cliff
Teflon

Postby drakula63 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:32 pm

I wonder if all the original coats of paint are under the new one, or were they all sanded off each time prior to repainting? If they are, then surely it would be possible to carefully remove the top layers and return the guitar to its original colour... be that flamingo pink or fiesta red, or whatever!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Teflon » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:38 pm

drakula63 wrote:I wonder if all the original coats of paint are under the new one, or were they all sanded off each time prior to repainting? If they are, then surely it would be possible to carefully remove the top layers and return the guitar to its original colour... be that flamingo pink or fiesta red, or whatever!

The story, as told to me, is that the guitar was disassembled, and some original red paint was discovered in the neck pocket. A very small, discrete mark was put in the neck pocket (to ensure the correct body was returned from paint) and instructions given to strip the body, and re-paint, matching the colour in the neck pocket. The body was returned looking splendid with it's new coat of paint, but there was some doubt as to whether the shade was correct. The guitar was nonetheless re-assembled (with replacement period correct tuning peg from Fender) and returned to Bruce. Bruce then used it on stage whilst wearing his white suit, and some of the fresh paint transferred to his jacket, so he returned the guitar, advising that "it's the wrong colour and has ruined my suit", so the whole re-fin process was repeated. This time, however, there was no longer any original paint left, so the colour was settled upon from photos and Bruces memory.

Cliff
Teflon

Postby GoldenStreet » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:20 pm

Teflon wrote:
The story, as told to me, is that the guitar was disassembled, and some original red paint was discovered in the neck pocket. A very small, discrete mark was put in the neck pocket (to ensure the correct body was returned from paint) and instructions given to strip the body, and re-paint, matching the colour in the neck pocket. The body was returned looking splendid with it's new coat of paint, but there was some doubt as to whether the shade was correct. The guitar was nonetheless re-assembled (with replacement period correct tuning peg from Fender) and returned to Bruce. Bruce then used it on stage whilst wearing his white suit, and some of the fresh paint transferred to his jacket, so he returned the guitar, advising that "it's the wrong colour and has ruined my suit", so the whole re-fin process was repeated. This time, however, there was no longer any original paint left, so the colour was settled upon from photos and Bruces memory.

I find myself wondering who settled the bill for all this! ;)

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby drakula63 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:56 pm

Thanks. So the original paint has long gone. A shame... as it has never had the right shade of red since. I suppose all the original paint went when it was repainted by Cliff in white. Oh well.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Previous

Return to The Shadows