Hank - Somewhere

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank - Somewhere

Postby drakula63 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:59 pm

THIS is worth watching. Great quality. I believe it may only be available for 24 hours...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV1CCU5njlU

00:14:56
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Hank - Somewhere

Postby JimN » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:20 pm

The tune is not Leonard Bernstein's Somewhere!

It's George Harrison's Something (in a similar arrangement to that played by The Shadows on "Shades Of Rock"). :-)

Who IS that girl who duets with Cliff on Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby GoldenStreet » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:43 pm

JimN wrote:
Who IS that girl who duets with Cliff on Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head?

Possibly this lady?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Lise ... 8st%C3%B8l

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Gatwick1946 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:52 am

Good to see this. There was a clip on Youtube, some years ago, of Hank playing Something on the greenburst Burns. But I had forgotten the use of 2 guitars live (not miming to a backing track?). Not done too often by musicians, but Hank and Bruce have switched guitars mid-tune on stage, usually with the 2nd guitar on a stand. Or even with the guitar swop done with the help of a roadie.

Nice to see a recording of this quality. Out of copyright now? - over 50 years old?

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby drakula63 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:28 am

JimN wrote:The tune is not Leonard Bernstein's Somewhere!

It's George Harrison's Something (in a similar arrangement to that played by The Shadows on "Shades Of Rock"). :-)

[/i]?

Yeah, I know. For some strange reason I just typed 'where' after the 'some'. No idea why. Must be old age.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:15 pm

Wow!! Thanks for the link to Cliff In Scandinavia. Watched the whole show....REALLY enjoyed it!!!!! Hahahaha. I recognised Alan Hawkshaw and Dave Richmond in the backing group....but who was on drums and rhythm guitar??? Does anyone know??? Might the drummer have been Rex Bennett (who played with Hank 1969 / 70 during his solo phase). Fascinating programme. :D
Arpeggio

Postby iefje » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:21 pm

Arpeggio wrote:Wow!! Thanks for the link to Cliff In Scandinavia. Watched the whole show....REALLY enjoyed it!!!!! Hahahaha. I recognised Alan Hawkshaw and Dave Richmond in the backing group....but who was on drums and rhythm guitar??? Does anyone know??? Might the drummer have been Rex Bennett (who played with Hank 1969 / 70 during his solo phase). Fascinating programme. :D

Some years ago, someone on this forum has said that the drummer was Kenny Clare and the rhythm guitarist Ritchie Tattersall, who also played guitar on Brian Bennett's second solo album "The Illustrated London Noise".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:50 pm

Many thanks Lefje. Top players all. :)
Arpeggio

Postby Alan Taylor » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:14 pm

Video now showing as unavailable - "private".
Alan Taylor

Full Real Name: Alan Taylor

Postby bgohara » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:03 pm

Gatwick1946 wrote:Good to see this. There was a clip on Youtube, some years ago, of Hank playing Something on the greenburst Burns. But I had forgotten the use of 2 guitars live (not miming to a backing track?). Not done too often by musicians, but Hank and Bruce have switched guitars mid-tune on stage, usually with the 2nd guitar on a stand. Or even with the guitar swop done with the help of a roadie.

Nice to see a recording of this quality. Out of copyright now? - over 50 years old?

Kindest regards,
Christopher

Doubt it was live - probably mimed to a re recorded backing track (ie not the studio released version) - but brilliant all the same and great presentation
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Next

Return to The Shadows