Produced by Bruce Welch

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Produced by Bruce Welch

Postby iefje » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:17 pm

During the last few weeks, I have dug out all original vinyl albums by Cliff Richard to listen to again.
Last Tuesday I listened to "I'm Nearly Famous" and yesterday to "Every Face Tells A Story". These albums, as well as "Small Corners" and "Green Light" are quite Shadows-related. Apart from "Small Corners", Bruce has produced these albums and Brian Bennett is on drums on the majority of "Every Face Tells A Story" and "Green Light" and entirely on "Small Corners". "Every Face Tells A Story" has fond memories for me, because I first heard it when I was just eight years old, back in the summer of 1990. My father recorded the entire "Thank You Very Much" album (also largely produced by Bruce, except for the four Shadows tracks, which were produced by Hank and Bruce) on a 90 minute cassette for my own use with the first eight tracks from "Every Face Tells A Story" after that. It wasn't until some years later when my father allowed me to play the original LP that I discovered the last four tracks from that album, which includes Cliff's version of "It'll Be Me Babe" and the great "Spider Man". That last track is somewhat strange but a great and extended rock song by Terry Britten, who is I think a great lead guitarist.
What's your opinion on these albums by Cliff?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: Produced by Bruce Welch

Postby drakula63 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:37 pm

Brilliant!

Green Light was the first Cliff album I ever got, in 1978, and I still think it's his best... maybe pipped to the post slightly by Rock 'n Roll Juvenile. Small Corners is a close second and, I believe, Bruce did produce one track on that album. Apart from his years with the Shads, I always feel that Cliff was at his best during the 1970s and this period produced his best albums. His choice of singles wasn't always the best, if indeed it was his choice, but the albums in general were faultless. Alan Tarney picked up the baton and produced some much tighter, 'pop' oriented albums. However, for me, Green Light and R 'n R Juvenile are Cliff's best. I believe that 'Green Light' and 'Ease Along' were the two tracks on which Trevor Spencer plays drums, rather than BB, and they should BOTH have seen singles. 'Spider Man' is awesome... that would have been brilliant played live! The b-sides from this period are also very good. Can't fault it.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:20 pm

drakula63 wrote:I believe that 'Green Light' and 'Ease Along' were the two tracks on which Trevor Spencer plays drums, rather than BB, and they should BOTH have seen singles.

Ah, that's interesting as I was wondering about that. Do you have more information about who plays guitar on which track and who plays bass guitar on which track on the "Green Light" album?
iefje

Postby iefje » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:22 pm

The track "Green Light" was of course an A-single in February, 1979. I think it is very commercial sounding and deserved to get higher in the charts than it did (no. 57).
iefje

Postby JimTidmarsh » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:53 pm

Didn't Cliff "give" Bruce the Strat in recognition of his services for the albums he produced"?
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby Teflon » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:20 pm

I've always had a real soft spot for "31st of February Street" - a very under rated album in my view. Love the others already mentioned, and, of course "I'm Nearly Famous" (has to be one of his best).

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Timcooper555 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:59 pm

iefje wrote:The track "Green Light" was of course an A-single in February, 1979. I think it is very commercial sounding and deserved to get higher in the charts than it did (no. 57).

Yes, agree. A great track, shame it wasn't a hit.
With the picture cover, it's one of the rarer Cliff 45s around.
Timcooper555

Full Real Name: Tim L. Cooper

Postby drakula63 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:15 pm

iefje wrote:
drakula63 wrote:I believe that 'Green Light' and 'Ease Along' were the two tracks on which Trevor Spencer plays drums, rather than BB, and they should BOTH have seen singles.

Ah, that's interesting as I was wondering about that. Do you have more information about who plays guitar on which track and who plays bass guitar on which track on the "Green Light" album?

Afraid not. I think Alan and Trevor are the only ones playing on Green Light and Ease Along. Therefore, the bass on the rest of the album is probably all Alan Jones. The others, guitars and keyboards, I have no idea. You can certainly hazard a guess by listening to their individual styles, but beyond that, I don't know. I guess Bruce would be the one to ask!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Unsospero » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:59 pm

iefje wrote:

All tracks:
Brian Bennett - Drums & Percussion
Trevor Spencer - Drums & Percussion
Guitar - Terry Britten
Guitar - Tim Renwick
Guitar- Alan Tarney
Bass - Alan Jones
Bass - Alan Tarney
Keyboards - Alan Tarney
Keyboards - Duncan MacKay
Keyboards - Graham Todd

Graham
Last edited by Unsospero on Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Unsospero

Full Real Name: Graham Wyld

Postby Moderne » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:12 am

I love all those LPs, and I think When Two Worlds Drift Apart (single and track from Every Face...) is one of the best songs I've ever heard. I really like the B-side - That's Why I Love You - too; one of the most perfect pop songs IMHO. Brilliant performances by Cliff + musicians, and brilliant production by Bruce.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Next

Return to The Shadows