Check this guy out.

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Check this guy out.

Postby GoldenStreet » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:55 pm

At various points throughout, the sound of the plectrum against the apparently unamplified strings can be heard, particularly near the end at 1.50, which suggests to me it cannot be a genuinely reproduced sound performance.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Tone » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:59 pm

Teflon wrote:
Tone wrote:......... Dave - can the Shazam app differentiate between an original and a very close copy?

Cheers.

Tony

Not always. A while ago I tested it against some of the recording made by Robby Januarsa ("Suaragitar" on Youtube). On some of his recordings, it identified them as Shadows originals until a certain part of the recording gave the game away, and on one (Man of Mystery I think) it was fooled completely. Probably says more about Robbys standard of playing than any shortcomings with the app though.

Cliff

Thanks for that, Cliff.

Interesting thread!
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby AlanMcKillop » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:56 pm

In a number of his videos, he states that he is playing along with original tracks, which he claims allows him to get close to the original sound.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby JimN » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:52 am

scouserjoe2 wrote:...I was trying to work out which of The Shadows' versions of Wonderful Land that he could have been working with from which he might have simply removed the lead and was using as a BT. I was trying to listen for the tom-tom overdub that is only available on the original mono recording. It is near impossible to produce a BT by extracting the lead from that particular version, so if I could have detected the version he was using then it might have confirmed its lack of authenticity as a genuine original piece of work. However I was unable to decide.
Ian

See what you think of the Shadows' version at https://youtu.be/qdz9rav0h6I

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby fenderplucker » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:17 am

Hello Ian,

PM sent.

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby scouserjoe2 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:26 am

Jim,
Most interesting .. must investigate closer. :-)

Paul,
Have replied by PM.

Cheers,

Ian
scouserjoe2

Full Real Name: Ian Evans

Postby Tigerdaisy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:42 pm

iefje wrote:It sounds as though he's playing along to the complete original Shadows version, so with Hank's lead guitar sound present. I very much doubt if he reproduces Hank's exact echoing guitar effect of the original single version. It sounds too perfect to me.

Yes, I also have listened to WL many many times over the years and without a doubt you're mostly hearing the original Shadows track here, with this guy's playing very lightly layered over.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby petercreasey » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:58 pm

The big difference for me here is that when HBM played Wonderful Land( or anything else for that matter) he looked as though he was enjoying it !!!
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby nivramarvin » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:12 pm

GoldenStreet wrote:At various points throughout, the sound of the plectrum against the apparently unamplified strings can be heard, particularly near the end at 1.50, which suggests to me it cannot be a genuinely reproduced sound performance. - Bill

The microphone of his camcorder recorded the original music from the speakers and his plectrum noises. The washed-out overall sound of his video is based on this.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby dave robinson » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:22 pm

In the end as far as I'm concerned he fools nobody, but there's been a lot of time wasted discussing. Life's too short.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows