Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Check this guy out.

Postby Syd62 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:37 pm

Syd62

Full Real Name: Syd Langston

Re: Check this guy out.

Postby iefje » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:58 pm

It sounds as though he's playing along to the complete original Shadows version, so with Hank's lead guitar sound present. I very much doubt if he reproduces Hank's exact echoing guitar effect of the original single version. It sounds too perfect to me.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Syd62 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:18 pm

Wanted to see if it was just me but the sound is too exact and precise. It does sound like he's playing along to the record.
Syd62

Full Real Name: Syd Langston

Postby Teflon » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:11 pm

That's Herman Lee - lead guitarist with the Malaysian group "The Jigsaw". They're pretty good, and get a great sound :)
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby dave robinson » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:48 am

The Wonderful Land clip is the record, Peace Pipe is not, though quite good.
I have an app that recognises the original version, it's called 'Shazam'.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby fenderplucker » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:09 am

I recall that there was some discussion about him playing along with the Shadows CD's back in early 2020 and he posted a few tunes with "Shadows minus Hank" backings that sounded quite good. For example Wonderful Land: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCyCyCbUSTU

As noted above, he has also posted a number of Shadows tunes with his band "Jigsaw" that sound fairly close to the originals.

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby Tone » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:07 pm

I agree that WL sounds too good to be true whereas the clip of PP, although a good sound, has numerous differences from the original.

Dave - can the Shazam app differentiate between an original and a very close copy?

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby Teflon » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:54 pm

Tone wrote:......... Dave - can the Shazam app differentiate between an original and a very close copy?

Cheers.

Tony

Not always. A while ago I tested it against some of the recording made by Robby Januarsa ("Suaragitar" on Youtube). On some of his recordings, it identified them as Shadows originals until a certain part of the recording gave the game away, and on one (Man of Mystery I think) it was fooled completely. Probably says more about Robbys standard of playing than any shortcomings with the app though.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby nivramarvin » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:22 pm

Syd62 wrote:Wanted to see if it was just me but the sound is too exact and precise. It does sound like he's playing along to the record.

If he had at least played a real ending, we'd know if it's real. Covering a piece with fade out at least raises doubts.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby scouserjoe2 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:17 pm

Hi,

Wonderful Land is my favourite track of all time and I have spent hours and hours listening to all the various Shadows' recorded versions of it and have tried to replicate the original as close as I can. This is as close as I have heard, but it is just too close to convince me that this is an original piece of work even it has been achieved using a BT from a Shadows' recording with the lead removed.

For a start I was trying to work out which of The Shadows' versions of Wonderful Land that he could have been working with from which he might have simply removed the lead and was using as a BT. I was trying to listen for the tom-tom overdub that is only available on the original mono recording. It is near impossible to produce a BT by extracting the lead from that particular version, so if I could have detected the version he was using then it might have confirmed its lack of authenticity as a genuine original piece of work. However I was unable to decide.

The second thing I noticed, and Paul Rossiter might be able to shed some light on this subject and correct me if I am wrong, were the settings on his TVS3 unit. These do not figure with the sound he is getting. Throughout the recording the input signal barely shows more than one green indicator light. When I am playing, to achieve the kind of echo and ambience that is required for this number, I have to ensure that this indicator shows three green lights and sometimes peaks into the yellow. The lighter your touch and playing style, the harder it is to achieve the sound you are looking for - without turning the input dial to almost full on. This guy would appear to have a fairly light playing style, so I am not convinced that the settings he has on the TVS3 would achieve the sound we are hearing.

I had another listen to the recording mentioned by Paul in his post above, and although this is a very good version with many likenesses to the Shadows' original, the tone achieved on the palm muted section is the clear give away that it is not. That is usually the place where people have difficulty perfectly replicating the original (probably because Hank most likely used old strings when many of us use new ones).

As has already been noted, Robby Janurasa (Suragitar) produces some of the most accurate 'covers' of all, but good as they are, you can still spot the occasional differences in tone in some of his covers - including Wonderful Land.

Finally, the fade out (which almost perfectly matches the original recording) is a bit dubious also.

Cheers,

Ian
scouserjoe2

Full Real Name: Ian Evans

Next

Return to The Shadows