Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Check this guy out.

Postby george ridley » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:59 pm

Yes,exactly Dave.
george ridley

Full Real Name: george ridley

Postby shadphil » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:15 pm

Hi if you listen from 1.14 just after the muted section it sounds to me like he's playing along to the original.
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Postby chris mcbain » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:16 pm

If you read the comments below the video the on the six comment he replies and states he is playing along to the original CD track.
so there you are it was Hank all along.

Chris.
chris mcbain

Full Real Name: Christopher Mcbain

Postby shadphil » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:33 pm

So what is the point of videoing yourself playing along to the original and then putting it on youtube, am i missing something here.
shadphil

Postby chris mcbain » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:29 pm

Hi Phil,

Well it makes him look very good till you start to look at it in depth , I suppose most people just watch it and move onto something else especially if your not a guitar player
or trying to play shads stuff.

Chris.
chris mcbain

Full Real Name: Christopher Mcbain

Postby shadphil » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi Chris You are probably right its only us guitarists that scrutinise anything to do with the shadows music. phil
shadphil

Postby martcaster » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:20 pm

....... whilst we drummers sit and twiddle our thumbs? Or is that another generalisation? :D
Attachments
Brian.jpg
Brian.jpg (40.99 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
martcaster

Full Real Name: Martin Verrill

Postby GoldenStreet » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:20 am

martcaster wrote:....... whilst we drummers sit and twiddle our thumbs? Or is that another generalisation? :D

Brian could well have been thinking, what a lovely tune - or not! ;)

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby MMStingray54 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:56 pm

shadphil wrote:So what is the point of videoing yourself playing along to the original and then putting it on youtube, am i missing something here.

Millions of views in some cases and if monetised - quite an income I guess.

I’m not ashamed to say I’ve used other people’s playalongs to learn tricky bass lines I’ve never been able to work out myself - I find it quite enlightening sometimes to see other people’s takes on things - in the same way hearing isolated bass tracks - a good example is Hair by Graham Central Station (a mid 70s Larry Graham slap fest in a weird timing covered by the likes of Stanley Clarke - I’d never previously been able to fathom it…) - I learned it from a young Polish lady whose You Tube channel is called Juliaplaysgroove - all the more amazing as she was about 15 at the time she posted the video - I discovered it from seeing her cover of a Dua Lipa (recent chart artist for those who don’t know) song fairly recently - she’s a fabulous bass player - there are quite a few of these on You Tube.

I think one has to have an open mind about these things - yes, you will pick up things where people have obviously not got it quite right but equally, there are occasions when you learn something (as I did when I found out I have had one note wrong in the bass part to Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder, since I first learned it 30 odd years ago!!).

martcaster wrote:....... whilst we drummers sit and twiddle our thumbs? Or is that another generalisation? :D

BB looks about as bored, if not p..sed off as Ringo does in certain bits of Beatles docu footage of their later studio sessions whilst the others irritate each other about the niceties of certain note or chord choices!!
MMStingray54

Full Real Name: Don Vann

Postby Garystrat » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:36 am

This to me is someone that’s really worth listening to, the last video is about his Meazzi restoration and he seems to have a collection really nice echo units!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCheUfWMkSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6t2n2A4jBM

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaCOax ... EEw/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkau3Tc_c5c

I was surprised to have only recently come across his videos!
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows