Produced by Bruce Welch

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Produced by Bruce Welch

Postby iefje » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:35 am

Unsospero wrote:
iefje wrote:
drakula63 wrote:I believe that 'Green Light' and 'Ease Along' were the two tracks on which Trevor Spencer plays drums, rather than BB, and they should BOTH have seen singles.

Ah, that's interesting as I was wondering about that. Do you have more information about who plays guitar on which track and who plays bass guitar on which track on the "Green Light" album?

With the exception of Ease Along:
Brian Bennett - Drums & Percussion
Trevor Spencer - Drums & Percussion
Guitar - Terry Britten
Guitar - Tim Renwick
Guitar- Alan Tarney
Bass - Alan Tarney
Keyboards - Alan Tarney
Keyboards - Duncan MacKay
Keyboards - Graham Todd

Ease Along:
Guitar - Terry Britten
Keyboards - Alan Hawkshaw
Drums & Percussion - Trevor Spencer
Bass - Alan Tarney

Graham

That would mean that Alan Jones isn't featured on the album?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:55 am

I'm fairly sure that Alan Jones plays bass on all but two songs. I would guess that Tarney/Spencer are only on 'Green Light' and 'Ease Along'.

I listened to both Green Light and Every Face... last night. Incredible albums. Bruce did them all proud. My comments would be thus: Free My Soul really should have been a single. I think this could have been another Devil Woman. I really don't like Up In The World... always found this song dreary and depressing. I'd have replaced it with one of the b-sides... the b-sides were all outstanding, as good, in most cases, as the tracks on the albums.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Unsospero » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:53 am

drakula63 wrote:I'm fairly sure that Alan Jones plays bass on all but two songs. I would guess that Tarney/Spencer are only on 'Green Light' and 'Ease Along'.

I listened to both Green Light and Every Face... last night. Incredible albums. Bruce did them all proud. My comments would be thus: Free My Soul really should have been a single. I think this could have been another Devil Woman. I really don't like Up In The World... always found this song dreary and depressing. I'd have replaced it with one of the b-sides... the b-sides were all outstanding, as good, in most cases, as the tracks on the albums.

Sorry, you're quite right Alan is also credited, in Vic Rust's book, against all tracks.

On looking again, I've picked up the credits for the 'Live in Japan 72' album, and the studio album credits as per the rest of the album. I've amended my post to reflect.

Sorry ;)
Unsospero

Full Real Name: Graham Wyld

Postby iefje » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:17 pm

I'm not sure if I would use Victor Rust's books as a source for this kind of information. His book "The Shadows Recording Catalogue" is full of errors and inaccuracies. Les Woosey and Malcolm Campbell have written reviews about it:
http://www.malcolmcampbell.me.uk/rust-review-lw.pdf
http://www.malcolmcampbell.me.uk/rust-extended-review-mc.pdf

I don't know about "The Cliff Richard Recording Catalogue" though. Does anyone else know?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:34 pm

I think the Victor Rust book is a bit like Wikipedia, not to be relied on without checking. However it also contains lots of interesting stuff you won’t find elsewhere and it’s more readable than many.

As to bass players on Cliff material from those times, the two Alans (Tarney and Jones) were both involved. But so was Mark Griffiths.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby chas » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:38 pm

Always struck me as being a mistake once Bruce was no longer producing Cliff - I didn't find the material so good (with the odd exception) afterwards.
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Previous

Return to The Shadows